Much slower Librem One Chat?

I’m not sure of delay times, but Purism is aware of an issue, and I believe they’ve identified the cause. There will be some downtime this weekend for maintenance as they address the issue.

1 Like

Thank you for letting us know that Purism is aware of a problem. Since my incessant whinging things have gone from bad to worse for me and those I know who use Librem chat. I was going to finally email support this morning before I headed to work but ran out of time. Yesterday it was showing delays of up to 30 mins sending messages between our two phones alongside each other on the bench. The app has pretty much become unusable because of its unreliability so I hope they find something wrong. I have no idea how something gets this bad before someone twigs that somethings amiss.

My worry was that it was bandwidth intensive and the slow response was because it had a lot of data to transfer. I don’t have unlimited data on my phone or my home connection. Turns out it’s just slow (although seems faster on iOS than my Lineage OS phone (a 2012 Motorola Photon Q).

Hope they get it fixed, although I don’t think I’ll continue using it myself.

We have started a maintenance window of Librem Chat, there will be some downtimes during this weekend as we will need to restart the services a few times.

1 Like

Our maintenance work was not yet concluded but we have made several progresses

Hi, glad I found this thread. I was looking all around for some kind of centralized status page because I was having problems getting into chat. Hope the status page is still on the roadmap!

Hope the work is going well and stay healthy!

-rpm

It seemed a lot faster last night. Haven’t used it this morning.

Well, here in Australia Librem Chat hasn’t worked all weekend. I know that they are doing maintenance and all that. This morning it is just not working. No messages going, none coming. I imagine that there will be a deluge of messages when they turn the power back on.

I do hope that when it returns that they have it right. This has been going on for ages now so hopefully…

Am I right to say that presently Librem Chat is not working at all? It hasn’t made a peep all day here. Now about 5.30pm in eastern Australia.

No message movement in either direction.

I’m experiencing the same. My apps are barely connecting to the server right now (and the last days).

Still nothing here this morning. It must need more than a simple oil change and grease.

24/7 services are no joke. I’m pulling for Purism. It isn’t always a simple case of restore from a snapshot and fire things back up. If they were attacked, etc. things can be a lot of work to return to service. Attacks happen. No fish is too small really.

This was supposed to be a “maintenance window”. However things can definitely still go wrong of their own accord. :frowning:

Is Librem Chat still down for you all?

It is for me. I am sadder in life without it.

Is Libem Chat still a thing? How long has this been? 2/3 days.

A word from Purism about the current state would be nice.

Agreed. Come on guys, the truth please. We can handle it, and can understand.

I have not noticed Librem Chat being totally down, but it has been slower. Ironically, Purism support has been more responsive on the Matrix chatrooms. General summary:

They are working on migrating the databases to separate containers with a larger amount of dedicated CPU. They have been improving some things on the backend on their test server, but this hasn’t been deployed to production yet.
They are trying to minimize downtime as they roll out fixes

Thanks for the update. I think their efforts here are great. However, I haven’t been able to connect to the server today or yesterday.

I really think they should have a public place on librem.one where they can indicate the status of services.

It would be really cool if Purism one day did a blog post about their server room for Librem.one services. The whole leading by example type thing.

1 Like

They said that they do have a status page planned for the future, so that it will be easy to check service outages and such.

I also recall seeing (many months, maybe even a year ago) a Purism employee say they eventually intend to publish their server configuration and all that, so that if you would rather host your own, you could follow their example.

So, I think Purism is planning on doing both things you suggest, but they might not be the highest priority at the moment (though perhaps the status page will get increased priority after the maintenance and fixes are fully deployed)