My first week of using the L5, Pics and questions

Sorry for my poor english…
I just want to say : after one week with my new Librem 5 as my main phone, I am more than satisfyed. I am very very happy to use it. I have no major problem, and I know that, with update, this phone will be better (better than what I have already?? Wow!!!)… and he is right now better than the Galaxy Note 3 that I bought in 2014. I’ve seen a lot of people angry against Purism. Me, I say to them : " Big thanks to the genius who make me feel free of GAFAM. Thank you very much! With the Librem 5, you create one thing that we that our century need urgently to stop our slavery!

9 Likes

This was wrote with my Librem 5. And hey… with the wifi off, I can use my Librem 5 all the day at work without charge. Easily 8h30 without charge.

5 Likes

What colour is Adwaita dark?
Can I use my black background as a theme?

Adwaita dark is white font on black background.

Yes, you can.

1 Like

How does that work, I am very very new

1 Like

In ‘Tweaks’ -> ‘Appearance’ -> Themes -> Background set to the image u want that’s saved on your local disk. But it replaces the pureOS default wallpaper that appears during launching an App only.

You can check this which also comes with keyboard theme and works perfectly fine in usage but it requires an account on their repo in order to download david hammer’s content and also permission, which you can ping a moderator in here to grant it.

Thank you, highly appreciated!

$ gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme
$ gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme 'Adwaita-dark'

As described here: “The phosh UI utilizes GTK3 for themes.” and tested on my Librem 5.

Thank you :+1:t2:

1 Like

I tried it and the result is a dark grey text, the background stays white. How can I reverse it?
Thank you.

1 Like

1 Like

$ gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme 'Adwaita'

Fantastic, thank you so much

1 Like

Yesterday I was not having time for this (please write down your Librem 5 current outputs, so you can go back to them, not to give up :grin:):
gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme
gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface icon-theme
gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences theme

Please install (might be the missing/necessary application, but not sure any more):
apt list gnome-themes-extra-data −− should be already installed
sudo apt update
sudo apt install gnome-themes-extra

Make changes that you prefer:
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme "Adwaita-dark"
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface icon-theme 'Adwaita'

My current UI setup shows that above works on Librem 5:

sudo apt install materia-gtk-theme
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme 'Materia-dark-compact'

If intended to be used (as screenshot shows, for demonstration purpose here only), but there is no need for already installed icons change, IMO (and there are few other compatible icons available as well, as I already linked above):
sudo apt install obsidian-icon-theme
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface icon-theme 'Obsidian'

Sorry for not understanding, what outputs are you referring to? My old eyes like the look of the results!
But as an absolute novice working in the PureOS environment I need step-by-step instructions to be able to accomplish this feat.
So if you are up to it? Highly appreciated.
So far thank you for your input. :pray:

1 Like

This part of the first three Linux commands from my post will give (get) you output (it will not change anything) or tell you which gtk-theme or icon-theme are you using now/currently (in order to go back or restore the one you like better):

The part you wrote
sudo apt update
sudo apt install gnome- themes-extra
This in case the (gnome themes extra data) is not installed?
It comes pre installed on the phone.

1 Like

apt list ... will show you which package is or needs to be installed (sudo apt install ...):
apt list gnome-themes-extra-data
apt list gnome-themes-extra

And if not used until now:
sudo apt update −− will connect your Librem 5 to PureOS repository,
sudo apt upgrade −− will upgrade your PureOS installation with the latest packages.

“I made the changes I prefer” but the results are the same black screen with white text. The other default apps stay with the same white background.
Looks like back to square one.
Thank you :pray:

I hope I am not mistaken by thinking that the dark mode would change all the default apps?
When I get my nerve back I will try again🤨
In the meantime thank you for your effort’s.