microSD cardreader not working

I’m certainly not expert here but still think that lsscsi tool might help (while: No medium found) further:
sudo apt install lsscsi

Now, this outputs confirm properly working microSD card reader (with /dev/sda1 mounted):

EDIT: This time I’ve used Jumpdrive to upload here related Screenshot and happy to confirm below sudo fdisk -l output (as Librem 5 still connected to my computer), useful one:

Disk /dev/sdc: 29.12 GiB, 31267487744 bytes, 61069312 sectors
Disk model: e microSD       
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk /dev/sdb: 29.12 GiB, 31268536320 bytes, 61071360 sectors
Disk model: e eMMC
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

@pit, please let us know if related /dev/sdX for Disk model: e microSD output visible to you?

1 Like

sudo dmesg | grep usb-storage would be microSD related one, please post output of yours here.

Thanks. The outputs of the commands with lsscsi are identical no matter if the card is inserted or not, and they are identical to your outputs.

This is the output of sudo dmesg | grep usb-storage:

[    4.072756] usb-storage 1-1.1:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
[    4.074222] scsi host0: usb-storage 1-1.1:1.0
[    4.074519] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage

Could you post the output of the following commands on the librem5 (when a card is inserted):

lsusb
sudo dmesg | grep mmc
sudo lsblk
sudo fdisk -l

This one looks good to me, as it should be! Other outputs from my phone, that you requested, would not bring us where you need to get (and not have much time at the moment). But below posting of yours makes me believe that we need to reformat your microSD card(s). Let me think about on how to do that, let me know if you want to reformat your microSD card outside of the Librem 5.

While mounted microSD card should read like this (mine here is of size 32GB, just by coincidence at this moment):

sda    8:0  1 29.1G 0 disk 
└─sda1
       8:1  1 29.1G 0 part /media/pur

Ok, I formated the sd cards to exfat, ext2, ext4, vfat. No change.
I will contact purism the following day, if I get no further. If you (or someone else with a functioning sd reader in the librem5) have time, it would be great to see the output of

lsusb
sudo dmesg | grep mmc
sudo lsblk

Thanks.

1 Like

@pit, as you are really ready (because I think that your microSD card, as is now, isn’t readable within Librem 5) to sacrifice (erase all of your current data) one of your microSD cards you might start here (further steps, actual formatting, as needed, might afterwards be done on Librem 5 as well):

Etc.

1 Like

Hopefully the image of the output of those commands helps. It looks to me that the card reader hardware can be seen but the card is not being recognised, as you say you have tried a number of cards all of which work on another Linux system, I’d be inclined to think it’s a hardware fault.

Adding fdisk output…

2 Likes

@pit, perhaps sharing here fdisk --list output of used microSD card(s), from outside of the phone, might help us further. And even cleaning contacts of used SanDisk Ultra microSD (or other one) with some microfiber cloth might indeed help to be recognized within here related device.

Thank you all for your feedback. Great community. I’ll keep you posted, if there is a solution.

Good idea, I’ll try this, although the sandisk is brandnew, the samsung ones are older.

I assume it is a contact problem between sd card and sd cardreader, or a circuit problem between reader and board.

1 Like

I have to ask cause there were cases like that before - are you 100% sure you’re putting the card the right way in?

If so, then it’s probably best to contact support.

(also, please move the tray only when the phone is off, it isn’t really meant to be hotplugged)

1 Like

This is the way I insert the card:

That should be right?

1 Like

Yes indeed (Thanks!), and @pit, I really do hope that this might be solution here within this thread (as I even took BPP-L503 battery out before inserting microSD card into the Librem 5 microSD slot, with contacts facing up toward flashlight side), as shown within picture you’ve just posted.

1 Like

I now took the battery out for an hour. Afterwards I inserted sd card and battery back. Nothing changed.

1 Like

@Loki and I just hoped that we can help you. Consequently now I’m admitting that is much better that you address your microSD issue toward support@ team from Purism, as @dos already recommended here.

1 Like

Yes, thank you once again, I will contact them tomorrow.

1 Like

Lol the MicroSD card can’t be hotplugged? I am having them same issue so I decided to test another another MicroSD and they work without issue on Android and I’m just now finding this out with the hotplug issue… Can this cause the SD card reader to short circuit?

Yes, possibly. Switch it off before swapping cards.
https://docs.puri.sm/Librem_5/Setup.html#install-the-nano-sim-card-and-microsd-card

1 Like

Kinda sad to hear that. I will be careful with future removals of my sim card then. SIM still functions but my sd card reader shows only the above in disks. I am going to do a fresh reinstall just out of curiosity.

Is it possible to purchase a replacement board at the moment or are there backlogs that would prevent that from happening you think?

1 Like

I would like to report back after a fresh LUKS image install. That my SD card reader is indeed dead, tested with 3 different microsd cards. That’s ok, not a huge loss, but unfortunate that can happen if hotswapped.

After a fresh install I can confirm the above statement. the Composite Gadget doesn’t exist from using lsusb.