New Librem 14 will not power on

Just to offer up some kind of closure for my experience, I sent my laptop back to Purism with the hard drive removed. They prepared and shipped back a replacement that has been working since I received it three days ago. I’m happy with how this process went as the shipment was paid for by Purism and was quick.

1 Like

Good to hear, same experience for me. My new laptop just arrived with no cost for shipping both ways.

This problem just popped up for me today. I have reached out to support. Looking forward to getting this fixed as fast as possible.

1 Like

Purism paying for shipping must be a new policy. I had to pay to ship mine back due to the keyboard not working after just a few days of having it.

1 Like

I’m happy to report that after a month+ after receiving my replacement L14 I’ve experienced no issues with power.

It seems like they’ve resolved whatever was causing this. If you’re in the batch of people who got the kamikaze machines rest assured that Purism is responding accordingly and replacing them without delay.

This is curious. What kind of problem did you have with the keyboard?

@Amstram see my earlier post in this thread.

So I attempted the EC chip flash with the CH341A spi chip programmer, following the instructions from Purism, using my Librem 15 with PureOS loaded. Apparently, my EC chip had the identical image already on the chip, so that means that I was already on EC ROM version 1.5 or what not. After the reflash, the laptop still would not power on. I will be sending my laptop back via RMA

The problem has returned for me :frowning:

It had been plugged in for a while when I got up this morning and noticed the battery was almost depleted despite the charger being connected. I tried rebooting, disconnecting/reconnecting the charger and the battery with no success. I’ve been in touch with support.

1 Like

Yikes, oh no… that’s really bad news!!! Very sorry to hear for you and ultimately us all. Doesn’t look like we’re out of the woods yet. I’ve been avoiding leaving my new laptop plugged in, which I got about the same time as you.

1 Like

Damn. What OS are you running? Are you running Pure OS or Qubes?

PureOS. I had downloaded the latest iso and installed from USB when I received the laptop.

Thermos, what is the latest?

Still awaiting the return of my Librem 14. Hoping for a better outcome.

Yeah, my replacement is working well… except now I’m MUCH AFRAID and NEVER leave the adapter plugged in when I’m not using it…. So I always keep the charge below 100%.

At some point I need to bite the bullet and leave it plugged in, because if that breaks it, I need to know it before going off warranty.

Received my laptop back yesterday. So far so good. First thing I did was load up the DKMS for Qubes.

Welp, that didn’t take long. Tonight, while plugged in, my laptop all of a sudden powered off. I had stepped away for 2 minutes, and came back to it being off. I turned it back on, and while booting up, it went off again. I tried one more time, and the same thing. Now it won’t power on at all. This was all while plugged in. At this point, I’m at a loss. This is my 3rd Librem laptop, and hopefully not my final. I was hoping to have my laptop with me on vacation soon, but now, I’m not sure.

1 Like

Hey @NotByOsmosis - sorry to hear, that’s a bummer!!! Do you know if the charge may have reached 100%?

Good day @MrChromebox - there are now two owners on this thread that have had 2 laptops fail. Seems like there must be a fairly high failure rate to get those odds. Has engineering figured out the problem/fix for this? What’s going on from your vantage point???

1 Like

DKMS settings keep the battery from reaching 100%, and stops charging at 95%.

1 Like

What odds? Is it 2:10, or 2:100,000?