Some of these I’ve aired before, others not. Most, I think, can be fixed in software.
- Should really tell you what the battery charge percentage is on the lock screen. It’s annoying to have to unlock the phone just to see the charge percentage.
- The privacy settings for lockscreen don’t seem to work (or I flatly don’t understand them). I want the screen to power off quickly (to save battery juice), but not LOCK for several minutes; that way I can set the phone down, do something else for three minutes, and not have to unlock it. As it is, if the screen goes off the phone locks, despite settings that supposedly will let you set a delay.
- Sometimes when I am midway through typing in the PIN to unlock the phone, it simply goes black again, and I have to do it again. (this item and the one above make me wonder if there are TWO instances of the lock screen software running, somehow, with perhaps only one of them paying attention to the settings panel.)
- Why does the phone power on when I put the battery in? Shouldn’t it stay off until explicitly powered on?
- The calculator app keeps popping the virtual keyboard up, even though it has a built-in number pad. If I change views or do anything, up pops the keyboard, and I have to shove it back out of the way.
- (This one is hard to reproduce, but I think the following will suffice). If I put all of the kill switches “down” (ie. OFF/Killed) and start the phone, as expected the screen rotation portrait/landscape must be done manually. Turning them ON after powering up doesn’t seem to re-enable the automatic rotation, and you can’t get to it through the swipe-down settings panel; all it will let you do is manually set the orientation. (I tried a long press; it doesn’t work). Going into settings->display reveals a screen orientation option, but it’s mislabeled; it says you are in landscape in vertical mode, and portrait in horizontal mode. A restart is necessary to restore the automatic rotation as an option. The sub menu in settings does NOT show up if you turn off all the kill switches AFTER the phone has been started. In other words the screen rotation software doesn’t seem to properly respond to the sensor being killed/unkilled with the kill switches while the phone is running, AND that one settings panel has portrait and landscape confused.
Most critical for me, though, is a hardware issue and support is now being non-responsive. I can’t get the modem to work. I’m on T-mobile (USA), and Support sent me a second modem with what was supposed to be a different firmware version that would work. However, it doesn’t, and they’ve not responded to two emails now where I told them it doesn’t work. So my phone is not a phone.
EDIT: Support did get back to me. They responded instantly the first time, which spoiled me, and it took a few days this time. (We’re now going through a third iteration, since they asked for a log file; I now know not to be concerned unless it takes over a week to get back to me.)