[MyL5] Received my Librem 5 (Evergreen)

Evolution Data Server is there, it just needs a frontend app that fits the screen

2 Likes

Yes I know, I mean evolution client, which is on a long way to adaptive interface, and that way hasnā€™t even started yet.

Here you go (portraits and landscapes, canā€™t reposition by dragging; scrolling works):

5 Likes

I wonder if K9 for Android could be adapted. Itā€™s based on Thunderbird.

1 Like

Did you use any learning predictive systems? I would think if your own words made it into the dictionary, it would eventually get better.

Iā€™d rather have the original and avoid separate phone apps. I found no indication that Thunrderbird would be making a new UI anytime soon. Theyā€™d probably need a hefty donation for it.

I donā€™t suppose you tried zooming it with the script (for the little help it would do)?

No. I would imagine that zooming out would be more helpful, though.

Google makes a pretty big donation to Mozilla every year.

1 Like

No, we use a special spelling to reflect the pronounciation exactly and the grammar is also a bit complicated. I am working together with a linguist to define our language. It is fairly close to Old English especially in Yorkshire - not surprising because it was part of Danelagen (Danelaw) for about 200 years from around year 900 and Danish was spoken there.

In general I am a bit sceptical to automatic spell checking because it could go terribly wrong. I prefer to read what I have been writing once more before sending. That way I can also detect errors in my logic.

However I keep spell checking on when I write English because it has a complex spelling and it is easier to detect kebord errors :slight_smile:

Not sure if want to test it or if itā€™s available outright in the L5 or if you need to do some script magic with wayland.

details

sudo apt install build-essential ninja-build meson cmake libwayland-dev pkg-config
git clone https://github.com/emersion/wlr-randr
cd wlr-randr
meson build
ninja -C build
sudo cp build/wlr-randr /usr/local/bin

example: wlr-randr --output DSI-1 --scale 1.5

ā€œusage: wlr-randr [optionsā€¦]\nā€
ā€œā€“help\nā€
ā€œā€“output \nā€
" --on\n"
" --off\n"
" --mode|ā€“custom-mode x[@Hz]\n"
" --pos ,\n"
" --transform normal|90|180|270|flipped|flipped-90|flipped-180|flipped-270\n"
" --scale \n";

Thunderbird is powerfully and full of options. Must be hard to modify it to such a small screen.

On Android, I install Simple Calendar from the F-droid store. It works great as a stand-alone.

Or worseā€¦ end up pregnant because you skipped a day of birth control! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Off topic, but: Why should pregnancy be worse than dying?

3 Likes

Ah, I thought you also meant that predictive system that can learn also didnā€™t work for you. That sounded very surprising.

Hello,

I would be interested to know which carrier you went with and how well the modem works for that network.

Iā€™m going to stay with Sprint and Iā€™m a little concerned about how to ask them for a new SIM chip, in that the only thing I want is 4G LTE cell service for now.

Anyway, Iā€™m very pleased you have your phone, since it means that mine canā€™t be too far away!

Thanks,

Robbie

3 Likes

Sorry for being off-topic. It was just a joke. :tongue:
Not everyone wants or can have offspring!

@JR-Fi @amarok wlr-randr is now packaged for the Librem 5 and available from the repos. No need for build magic.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve tested 2 different AT&T resellers (MVNOs): my regular SIM, which I normally use in the Android, and a Truphone prepaid SIM; they both get good LTE in my house. Right now I have the Truphone SIM in the L5, but I mostly keep the mobile data off and just use my wifi. I havenā€™t even taken the phone out of the house yet! Lol!
As was said earlier, the L5 callerā€™s voice sounds slightly muffled to recipients right now, but that issue is being worked on.

2 Likes

Take it from someone that already made that experience, it can survive on the outside world :wink:

8 Likes