Librem 5 USA - Read Before Ordering

Potentially, sure. But I’d question why it’s the only section to be hidden behind a login-wall.

For what it is worth, I agree that this post should be classified under “Librem 5” and not under “Round Table”.

However, I do wonder if the information is correct, since I just received a Librem 5 USA.

4 Likes

For sake of transparency, this is the email I received. I was explicitly told my Librem 5 USA.

3 Likes

Nope. Purism had nothing to do with it.

I moved it because it looked to be chock full of your personal opinions and agenda. If it were being censored then it would have disappeared, or at least be closed (locked), neither of which happened.

As it is, well, people are free to engage in further futile argument and argy-bargy. Go your hardest …

1 Like

It seems to me that you are stretching it quite a bit. For some reason you have erased the day of April from your picture (so much “for sake of transparency”…), but a “2” appears as what seems to be a first digit, which means you ordered your phone in a day between 20th and 30th of April. Your wayback machine says “Place your order now, get in approximately 6 to 8 weeks!” in Purism’s announcement, which means that you should have received your phone by 30th of June at the latest. That means that so far Purism is one month late (one month).

Then, two days ago, you received the email from Purism saying that you will receive your phone “within two months time”. Maybe your first language is not English, but “within two months time” does not mean after two months, it means that your phone will be shipped any day starting from 1st of August until 30th of September.

In the best case scenario your phone will be shipped tomorrow, with one month delay. In the worst case scenario your phone will be shipped by the end of September, with a total delay of three months.

But you don’t know which one it will be yet, and so far Purism is only one month late with your phone. Does it make sense to start a smear campaign both here and on Reddit for a delay of one month? Wouldn’t it be better to wait, stick to the facts, and complain for your very very long waiting after you have received a phone really too late according to you?

It seems to me that rather than complaining about your month delay you felt the urgent need to vent about Purism “luring new purchasers”.

It’s okay if you are happy with that. Boring for me.

You’ve moved it into a section that the public, who are the demographic affected by this, cannot access.

The demographic of this entire thread are the people who aren’t a part of the forums, who have not ordered a Librem 5 USA yet.

Can you understand why you moving into a section where only members actively involved in the Purism thread can access, can be interpreted as suspicious?

The thread I linked is full of personal opinions, look at the summary provided by the poster.

“That means that so far Purism is one month late”

• Or, 4 weeks (50% of their approximate shipping time).

“That means that so far Purism is one month late”

• Remember, I ordered in April. They still have to get through April’s backlog, May’s backlog and June’s backlog.

“It seems to me that rather than complaining about your month delay you felt the urgent need to vent about Purism “luring new purchasers”.”

• I ordered my phone in April. It has been 14 weeks since I ordered it. Thereoetically, if I am the next person in line, the estimated shipping time should be adjusted. However, I can almost guarantee you I’m not the next person in line.

Ultimately, it takes 20 seconds to go to the Librem 5 USA order page and alter the approximate shipping date. However, they haven’t done that. Despite well knowing, that people who ordered their Librem 5 USA 14 weeks ago have still not received it.
They have not reached shipping parity and more importantly, if you go to the latest news update you can see

If the phone is in stock, why am I still waiting?

There might be many answers to that question, but you are asking to the wrong people. A forum is populated by the community – people like you – while you should ask Purism instead if you really want an answer to your curiosity.

Rather, a striking question comes to my mind after reading your story. Why buying a phone for a price which clearly implied a leap of faith, hope, generosity and good will from a costumer, for then exploding in resentment already after a month of delay? That does not really strike me as a “typical” behavior from a Librem 5 USA purchaser – I mean, I don’t want to imply with certainty that you are projecting your own feeling of shame for spending so much money for a phone into the manufacturer’s “mistakes” (delays), but what other explanation can there be?

And before I get told to “wait 60 days”.

60 days ago, it was 03/06/2021.

Look at the news post on 02/06/2021.

60 days.

And before that, https://puri.sm/posts/manufacturing-the-librem-5-usa-phone-in-the-united-states-of-america/

Yes (although I wouldn’t use the word “suspicious” - what exactly are you suspecting? I already said that Purism has zero role in moving this topic.).

Yes. Do you think it too should be moved to Round Table? It is probably an equally pointless topic. It will no doubt eventually go off the rails into wild digressions, and maybe a bit of name calling … and then it might be either closed or moved.

That is the reality of this forum … often veering off topic.

You are still free to express your opinion in this topic and plenty of people will read your opinion and disagree with it, and argue against you.

If you actually have a problem with the delivery of your phone, only Purism can sort that out for you - and this forum is not a formal support channel.

You’ve moved your point of focus to me personally, instead of requesting the company to answer my query of why the shipping estimate has not been updated?

Very well, because this was the latest post prior to me purchasing.

By moving my topic on a forum that is hosted by Purism you represent Purism. How is that not clear?

So you admit there is no consistency within your moving of topics? Both full of personal opinions, but that one is able to be seen by the public. Despite this one more likely being in the public’s interest.

I have tried and it turns out the information I provided may have been incorrect. How do you think I received the initial email?

As it has begun, I’ll leave everyone this from my initial post on this thread. Arguing on opinions is a waste of time.

It’s not true - and that gives the claim a lack of clarity.

But I hope there was just a stuff-up with your order and it will now soon be winging its way to you - and then you can enjoy your phone and if there’s something that the community can actually help you with then maybe that will happen.

They sent you an email, “updating the shipping estimate” is literally what they did. As for the “why”, have you asked them about it?

The “latest post prior to you purchasing” only says

We have completed the process of rounding up components for Librem 5 USA and once everything has arrived we hope to start production of the Librem 5 USA PCBA in April. We will also continue to ship through our Librem 5 backlog in April and hope to provide an update on the next round of Librem 5 shipments.

It does not even estimate a date, it only hopes “to start production of the Librem 5 USA PCBA in April”…

The more I read about your story the less convincing your resentment appears to me – but I am only a random reader.

UPDATE:

It appears I may have been accidentally provided incorrect information from a customer service representative.
I have removed all posts from external forums as if this is a mistake from a representative, the last thing I want to do is for them to suffer repercussions. I have no issues with them and do not want to negatively affect their employment for a mistake. Despite what it may appear as, I do not want any of this to negatively impact a specific individual. My main concern is that people who are ordering the phones are not being provided the correct estimated shipping times, upfront. This is an issue with Purism the body itself and not any individual employee.

My disagreement is with Purism itself, not the customer service representative.

My post in here and on the Purism subreddit will remain until the expected shipping date situation is elaborated on, as that is my main point of contention and despite them providing me the incorrect details mistakenly, I have not been provided accurate details as of yet.

3 Likes

So now you have even got an answer about why it was the right decision to make this conversation private…

2 Likes

Please remove the inaccurate details. We all want transparency right?

What inaccurate information? I said it appears, that’s not confirmed. If you read the last sentence of the comment you just quoted, you would understand.
Everything I have stated up until this point is accurate.

The shitstorm you initiated on an external site. To me it seems like your practice is maliciously or negligently baiting…

1 Like