[MyL5] Librem 5 arrived. Where is file explorer? Certification issues

Well, that wouldn’t be a Purism problem. It would be the Lollypop problem, savvy?

1 Like

yes of course.
We are all in this together.

2 Likes

The way I see it is - if its available its Purism.
This is Purism’s responsibility.
It didn’t occur to me to think ahh this is GNOME issue.
I just thought to myself it is an OS issue = Purism.
Just saying

1 Like

You could ask @gusnan about it. I think he said he maintains Lollypop.

1 Like

thanks. I will. Shall I send him a DM or shall I open a discussion and mentinon his name??

I would start a new topic, in case others have the same issue. That will make it easy to find an answer in the future.

Edit: you can “@” him, so he notices it.

1 Like

Thanks.
This is for another day.
Thanks for all your help.

2 Likes

I have noticed this topic, no need to message me. Could you run Lollypop from a terminal, and see if it prints anything there when the problem appears for you? Even better would be if you run it using the command line “lollypop -d”, which would enable debug, for more verbose output.

3 Likes

hi @gusnan
thanks for popping up.
I’ll try it tomorrow.
At the moment my actual problem is - I have mp3 files in my nextcloud account.(connected via gonme online accounts)
i can see the files
when i select the files some play some don’t?
i do not know how to import files to lollypop from my nextcloud music folder.

Digressing slightly but this seems an inappropriate default to me. Is it really necessary to update the time every half hour? I guess until we know how accurate the timekeeping is on the Librem 5, we can’t say for sure but …

This default is nothing to do with Purism or PureOS. I would guess it comes from Debian.

Anyway, on my systems I change that in /etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf with the items being PollIntervalMinSec and PollIntervalMaxSec and you should be able to set them to the same value, whatever larger value you choose. (At this stage I am just assuming that that is the right config file on a Librem 5.)

It could be argued that if you are out and about, and the cellular modem is not killed then having such a short polling period has privacy implications.

Yea i’ve noticed that too, on the other hand with +6ppm it still shouldn’t be an issue

I’m running Lollypop on linux mint rn on my laptop and it does have issues, so it’s not a Librem 5 thing there.

@sherab_kelsang, a fun project for you:

Edit: P.S. If you decide to post a video on this, you might want to protect your computer user name and IP address(es) from view.

1 Like

@amarok
Thank you my friend.
I’ll be sure to look at this.
And maybe do a little video as well

Maybe this one:
https://flathub.org/apps/details/dev.tchx84.Portfolio
I’m curious if it works.

yes, this works

3 Likes

I wonder if Thunar would be a good choice. It’s resizable and configurable. It’s a GTK application and the default file manager for XFCE Desktop Enviroment. It doesn’t seem to have dependencies that causes all XFCE to be installed, only a few libraries (?).

https://packages.debian.org/buster/thunar

EDIT: Hmm… dialog windows like Preferences, Properties, etc… are NOT resizable (at least on my old version 1.6.11 on my laptop). Main window is resizable. Side bar is resizable and can be turned off.

1 Like

https://flathub.org/apps/details/dev.tchx84.Portfolio

To install the Portfolio file manager from flathub I had to do these steps in the terminal:

flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
flatpak install flathub dev.tchx84.Portfolio

Note: No sudo required (the remote will be added as system remote)…

The first-time installation required the download of five more components (automatically suggested) with a total size of about 1 GB to download (so watch your mobile internet plan ;-).

Edit: Portfolio is easy to use but does only show folders within the home folder and mounted (USB) devices. I could not find how to system folders… Also missing: Eject (unmount) USB devices.

1 Like

I don’t think that is fair. It is like saying that all programs you downloaded via Google Play on your Android and which don’t run nicely, are Google’s fault. (they are guilty of many things, but not that).
Puri.sm makes available an abundance of open source applications, not all of them maintained by them. I am grateful they do, because it saves me from downloading untrusted code from a variety of sources. Using their “software store” does not imply they are suddently responsible for the quality of all that software.

2 Likes

This thread I found (somehow) as discussion is it correct RTC clock on Librem 5 important or not (how fair is it?).

PMIC includes eight Buck convertors, seven LDOs, one internal load switch and crystal oscillator driver for RTC clock. These functions are designed to support the specific power requirements from NXP i.MX 8M platform to achieve the required performance for cost-sensitive applications.

Might be that people, like @sherab_kelsang, should find lack of coin cell battery (takes care of RTC clock&calendar) amusing? Right away by turning their new smartphone on, asking just because want to understand here related approach better (if anything seen as advantage).