Librem 5 Signal app -- newbie

You assume well.
For the moment, I use my android-Legacy phone as a WiFi Hotspot to provide internet connection to my Librem5. Next week I should receive a french SIM (with a nominative contract since anonymous SIM is illegal in France :roll_eyes: ) .I don’t think it’s the root cause of the issue, I’d be really surprised if it would.

Anyway, I made a traceroute from my L5 to elagost.com all hops are in ipv4, so I guess it’s not an ipv6 issue.

and regarding the curl from a laptop, tonight I’ll be able to do this via the android hotspot and this week-end via a regular FTTH internet connection. I’ll keep you posted.

Excellent, thanks! Last update to the repo is 2 weeks ago, which is promising as, for example, Axolotl hasn’t had an update since November and is broken for registration currently.

That complicates things significantly. Indeed, I would try to reduce the number of hops and cut the Android middleman.

(BTW, looks like write:errno=104 means that the peer/Android/any hop in between is sending a TCP RST packet (which cURL confirms).)

I guess you’re right
here’s the result from my laptop:

to be continued this week-end …

the weird thing is that I can install stuffs using apt, I can surf on the net (http and https) without any error…
:thinking:

I would be surprised if the hotspot is not the root cause.

It is possible that this is an MTU issue but how much time do you want to spend trying to make it work?

hi there

you were definitly right. the android hotspot was the rootcause of the issue.
i receive my sim card, and i could install the Signal flatpack as ecxpected !
thank you verrrrry much for your help !

it feels so great to see this blue screen :slight_smile: (not the windows one)

3 Likes

How does it work on mobile. ?

it’s working fine on 4G network :slight_smile:

the issue is more en the screen size management

How the user interface. Is it OK on the librem 5. Is it librem5 mobile friendly

here’s what it looks like for the moment.

also the keyboard shows off in front of the message you’re typing…
but maybe it’s something that can be customized. i’ve just installed it

Thank you for letting me know

1 Like

welcome !

i hope it will get better in the future. but at least it works !

a lot of people is pushing so i guess it’s only a matter of time to get a proper Signal user interface :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Have you tried scaling it?

You can collapse the sidebar to show just avatars after attaching a mouse and dragging it to the left :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I recommend making the left pane with the contacts smaller. I did that in convergence mode with a mouse.

BTW: audio calls via Signal work well on my L5.

1 Like

Installed it today in a Docker container: I was able to register using it and then link Flare to it on the Librem 5 :partying_face:

And Flare seems to working reasonably well, so count me happy.

how do you get flare to work? i just keep getting the libsecret error.

1 Like

I didn’t encounter that. I just installed the Flare 0.8.0 Flatpak from Flathub, launched it, used the QR code, and after a minute or so my contacts came up.

This is crazy I have now even set up the Librem5 with a new image. Again and again this error.
Currently I try it with the version from the Purism Flatpack, before I used the regular sources. Always the same error.