Librem5 - A custom squeekboard keyboard tutorial

Looks like UTF 8 (current locale)

Thanks for the info.
I’ve managed to get it working somehow.
Not with using us.yaml and us_wide.yaml, but with using my renamed test files.
I don’t know why it started working though.
First I had the wide layout in both views, that suddenly changed in having the standard layout in both views.
It needs to be investigated, but I call it a day.
Time to get some sleep.
C ya

With a new day ahead and a good night sleep, one can see what’s wrong.
A simple typo in the file name was causing the not working wide layout.

So it works, but only after editing the /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev.xml.

Putting the us.yaml and us_wide.yaml in the appropriate folder didn’t work for me without altering evdev.xml.

It’s looking great, but to be honest, the wide layout is occupying to much of the screen.
Gonna test it a bit longer and see if it’s a matter of “getting used to it”.

1 Like

To get the logs from Squeekboard on PureOS, check this: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/debs/squeekboard/-/blob/pureos/byzantium/debian/hacking.md

1 Like

Great tip.
Those logs are revealing some the issues I’ve experienced.
This helps troubleshooting them.

To the best of my knowledge, there’s no way to “shorten” the wide layout. Or I would definitely do it, because I agree, it takes too much dang space. Between that and the top of whatever app you’re running, useful real estate is scant. (I’m just glad we haven’t gone the way of Microshaft and their never-to-be-sufficiently-damned “ribbon.”)

Apart of changing the display size, that is correct. It will change at some point.

1 Like

I would create a (literally) two row layout for wide, if it made any difference. (Unlike the one I did create it wouldn’t look like a physical keyboard, as a consequence.) Maybe I’d be the only one who likes it. I was surprised at the interest my layouts did get. (They’re not for the fat fingered two-thumbs typists by any means, but I type on virtual keyboards very slowly anyway, one finger; nothing like how I touch type on a physical keyboard. If I try to go fast even a large-keys layout like yours won’t stop me from making a zillion typos.)

Adding this to the thread because I was a dummy and didn’t back up the evdev.xml file before I started messing with it.

/usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev.xml

If I could get a clean copy of the file or perhaps a way to restore it that would be appreciated.

I managed to fix my evdev.xml using visual studio and showing all the spaces that I needed to remove and I was also able to load this keyboard layout.

Question, I like to run my phone at 150% scale, how would I scale up the keyboard, because it’s a bit too small at that scale at the moment.

You should reinstall the xkb-data package to restore the file:

sudo apt reinstall xkb-data
1 Like

We don’t have a size override for the keyboard panel yet. This issue might offer some solutions if you’re interested in contributing: https://gitlab.gnome.org/World/Phosh/squeekboard/-/issues/363

Perfect thanks for this for future reference, in case I do something dumb again.

I appreciate what all of you are doing, I’m growing more and more attached to my Librem 5 every day, keep up the good fight.

1 Like

That URL leads to an error page. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Battery replaced (up and running again).

Not for me.

1 Like

Works for me now too but I assure you that after @shopping4purism made his post, I tested the link and I too received an error page. So I guess it was some temporary problem. Unfortunately I didn’t get a screenshot, so you will have to trust me. :slight_smile:

I can confirm that it’s working again. Maybe someone was working at the host.

1 Like

I have edited a German layout file (de.yaml) and saved it into the local/share/squeekboard/keyboards directory, and edited the evdev.xml in order to be able to used diacritical characters in Dutch, because the Dutch layout files did not offer this possibilty.
This works like a charm. So, thank you very much for the instructions.

Now, I would like to use other yaml’s as examples for further tweaks to my custom Dutch yaml, and for producing a wide version. I found the de.yaml somewhere online. But what I would like to know, is where are the other yaml files stored on my L5? Or is there a repository of these files online somewhere?

1 Like

Take a look: https://gitlab.gnome.org/World/Phosh/squeekboard/-/tree/master/data/keyboards