[MyL5] Australia/New Zealand

You may disable password auth in ssh and rely solely on key or cert based auth.

6 Likes

and alter the default PIN to a more complex numeric PIN

3 Likes

Once I’m hands-on with the hardware (probably several months yet), I intend to set up firejail to put everything under individual user accounts with minimal permissions.

For non-gui users, you can sudo useradd --help and follow the instructions.

3 Likes

yes, it is

2 Likes

Any clues as to what the different colours of the light on the front mean?

Solid red? Flashing red? Green? Flashing blue? Pink?

1 Like

From this page: https://docs.puri.sm/Librem_5/Troubleshooting/LEDs.html

Color Description
Red The phone is charging.
Red (flashing) There is a problem with charging.
See below for advice.
Green The U-Boot bootloader has started running.
Green (flashing) A boot-loop in the bootloader.
See below for advice.
Yellow (red/green) The bootloader has started the kernel but there is insufficient power to continue.
See below for advice.

The above is from the troubleshooting page but you also have

Color Description
Blue Notifications (when the screen is locked): received SMS, XMPP, Matrix message, or a missed call, system notification like updates.
Red/Blue (Purple/Pink?) The phone is charging and you received a notification
13 Likes

Calls in both directions worked fine. That was testing to/from a mainstream mobile phone. No problem with audio quality, clarity, noise, volume. All normal.

Ring tone volume might be a bit low if I didn’t have the phone on my person at the time of someone calling me. The important point here is that I don’t want to increase the system’s sound output volume because when the phone is stuffed up against my ear, I can hear it just fine. It is only if the phone may be sitting somewhere else in the house and it rings, I would say that I won’t be able to hear the ring.

Fun future option: hook into the ring logic on the phone and have the ring mirrored on one or more other devices via audio and/or some other mechanism.

In the meantime, being able to customise the ringtone should address that.

3 Likes

Is that account (that I set up to edit the wiki) OK for reporting issues? If so, where are issues?

I would like to review the known issues and if issues that I have encountered are not already reported, I would at least like to report them.

I think this would be it:

Float your cursor over the icons on the far left of the screen to further investigate; that’s also where you can link to Merge Requests.

The first wiki I linked to you the other day is the community wiki, just for answering/anticipating questions for the benefit of new users.

There are also some interesting links to the far right of the community wiki, such as Cellular Providers info.

the color LED for charging should use LED colors ranging from RED to YELLOW to GREEN and everything in between (if possible) combined with the pulsing LED (from deep RED low frequency pulse for low charge battery to medium frequency pulse YELLOW for ~66% charged battery to high frequency pulse GREEN untill 99% charged battery.)

at 100% charged battery the color of the LED should be solid GREEN (non-pulsing but ON until charger is disconnected). when charger is disconnected LED is OFF or any other color in the BLUE, MAGENTA, WHITE range if there are other messages/alerts that the users hasn’t attended yet …

careful experimentation with pulsing and LED light intensity could also be observed for the visual convenience of the user.

example 1 :
there is a problem with charging ! < write this in morse code signals and translate into ON-OFF RED signaling to user … etc.

example 2 :
problem with U-Boot bootloader ! < same as above. translate into morse and use different color LED. could be MAGENTA/LILA/INDIGO/PURPLE etc. combined with lower intensity LED depending on SEVERITY !

HIGHEST SEVERITY would be a message like “you are a slave !” written all in FULL intensity RED LED and pulsing with a looped and playing at 2x speed morse code “YOU ARE A SLAVE!”

1 Like

Even cooler … I had an ssh session from my desktop to my Librem 5. Had to pop out for a while, taking my Librem 5 with me and clearly going out of WiFi range. When I returned half an hour later or so … press Enter on the desktop’s ssh session … still connected, with everything just as I left it. (I realise there are many circumstances in which this wouldn’t work but still.)

3 Likes

Way cool! I can imagine a future use for remotely messing with a phone thief:
I AM THE GHOST OF CHRISTMAS F#%&ING PAST... MOTHERF#%&ER!

2 Likes

@irvinewade, I would like to add your data to the Cellular Providers page. Can you tell me which country you are in? Have you tried calls and SMS? What did you have to do to enable data? Did you change any APN settings?

Yes, see above (later posts). All good.

It’s just one of the settings on the Librem 5. I don’t know why it is off by default. It seems like a relic from the past when mobile data was expensive.

Settings / Mobile / Mobile Data

I think there is an unfixed bug where turning the WiFi off turns off the modem (in software). That therefore makes it more annoying that mobile data is off by default?

Yes. It offered me a choice of 3. I really had no idea (I should have checked before taking the SIM out of the old phone LOL). I picked live.vodafone.com and it worked. Maybe one of the others would have worked too. The one I picked might not work for everyone, based on the descriptions against the different APNs.

Update: Maybe you mean: did I have to type in an APN? No, I didn’t. I know that with Optus (another Australian carrier) I always have to type in the APN that I use. I think there’s a standard Linux database of carriers worldwide with their known APNs. Mostly that does the job.

Thanks. I added your info to Cellular Providers. I also added a note about the plug adapter in the FAQ.

4 Likes

Later on, after higher priority things, I will test Telstra and/or Optus for the Wiki (seeing as the Telstra test was with a different modem model).

1 Like

That’s how TCP sessions were designed 50-ish years ago. They would survive temporary network outages. Later smartasses introduced firewall timeouts and keepalives (btw, funny name, keepalive which actually works like forcedead), and destroyed that functionality.

Just silly ranting :wink:

8 Likes

Small thing about the adapter, but it really should be supplied for the price if the phone.
Thanks for the heads up

3 Likes

I hope the camera and QR codes are coming soon …

Saturday night trying to get into a couple of venues, which requires scanning a QR code due to local health orders, I was telling the security guy that the camera on my phone wasn’t working. My girlfriend thought I was BSing him, trying to social engineer my way in. Sadly, no.

Yes, keepalive often serves as a “detect dead”. However once you have firewall timeouts, keepalive may really serve to “keep alive”.