MMS - additional fields

My carrier, Telus Canada has updated settings for MMS that include fields that do not appear to be part of Chatty’s settings. The appear to also want settings for MMS port, MCC, MNC and APN type, that is if I assume Android settings should match. The iphone directions helpfully say to upgrade your ios.

Since the upgrade, MMS doesn’t work and I am getting timed out messages. Any ideas?

1 Like

See this similar thread:

1 Like

There is a file ~/.mms/modemmanager/mms Maybe you can configure the values there.

2 Likes

Chances are those don’t need to be specifically entered in the L5; they’re likely default values anyway, and I suspect the L5 defaults them as well. Doesn’t hurt to fill out the available fields in the settings and ignore the missing fields, just to see if it works.

Some of the fields OP mentions may not be listed there. Not sure if they can be added, but maybe.

1 Like

I digged into this in May 2023 and here are my notes about my findings:

see also: APN settings values and storage

I diged into this and even git cloned the sources of
the mmsd-tng (the next generation) from
git clone Chris Talbot / mmsd-tng · GitLab

My modem says about the IMSI:

AT+CIMI

OK

The config file for the mmsdtg is in ~/.mms/modemmanager/mms but
with broken default values, only the IMSI is the correct one from
my SIM (i.e. from my provider FONIC, an O2 spin off):

cat ~/.mms/modemmanager/mms
[Modem Manager]
CarrierMMSC=http://mms.invalid
MMS_APN=apn.invalid
CarrierMMSProxy=NULL
DefaultModemNumber=NULL
AutoProcessOnConnection=true
AutoProcessSMSWAP=true
IMSI=262075156772756

The IMSI is explained here (in German, because the English version
of the page is not very good structured):

IMSI (MCC Mobile Country Code, 3 digits, MNC Mobile Network Code, 2 or 3 disgits)
262 07 is: Telefónica Germany GmbH & Co. oHG

I modified the above file according the settings in

cat ~/.mms/modemmanager/mms
[Modem Manager]
CarrierMMSC=http://10.81.0.7:8002
MMS_APN=pinternet.interkom.de
CarrierMMSProxy=82.113.100.6:8080
DefaultModemNumber=NULL
AutoProcessOnConnection=true
AutoProcessSMSWAP=true
IMSI=262075156772756

and rebooted; now it seems correctly set:

purism@pureos:~$ sudo journalctl -b -0 | grep APN
May 06 09:47:30 pureos mmsdtng[787]: ../plugins/modemmanager.c:set_context() Current Context APN: pinternet.interkom.de, mmsd-tng settings MMS APN: pinternet.interkom.de
May 06 09:47:30 pureos mmsdtng[787]: ../plugins/modemmanager.c:set_context() You are connected to the correct APN! Enabling context...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
May 06 09:47:30 pureos mmsdtng[787]: ../src/service.c:mms_service_set_apn() Service APN Set to pinternet.interkom.de
May 06 09:47:40 pureos mmsdtng[787]: ../plugins/modemmanager.c:set_context() Current Context APN: pinternet.interkom.de, mmsd-tng settings MMS APN: pinternet.interkom.de
May 06 09:47:40 pureos mmsdtng[787]: ../plugins/modemmanager.c:set_context() You are connected to the correct APN! Enabling context...
May 06 09:47:40 pureos mmsdtng[787]: ../src/service.c:mms_service_set_apn() Service APN Set to pinternet.interkom.de
purism@pureos:~$

purism@pureos:~$ sudo journalctl -b -0 | grep 'Operator ID'
(empty)

and a MMS was sent fine on May 6 2023

5 Likes

Isn’t this something that should be in updates? Would sure save a lot of time and grief for those that just wanted a device that acts like a [smart] phone, or even just a clever phone?

3 Likes

I don’t think that the L5 is meant for those.

2 Likes

well just look into this page Purism– Librem 5 and see how they advertise their phone.

see the part where they talk about parents.

1 Like

Maybe they meant “gparents.” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s why I got it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You do realize or are you to young to know that grandparents or ‘old people’ = wiser, experienced, knowledgeable, sage been-there done-that, learned etcetera kind of people?

On a roll today so bear with me please. Just my opinions.
Remember, we ‘old people’ were the ones that helped the Internet to become the Internet and continue to fight Google from turning it into the Local Wide Googlemall and stalker haven.

Just say’n s’all,

~s

2 Likes

I was actually making a joke about GNU/GNOME applications, many of which begin with the letter g, implying that maybe it takes “parents” who know something about GNU to understand the L5’s functionality.

(I’m not so young myself, by the way.)

4 Likes

My bad.:flushed:. I am not up on technical-jokes there days, but now that schooled me, I get it. The last tech humorous I remember is “Programmers Peek and Poke” as in Peeking at a address and poking a number in. (Assembly)

3 Likes

That’s far down memory lane.
I used those commands on a Sinclair ZX 80.
Now I realize how old I am. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

2 Likes