[MyL5] Received my Librem 5 (Evergreen)

No doubt! Lol!
By the way, where can I find the IMEI of my device?

In Settings > Mobile > Modem Details (at the end of the page)

5 Likes

Oh wow, I totally missed that particular screen. As I said, I donā€™t have the modem on very often, and no settings under Mobile are visible when itā€™s off.
Thanks!

1 Like

@amarok, I want to add your info to https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/community-wiki/-/wikis/Cellular-Providers

Can you confirm that SMS and data work with Truphone? Did you have to change any of the APN settings? Have you only been using LTE or have you tried with 2G or 3G?

2 Likes

the modem is not embedded in in the SoC, consider it similar to a Wifi module on a laptop, if it is not connected it is non existent for the (in this case) phone

4 Likes

And the owner? :wink:

It has been determined that, when he is dragged away from his latpop to the outside world, he can survive as well.

9 Likes

That must be why Chats doesnā€™t respond to touch when I have Mobile disabled.

At the moment chats will not show stored SMS if the modem is disabled, that issue is known, and it is being worked on:

But if you have an xmpp, telegram, matrix account in chatty, it will work even with the modem disabled.

XMPP support exists by default, telegram and matrix you would need to build the plugins from source, the matrix plugin is quite resource intensive atm.

3 Likes

SMS: confirmed
Data: Oddā€¦not getting data at the moment. Truphoneā€™s APN is just truphone.com with no other settings. Let me investigate.

2 Likes

data

If you have an Icon similar to this one in the top bar it means that there is no data (wifi or mobile data). You can toggle the ā€œMobile dataā€ button in the mobile settings off and on once to see if that solves the issue

1 Like

joao.azevedo
amosbatto
Iā€™ve got data with Truphone now. I removed the SIM and tried a different carrier, then reinserted the Truphone SIM. Everything works.
BTW, Amos, I donā€™t think AT&T (Truphone runs on them in the US) has 2G anymore, right?

3 Likes

I can confirm SMS and LTE for Red Pocketā€™s GSMA SIM, too.
For those who donā€™t know, Red Pocket resells AT&T, Tmobile, Sprint, AND Verizonā€¦ rather cheap!

5 Likes

Do you think this is a real option as a daily driver?
I mean how fast do android apps start compared to native onesā€¦ are they responsive enough to use it all the time? Or are they only an alternative for apps where there is no way around?

Whether this can be the main phone for you depends on your own requirements. Are you content with the available optimized apps and functions for now (see my thread about the current PureOS store app list)? Is 5-8 hours (depending on how heavy your use is) of battery life enough for you for the moment? Can you recharge at will? Are you OK with your voice sounding slightly muffled to call recipients (until Purism sorts that out)? Can you do without MMS (which may affect your ability to receive group messages and other types)? Do you mind the thickness and weight of the device?
I think it certainly can be oneā€™s full-time phone; the Purism team is certainly improving the software every day. But itā€™s all relative.
As for Android apps, I donā€™t know if Anbox is available yet, so I canā€™t offer an opinion on that.

3 Likes

thanks for all the posts amarok it is much appreciated.

As soon as the ā€œmuffledā€ calls are solved I will make a purchase.

Just to confirm, is voice muffled ovet cullular calls made via SIM card, or calls made over wifi or using 3/4g data or both?

Youā€™re welcome! The L5 callerā€™s voice is slightly muffled over cellular. And I donā€™t know if wifi calling is available yet. I donā€™t see a setting for it.

1 Like

Another Evergreen in the wild! :grin:

5 Likes

The ā€œLibrem Mailā€ app that Purism distributes for Android as part of Librem One is a fork off of K9 mail, so they should have some familiarity with it, at any rateā€¦

1 Like

I use that one too. It would be nice to have a very simple calendar with no connections to the big bad companies. The simpler the better. No need for bells and whistles. I even consider net sync to be a possible problem. And in Linux it is always easy to download and upload the calendar file.

1 Like