Librem Mini Teardown

those are some harsh highlights reflected in the plastic ! argh my eyes hurt (even though my monitor is in reading-mode) :wink:

I didn’t take the pictures :stuck_out_tongue: You’ll have to wait for the video to see them un-highlighted.

Done!

4 Likes

Do keep us with this. Let me know how it runs once fully assembled and working.

I did some light gaming, video editing, and compiling on it yesterday and the temperatures never exceeded 35C and idle was around 30C (running Debian). I’m going to install PureOS on it and will record a screencast.

2 Likes

Cool. Thanks for Sharing.

1 Like

If you have any requests for free software you’d like me to try out in the video let me know.

A little look at the completed system before I put the cover on:

do you have an lbry link by any chance ? i only visit snoop-tube rarely and in special circumstances …
Merry Christmas btw and thanks for posting !

1 Like

lbry://YDXJ0057#5

1 Like

I would love to see Purism sell a Mini like that. Do you mind sharing where you got the parts?

1 Like

Case and cooler are from HDPlex, USB extensions are from ebay (the USB C one comes with the HDPlex kit). M.2 extensions/adapters are from Amazon.

I designed the backplate, motherboard adapter, and CPU adapter, they were manufactured for me by OctagonPrecision

Unfortunately I’ve been really busy this last week so haven’t had time to setup the system or properly use it, but looking forward to (hopefully) running it as my main system next year.

I’ll try and get the build video edited and uploaded in the next couple of weeks.

I’d prefer Purism’s next mini to be a standard form factor mini ITX board with a desktop CPU. The board in the current mini is a proprietary form factor and nobody (manuafacturer, resellers, or Purism) would give me the dimensions or hole spacings for it so I had to measure it myself. HDPlex were great though and gave me an interactive 3D CAD model with every measurement I could need and more. Unfortunately it was in a proprietary, Windows only, viewer, but at least I got the info and it saved me a lot of time.

2 Likes

Purism has the server offerings but they are EXPENSIVE ! also 1U and 2U are LOUD … i wouldn’t recommend anyone to use less than 80mm fans for modding unless they are SILENT !

home-lab is an interesting concept to experiment on for sure but there aren’t many free-software/open-hardware solutions out there …

the heat-dissipation solution you present is definitely superior to the crammed up one in the standard LMini. are you using a UPS with yours ?

What’s a UPS?

Uninteruptible-Power-Supply. usually a 12v battery (acid-type) with some AVR automatic voltage regulation and some clever tricks on top in the more expensive models … it’s basically a must if you don’t want your equipment to suffer from Black/Brown-outs …

That hadn’t even occured to me, we don’t tend to get power cuts where I live.

Finally got around to editing and uploading the video of the fanless case build. It’s on YouTube but once it’s synced to Odysee I’ll post a link to it there as well.

5 Likes

Nice job with the video and nice job with the project.

I hear you re the silence, pun intended.

The $64,000 question … how much did it all cost? the case, the power supply, all the accessory parts and the fabrication of the plates etc.?

Librem Mini on sale was about £360
The HDPlex case with NUC heatsink and PSU was - £230
The waterjet parts were - £220! High price was due to the little standoffs I wanted, without these it would have been about £70.
Various adapters and extensions < £50.

2 Likes

that’s a few Eddies you’ve invested there … well worth it i imagine :nerd_face:

thank you for the input !

1 Like