My Librem 11 arrived today!

Just opened it up. Initial impressions are that I love the size so far. Seems very snappy. Phosh works quite well on this form factor. Keyboard having a hardwired pogo pin connection rather than bluetooth is great. Keyboard is big enough to type pretty well on. Works well with the USB-C dock from the pursim store, but the Librem5 charger connected to the dock doesn’t seem to be able to charge it. Only desire so far is I wish the keyboard had a trackpoint, but that is my wish for every keyboard. Anything anyone wants to know?

17 Likes

What does this command say?

cat /etc/os-release

Byzantium or Crimson?

Edit: maybe check these as well:

lscpu

df -h

free -h
1 Like
purism@pureos:~$ cat /etc/os-release 
ID=pureos
NAME=PureOS
PRETTY_NAME="PureOS 11 (Crimson)"

VERSION_ID="11"
VERSION_CODENAME=crimson

HOME_URL="https://pureos.net/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://puri.sm/faq/#faq-WherecanIfindoutmoreaboutPureOS"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://tracker.pureos.net/"

purism@pureos:~$ lscpu
Architecture:            x86_64
  CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
  Address sizes:         39 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
  Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                  4
  On-line CPU(s) list:   0-3
Vendor ID:               GenuineIntel
  Model name:            Intel(R) Celeron(R) N5100 @ 1.10GHz
    CPU family:          6
    Model:               156
    Thread(s) per core:  1
    Core(s) per socket:  4
    Socket(s):           1
    Stepping:            0
    CPU(s) scaling MHz:  34%
    CPU max MHz:         2800.0000
    CPU min MHz:         800.0000
    BogoMIPS:            2227.20
    Flags:               fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mc
                         a cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss 
                         ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc art arch_pe
                         rfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpui
                         d aperfmperf tsc_known_freq pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monito
                         r ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 s
                         se4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave 
                         rdrand lahf_lm 3dnowprefetch cpuid_fault epb cat_l2 cdp
                         _l2 ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp ibrs_enhanced tpr_shadow vnmi 
                         flexpriority ept vpid ept_ad fsgsbase tsc_adjust smep e
                         rms rdt_a rdseed smap clflushopt clwb intel_pt sha_ni x
                         saveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves split_lock_detect dtherm 
                         ida arat pln pts hwp hwp_notify hwp_act_window hwp_epp 
                         hwp_pkg_req umip waitpkg gfni rdpid movdiri movdir64b m
                         d_clear flush_l1d arch_capabilities
Virtualization features: 
  Virtualization:        VT-x
Caches (sum of all):     
  L1d:                   128 KiB (4 instances)
  L1i:                   128 KiB (4 instances)
  L2:                    1.5 MiB (1 instance)
  L3:                    4 MiB (1 instance)
NUMA:                    
  NUMA node(s):          1
  NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0-3
Vulnerabilities:         
  Itlb multihit:         Not affected
  L1tf:                  Not affected
  Mds:                   Not affected
  Meltdown:              Not affected
  Mmio stale data:       Mitigation; Clear CPU buffers; SMT disabled
  Retbleed:              Not affected
  Spec store bypass:     Mitigation; Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl
  Spectre v1:            Mitigation; usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer
                          sanitization
  Spectre v2:            Mitigation; Enhanced IBRS, IBPB conditional, RSB fillin
                         g, PBRSB-eIBRS Not affected
  Srbds:                 Vulnerable: No microcode
  Tsx async abort:       Not affected

purism@pureos:~$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev            3.8G     0  3.8G   0% /dev
tmpfs           780M  3.8M  776M   1% /run
/dev/dm-0       938G   16G  884G   2% /
tmpfs           3.9G   17M  3.8G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
/dev/nvme0n1p2  988M  149M  772M  17% /boot
tmpfs           780M  168K  780M   1% /run/user/1000
purism@pureos:~$ free -h
               total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           7.6Gi       3.8Gi       782Mi       773Mi       4.2Gi       3.9Gi
Swap:           17Gi          0B        17Gi

3 Likes

Thanks!

So, to summarize:

• PureOS Crimson
  • Intel Celeron N5100 CPU
  • 1 TeraByte disk
  • 8 GB memory

I guess that’s all as expected, the specs match what the Purism– Librem 11 page says. But it’s nice to have that verified :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Congratulations!

is it possible to develop software for Librem 5 ?

What kind of question is this? You can even develop software for the Librem 5 on the Librem 5…

1 Like

Anyway, how is latency with the pen if you use different brushes in Krita or MyPaint?

Here is a quick video of mypaint: https://imgur.com/D1Dzx6u
I don’t have much to compare it too but seems to have some latency

4 Likes

Does suspend/sleep work?

Does it get warm during use?

How are the cameras? Quality? Usable in browsers/apps?

1 Like

suspend/sleep seem to work fine
there js certainly a warm portion while in use
the cameras work, however they seem to be stuck in landscape mode, and dont auto adjust in the two methods i tried, cheese app and a zoom web test session in firefox, so that experience isnt great

2 Likes

Thanks for the info!

The rear camera protudes from the back by several mm, which is annoying, but doesn’t seem to be much of a problem so far. The edges and corners of the protusion are beveled/rounded and seem to be made of plastic. My concerns are that the protusion might scuff or even scratch something soft enough and the protusion itself might get scuffed or scratched over time and degrade photos.

3 Likes

Outside a bespoke case for the Librem 11, perhaps it’s possible to place an adhesive rubber or felt ring around the camera protrusion to help protect it.

1 Like

Thanks. The case/keyboard does somewhat protect the protusion.

I’ll try to remember to use the case when setting the tablet on a hard surface.

1 Like

I don’t know what Purism promised, but the charger has a PD port, a QC 3.0 port, and two 2.4A ports.

So I played around with the tablet last night. Listening to music over Bluetooth, browsing, installing and trying apps, etc. I got about ~3 hours of battery life with the display brightness at half. Not great but hopefully can be improved. My external PD battery pack doesn’t seem to be able to charge it either. It has a display and I can see that it’s trying but doesn’t. Can’t get anything but the included charger to charge it yet.

3 Likes

… which would actually be easier in the sense that if you tried to develop software for the Librem 5 on the Librem 11, you would have to contend with a cross-build environment and you would probably want to build twice (once for local testing, and then after testing and debugging, a cross-build for the target environment and more testing).

At the moment you would also have to contend with: the Librem 11 must run crimson whereas your Librem 5 probably isn’t yet and probably doesn’t want to yet.

My impression would be that the OP wouldn’t have tried this yet anyway, as the Librem 11 only arrived a few days ago!

Congratulations! :slight_smile:

@lo0 , can you please post the output of

sudo lshw -short

(or simply “lshw -short” after becoming root)?

It would show hardware specs.

Was looking for a good tablet and found this one. Could’t resist and just ordered :slight_smile:

I’m wondering is it possible (or recommended) to play with OSes, such as resize the drive and install second OS like ubuntu, with grub and OS selection? Anybody tried this?

Somewhat concerned about potential shipping delays, especially after reading an active thread “Estimate your Librem 5 refund”. I have all receipts and saved the page that says 10 days, just in case…

Are other pending orders fullfilled? Anybody else received it in the meantime?

3 Likes

Librem11 is a product ready to ship. Shouldn’t be a problem. If you want a 120 $ discount on the Librem11 you can always buy one the old Librem5 orders and ask Purism to convert it to 120% store credits. It’s a hassle and you need to find someone who wants to sell.

Thank you @Vertebra , might be an interesting idea, but I already paid for Librem11 in full with CC… And buying-selling orders is somewhat too exotic…Good that you posted it though, as this thread is the 1st place for new customers like myself to check before buying this tablet! Hope somebody else will be able to use this…

3 Likes