Mysterious "Software Install" process

Hello,

Anyone know what this “Software Install” process is? I see it all the time and it makes me feel uncomfortable. The PureOS store is not running.

1 Like

Do you mean the Store GUI is not running or have you disabled it (in the latter case, this would be a bit more curious)? That’s the Store background process, if I’m not mistaken (haven’t checked what else it could be), and it’s keeping an eye out for updates (including flatpaks). You can kill it, no immediate harm. It should re-appear at boot. Sometimes you actually need to kill it if the Store hangs (like when checking for updates takes a long time).

2 Likes

I would imagine that it is running gnome-software as a background service of some kind.

2 Likes

Most of the settings are default, I did not do anything funky. Maybe just adding Flathub to the PureOS store.

I would imagine that it is running gnome-software as a background service of some kind.

Maybe, I’m not sure, but when checking background programs (the dummy user way) by swiping up in the main UI, there is nothing running. And the process being called “Software installer” feels… funny in the tummy.

You can kill it, no immediate harm

Yep, I am 99% is nothing malicious. I have killed it in the past, keeps re-appearing and I’m just not sure what it is.

1 Like

“Nothing running” is not quite right as what you describe is that there is no user interface or foreground GUI running. Seeing nothing in main UI is no indication - that’s what Usage is for. I agree that it’s not very informative.

2 Likes

No, no. Is good, that’s how it should be. Swiping up should only show GUI background applications and for the rest you have the Usage app.

1 Like

If it’s really bugging you then capture output of sudo ps ax to a file, then kill the process, then capture output again, then diff the two files - to see whether you can work out for sure what program (command line) the process is (was!) running.

1 Like

Thank you.
Yep I can confirm 100% now. “Software Install” == PureOS Store process.

1 Like

What’s the full command line?

1 Like

Alternatively, try top | grep gnome-software on terminal or try top for more info than Usage. For good tips, how to get more usage info out of top, see https://www.howtogeek.com/668986/how-to-use-the-linux-top-command-and-understand-its-output/ and for alternatives How to Check Processes in Linux: 4 Ways to List Processes

1 Like

S| 1:21 /usr/bin/gnome-software --gapplication-service
I think this one. But there are a few processes that changed between the two ps commands.
Tho’ having PureOS Store open shows the “Software Install” in the Usage app. Using the Usage app to kill “Software Install” kills the GUI PureOS Store.

3 Likes

See this thread:

2 Likes