New Librem 14 will not power on

Besides these issues, the laptop has been solid. The fact that the back clicks on before the screws is a nice touch, and many other improvements in build. But if it won’t power up, those benefits are nil.

1 Like

I just tried disconnecting the battery, and CMOS battery to possibly reset the EC. No luck there…

1 Like

Well, the straightforward odds would apply above for number of people with power issues, e.g. 8:n (if I counted correctly) in this thread alone. My point wasn’t about that, since I don’t know how many “n” have purchased L14’s. My point was the odds go up exponentially if the same two people are now on their 3 laptop because 2 previous new laptops have failed.

1 Like

I was saying that forum users isn’t a good metric because people whose laptops work as expected tend to keep quiet about them. You have a point that two people having the same issue on multiple machines is a bad sign, while my point is that we can’t quantify/qualify (not sure which here) “bad.”

1 Like

Yeah, totally with you, we don’t know how bad, bad is but I’m sure Purism knows which is why I pinged @MrChromebox with the question if Engineers have this resolved… e.g. is my second laptop a ticking time bomb and is it safe to leave it plugged in. So far I have not let it get to 100%.

support would be best equipped to answer this, I’m just the firmware guy =D

1 Like

My replaced laptop has been working without error for 3 months now.

I leave it plugged in all the time.

I’m calling this a win.

2 Likes

That is great!

I have just experienced this issue. My Librem is also about a month old. What seems to be very interesting, and I’ve seen this with other issues in work (I worked in IT engineering and security) is that some bugs sometimes have a trigger related to the clocks or uptime. As there are reports that this happens around the month mark, possible it is the same.

Frankly, if I get the option, I am going to ask for a refund. I like the laptop, although overall the battery life was never quite as good as advertised, though not terrible (maybe a deviation of 20%).

Unfortunately, I did have almost 1 TB of data and this happened during a backup process. I noticed that backing up my data resulted in for whatever reason, the notebook draining to 10-12%. While on, the notebook would not recognize the barrel charger or a USB-C charger.

I live in a country where customs also steals from people and charges tax even on insurance or shipping that the sender pays for. But, overall the Librem needs to be reliable for me to be an owner. There are computers that have lasted decades. There are no reasons why any linux machine should not be able to do the same.

This is not very reassuring for potential customers like me, who live abroad and have to face imperial customs, several times in the case of malfunctions (here I speak of course of this one, but also problems related to the keyboard, the wifi card, and so on). As far as I’m concerned, as long as purism doesn’t publicly acknowledge these malfunctions, with a communication indicating what they are doing to avoid them in the future, I will continue to stay away. I really don’t trust their supposed “quality control”. Problems as basic as the malfunctioning of several keys on the keyboard “out of the box” should simply not exist on a laptop of this price.

I believe they did post a forum post (which I think is linked above).

As far as customs is concerned, there are ways around it. But, why deal with the hassle.

I had literally just finished getting everything set up the way I like.

As a side note, when trying to boot ubuntu from a live USB, I am very briefly able to get to the boot menu before an error about booting shows up. It is too fast for me to read unfortunately, before it turns off.

I now have my 3rd L14 as of two days ago. Hoping for a better outcome than last time.

Hello,

Well, I have a news LIBREM 14 V1, after 2 month, same way …

No power, nothing, no led, no start, no reaction after reconnect battery, wait, etc. One day lost for test and learn about this bug.

Bad sentiment, sincerely, I have despend over than 2200 euros and more for this laptop. I have payed over 327 euros taxes supplement. And now ?

I have send email to support … But very very very bad new about … this new material bug.

I have lost data, I lost my time, I lost my money …

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear this. I got mine in November '21. It died in December '21. I received a new machine in January '22. It has worked fine since the new one came. Others, however, have not been so lucky. I never was given an explanation of what failed, just that I was getting a new laptop. Fortunately I live in AZ, USA and the laptops come from CA, USA so it was a short time and no customs. I feel for everyone in this situation who has struggled for a resolution.

1 Like

My 2nd replacement seems to be working well for the last 20 days. I will keep you all posted.

Hi, the same problem occurred to me yesterday (ordered L14 on 15th March). While having the laptop plugged in (as usual, BJ connector) I noticed the battery was at around 35 % level. All the indicators were showing the battery was charging, but in the evening I was left with an expensive (+ tax) brick (the laptop wouldn’t turn on even without the battery). Reported to support, so let’s see how it goes.

Once when turning the laptop on I noticed this message (not sure if it’s related, or for how long it’s been there, but I don’t think too long):

[ 2.000471] i915 0000:00:02.0: firmware: failed to load i915/kbl_dmc_ver1_04.bin (-2)
[ 2.000xxx] firmware_class: See https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware for information about missing firmware

Maybe it will help someone.

that’s normal/expected, since PureOS does not include any binary driver blobs/firmware. The DMC firmware on Intel GPUs allows for additional low power states not otherwise available; there is no functional issue with it not being used.

1 Like

Same thing here. Brand new Librem 14 ordered in March. Died after a week, nothing would charge it. I returned it to be ‘fixed’ (was without a laptop for three weeks between 2-way shipping and repair time). Got the ‘repaired’ laptop 3 weeks ago and today it’s dead again, same problem – neither the original charger that shipped with it nor the additional adapter that I bought separately (direct from Purism) will charge it, and I have a $1500 brick. Unfortunately I’m not up for a third try so hoping to return for a refund.

As per my post regarding my quandary about buying a V14. These posts are incredibly concerning.

Is there a bad batch of these or what?

Any news from the OP about his problem?

1 Like

This is ridiculous. Anyone buying a L14 up to this point is completely out of touch with reality, or has lots of money to gamble.

New customers receive refurbished, defective devices that have to be sent back again, in an endless cycle of nonsense and time/money wasted.

1 Like