[MyL5] Received my Librem 5 (Evergreen)

I’ll try to organize it when I get a chance. Or maybe someone will beat me to it.

The battery weighs 2.8 ounces (78 grams).

6 Likes

There’s no pre-installed camera app yet.

3 Likes

Thanks Mladen, that’s awesome. I downloaded it from the store, and used it in landscape mode to change everything to dark. Super easy. I’ll figure out how to use Kyle’s script later.

4 Likes

Shucks, I was off by 1 gram. OK, the battery in Evergreen added 16 extra grams and the longer case added 8 extra grams.

@amarok, I’m updating the FAQ and need a bit of info.

The Birch batch had a USB-C Power Delivery charger that supported up to 5Vx3A (15W), 9Vx2A (18W) and 12Vx1.5A (18W). Is the charger the same in Evergreen?

Can you measure Evergreen and confirm that its dimensions are 153 x 75 x 15.5 mm?

7 Likes

This is exactly one month before my backer date, so there is hope and light visible at the end of the tunnel :slight_smile:

5 Likes

:metro: :grin:

:boom: :steam_locomotive: :railway_car: :railway_car: :railway_car: :railway_car: :railway_car: :railway_car:

2 Likes

That was included in the “Not many” part :wink:

MMS is still being worked on:

That is an issue with GNOME Software on Debian based installs, firefox-esr shows as the old icewaesel

From the command line install the packages: firefox-esr and firefox-esr-mobile-config the last one includes tweaks to make firefox fit better in a mobile screen.

At the moment we are missing an image viewer that is adaptive.

File manager: you can install nautilus (which is not adaptive yet) and scale it to fit the screen, not the same as adaptive, but it helps. To do that, download this script: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/phoc/-/blob/master/helpers/scale-to-fit

And from the directory where the script is run: scale-to-fit org.gnome.nautilus on and it should look like this:

If you want to take screenshots, you can install from the command line the package: librem5-goodies it contains the application that @Kyle_Rankin made to take screenshots. After install it will show in the app tray as: Screen Shot

10 Likes

Also about scaling the screen: if you install the package librem5-goodies Kyle’s script to scale the screen is also there.

9 Likes

You can also just add this to .profile:

export GTK_THEME=Adwaita:dark
5 Likes

yes, you can also just use gsettings and do: gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme “Adwaita-dark”

9 Likes

Why did you do that? Why root access must be locked? So many years on Linux systems I am used to su. Why should I get used to something else? Can one bring root access back?

3 Likes

So PureOS is not shipping the Gnome 3.38 release version of eog, which from my testing on the PinePhone scales perfectly?

WRT to scaling, this blog post of mine might be generally helpful: https://linmob.net/2020/07/27/pinephone-daily-driver-challenge-part2-flatpak-and-scaling-in-phosh.html#manual-scaling-in-phosh

And while I am at shameless self promotion, check out this app list (and please, if you can, do contribute):
https://linmobapps.frama.io.

Super looking forward to receiving my Librem 5, but given I backed it on October 23rd 2017 I guess I am going to have to wait a while.

2 Likes

The pureOS version on the Librem 5 is based in Debian stable, with an overlay layer for some packages. There are some packages that will be fast forwarded. And soon it will be based in GNOME 3.38

6 Likes

You can do sudo passwd to set (and thus unlock) the account’s password

10 Likes

This is what I assumed and am glad is the case. It wouldn’t make much sense with how much one needs root access to have that functionality locked away. I think having it set like this though helps many people, who have never used Linux to not accidentally hose their L5.

So far the L5 really seems to live up to the general-computing device in your pocket moniker. I’m super pumped.

8 Likes

Ah, OK, I thought that they have done something more dramatic. If it is just this it is fine.

2 Likes

It’s more secure to lock the root account. You own the phone, not us, so if you don’t like that default, you can change it back.

12 Likes

Same charger specs.
The dimensions look right, by my imprecise measurements.

3 Likes