[MyL5] Received my Librem 5 (Evergreen)

My 2¢: This topic is rapidly going to become massive, with many overlapping conversations.

I would suggest - new topic per issue

Unfortunately, as you are the “only one” with a phone right now, community support is going to be limited.

We haven’t implemented standby/suspend yet. We’ve been focused first on run-time power management instead of standby power management because we think that’s a higher priority.

16 Likes
  1. Recents display as page images that you can scroll through (left-right). they take up about half the screen. You can swipe up to close any of them. Under that is a Search Apps bar. Under that are icons/shortcuts for installed programs (with up and down scrolling). All on a (beautiful) black background.

2. Notifications are at the top. Doesn’t slide down; expose by tapping one of the indicators (battery, wifi, mobile, etc.) Close by swiping it back up.

There is a pre-installed browser (Gnome Web).

3 Likes

I agree. Let’s all try to keep this thread away from troubleshooting and just concentrate on aspects of the phone.

There are also screenshots of a lot of these screens here:

5 Likes

You can RESTORE deleted items from Trash (within Caja or probably other file managers). HALLELUJAH! :smiley:

6 Likes

The hardware looks very solid and tight, everything perfectly assembled. The slides click firmly and look professional. The buttons click nicely. Nothing seems flimsy at all. The back snaps off easily, thanks to a small notch at the lower corner, and it snaps back on perfectly. The battery fits its compartment completely with no give. Haven’t checked the modem as there’s a screwed on cover over it. The whole thing feels premium, but heavy, as I said earlier. The screen is nice to touch.
I don’t think it has quick charging. It does feel warm when charging and when on, but not alarmingly so.

18 Likes

It is my understanding that the “tap” will be replaced with a “swipe down/up” eventually, but is still being implemented in Phosh.

The hardware looks very solid and tight, everything perfectly assembled. The slides click firmly and look professional. The buttons click nicely. Nothing seems flimsy at all. The back snaps off easily, thanks to a small notch at the lower corner, and it snaps back on perfectly. The battery fits its compartment completely with no give. Haven’t checked the modem as there’s a screwed on cover over it. The whole thing feels premium, but heavy, as I said earlier. The screen is nice to touch.

Well this is the review that makes me happiest.

4 Likes

How is that a good thing? :wink: two.edged.sword

I very rarely use the default delete-via-trash and usually use delete-permanently. I think the existence of the latter option, in nautilus at least, has to be enabled i.e. does not exist by default.

3 Likes

I’ve accidentally deleted photos before during my travels!
Edit: from my mobile phone, I mean.

2 Likes

By the way, what modem make/model did you choose?

The North America version of the Broadmobi (-A1).

2 Likes

Switching between portrait/landscape is done manually in the notifications area.

Yes, I did, and it sounded normal. I was talking to myself, though, with a different phone on each ear. I’ll call a friend later to get a “third” opinion. :wink:

5 Likes

Any chance you can share a picture of the box and it’s contents with or without the phone? I know you said no video but you didn’t mention pictures.

1 Like

You can install GNOME Tweaks app and set any theme you want there:

Note: GNOME Tweaks app does not yet scale nicely, but you can use Kyle’s script to change screen scaling:

12 Likes

The hardware should be functional, but the drivers aren’t complete yet.

7 Likes

See:
2.7. How good will the Librem 5 cameras be?

6 Likes

What is the main contributor to the weight of phone?
Is it the battery that makes it heavy?

1 Like

The bigger battery probably added most of the extra weight over Dogwood. Birch and Chestnut with a 2000 mAh battery weighed 230 grams. Dogwood with a 3600 mAh battery weighed 240 g. and its battery weighed 62 g. I’m guessing that the bigger 4500 mAh battery added 15 extra grams to Evergreen, and the 3mm longer case added 9 extra grams.

If @amarok weighs the Evergreen battery for us, we can check those guesses.

2 Likes