LUKS password prompt not appearing - Dual boot

I have recently installed Parabola on my second hard drive. I have managed to get everything set up and running well except one problem. After selecting Parabola in the Pureboot menu, it proceeds to start the kernel, but doesn’t display a prompt for the LUKS password. The last thing I see is []kexec_core: Starting new kernel.

I can still enter my LUKS password, and it will boot as normal to the desktop environment, but I cannot see the prompt.

If Parabola has any trouble booting, for example a systemd service that failed, Then it displays the previously completed password prompt, and the error message for the systemd service.

I am not sure if this is a Pureboot, or a Parabola problem…

Is there anyway to see this prompt originally without having to install something from the AUR such as Plymouth? I don’t want a fancy bootloader, just a text prompt would be fine.

I have tried playing around with mkinitcpio hooks and kernel parameter, both don’t seem to fix the problem.

A little information about how my system is set up:

Pureboot with HEADS to boot
Shared unencrypted /boot partition using grub on the main drive.
LUKS encrypted partition on main drive for PureOS.
LUKS encrypted partition on secondary drive for Parabola

1 Like

hi, would you mind filling an issue here: https://source.puri.sm/pureos/packages/smartcard-key-luks/-/issues ?

1 Like

Thanks for your response. I have signed up for an account in order to file the issue, and am awaiting confirmation from the Gitlab administrator.

1 Like

it proceeds to start the kernel, but doesn’t display a prompt for the LUKS password. The last thing I see is []kexec_core: Starting new kernel.

Sounds similar to the problem I’ve had trying to install Arch on Librem14. I used the guide on this forum along with the wiki but kept getting stuck on the same screen. Gave up and installed Fedora for now.

Just want to mention that I had this problem as well (and would have tried to just type in the LUKS passphrase if it wasn’t for this post).

For me, it looks like there has not been created an issue for this on the linked gitlab. Are you working on this problem anyway? @joao.azevedo

I can confirm this is happening for me too.

I’m using Pureboot+HEADS and installed arch on luks encrypted root partition

Same as above, last thing I see is kexec_core: Starting new kernel. with the caret being static (not flashing). I am able to type the password and hit enter. If I enter it correctly it proceeds to booting. If I enter it incorrectly, it will accept further attempts until I get it right and then proceed to booting. It almost seems as if the prompt is running and behaving as it normally would, its just not getting printed to screen.

I’ve signed up on your GitLab instance to submit this as an issue, I just need to be approved by an admin first (username: wccr)

I had the same problem. Thanks to the hint that booting actually works and there’s just nothing visible, I managed to solve my problem by loading the i915 module.

In mkinitcpio.conf

MODULES=(i915)
3 Likes

brilliant! adding that module worked for me as well. Thanks!

1 Like