Librem 5 — Promise Delivery Chart

Hi @Caliga,

Change:
high resolution screen | ~220 DPI, 720x1440
To:
high resolution screen | 282 DPI, 720x1440

This gets it closer to 300 DPI, which Apple defined as the minimum for its “Retina Display”.

Then it should be:

(Developed Completely New Software):
Phosh, Chatty, Calls, libhandy, feedbackd, haegtesse, wys

or:

(Developed New Software):
Phosh, Phoc, Squeekboard, Chatty, Calls, libhandy, feedbackd, haegtesse, wys

If Plasma Mobile is verified to work on the postmarketOS port for the Librem 5, then change to:
:white_check_mark: | Runs Plasma Mobile | using the postmarketOS port

Also change to:
:white_check_mark: | Collaboration KDE | support for Qt/KDE apps added to Phosh, and can use Plasma Mobile with postmarketOS

OK, then use:
(Power Delivery quick charging) | more info

(I updated the FAQ with Sebastian’s latest comments on charging).

1 Like

Also, battery news: https://puri.sm/posts/librem-5-4500mah-battery-upgrade/

3 Likes

On modem related news :smiley:

We have a new modem option to announce, the very coveted T1 modem variant to cover Australia an the South East Asia region. More information bellow.

@Caliga I know you had many such requests, but: can you update the post with this info?

1 Like

@mladen added 3rd battery upgrade
@joao.azevedo added fifth modem option
(more updates when I got time…)

1 Like

Danke! :smiley:

1 Like

I think you should add the following promise to your post:

A few people are interested in this.

Not sure in which way it should be included - do you mean “it is possible to update all remaining binary blobs” or “we hope to eventually free as much of these firmwares as possible”? Also, you probably rather meant Kyle’s earlier response: !?

The promise is

we [will] document the process in our Librem 5 developer docs at some point, when it’s relevant (such as when there’s an update to apply)

In other words, Purism should explain how to update proprietary firmware for Wi-Fi and modem at some point (at least when new firmware is available). The original question was about the proprietary firmware in RAM, so that firmware may also be updatable at some point I guess.

@amosbatto replied in that Hacker News thread that Purism already explained how to update the modem firmware. Now I am expecting explanations how to update the other two things.

My comment is probably a bit clumsy but :
you’re going from someone who says “I would expect” to “The promise is
Isn’t it a bit jumping on conclusion ?

it doesn’t feel like a formal promise

You would be right if you only considered this comment without the context. But the context is what quoted by @Caliga above:

Without a possibility to update firmware, you can end up with an insecure device if any bugs are found in it. Thus even a promise of a “secure” device would not be fulfilled in such case.

People may be interested in reading my comment on Hacker News about the security of firmware blobs, and why I think Purism has the right strategy for achieving change:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=25518389

5 Likes

@Caliga: Thanks again for all the work on this!
One question regarding the FCC / CE Certifications: There was a confirmation that they are still being worked on, If I am not mistaken, but they are not available yet and thus also delayed?

Yes:

Librem 5 Update: Shipping Estimates and CPU Supply Chain

I did not see such statement.

Thanks a lot for confirming what I remembered regarding the ongoing FCC / CE certification. Your second remark left me a bit puzzled though: The statement you linked dates from January 12th - a date at which point the shipping of the final mass production batch Evergreen was already well underway - without the FCC / CE certification promised for the Evergreen batch - to me this already officially proves the delay that should be included in the promise delivery chart. In addition to that, the latest Librem 5 news summary from today does not mention any finalisation regarding this topic - and this would certainly have been the topic of a big separate advertisement post given the fact that even the adaptation of a single app can be the topic of a separate news post. Don’t get me wrong - this has nothing to do with bashing of any sorts, but if there is a delay then this should be noted here to provide an up to date view on the state of the topics.

1 Like

Finally working!

3 Likes

Dev kit works on mainline Kernel: https://puri.sm/posts/librem-5-support-in-mainline-linux/.

2 Likes

EU reseller spotted: Linuxnordic.com

4 Likes

They claim “on stock” and asking DKK 15975 (1 DKK = 0.13 EUR, i.e. 2076 EUR).

1 Like

So, now that the Librem 5 has fulfilled shipping parity, where does the promise delivery chart currently stand?

1 Like