New Post: Digital Freedom: No Clicking on “I Agree” to Use Smartphones or PCs Supported by PureOS!

@rexmlee has written a new blog article for Purism.

2 Likes

Loving that attention to detail.

Also this is the second or third post lately that basically is “look how awesome we are for using linux”… I didn’t have to agree to any terms to use linux on any of my hardware nor did I have to agree to any terms for any of the hardware itself…

I get one puff piece for marketing, but it seems to be more fluff than substance lately in these articles. Combine that with not even linking to the correct website nor replacing the wrong link with a corrected link and it looks unprofessional bordering on AI generated.

2 Likes

This is some kind of markup fail, I would imagine - and it definitely has occurred in earlier blog posts by this author but I chose to let it slide. How does one get this fixed, at least for future blog posts? @JCS ?

This can be a confusing area because I use multiple fora and they use overlapping and inconsistent markup languages, and then there are content creation systems that are beyond fora that use different markup languages again. (For example, in my time I have made a fair few edits in Wikipedia and its markup language is a whole world of additional complexity.)

For what it’s worth, you use double tilde before and after the text in the markup language used in this forum in order to get strikethrough but unfortunately that tells us nothing as we don’t know what software the author is using. strikethrough

It’s not just a markup fail. The URL is wrong. There is no www.purism.com (server not found). It should be https://puri.sm or www.puri.sm . It’s possible, I suppose, that whatever they were using knew to mark dead URL’s with a strikethrough?

It says something if Rex Lee (whoever he is … since they don’t have a “core team” page anymore) can’t even get the URL right.

2 Likes

Not supported by the evidence though. The previous post by this author had a link that was struck through, as I alluded to, but the link there does work. While I can’t swear that it did work, I’m sticking with: markup fail.

As fun as puri.sm is, if you were a US-headquartered company called Purism, wouldn’t you register purism.com? (and it does appear to be registered) That means that the link might be correct and the DNS and HTTP config is wrong. Needs more investigation, which I will leave to Purism. Of course you are correct that the sensible thing is just to use a domain in the link that actually works. :wink:

Speaking as one who operates a bunch of domains / web sites, I would just redirect purism.com to puri.sm if the latter is the branding that they want, or treat the domains as alternatives (reflecting identical content) if they don’t care so much about the branding and just want URLs to work.

Yep, that was a simple oversight. I sent out a flare soon after this article was published, but the team works asynchronously (as most of you know) and it regrettably hasn’t been fixed yet.

Director of Enterprise Sales, Marketing, and Business Development

Yep, of course. I pinged the systems group to verify ownership. Naturally, if Purism owns it, I would create a GitLab ticket to perform a redirect.

2 Likes

Purism originally registered for purismspc.com, but it is not mentioned anywhere; I did a reverse IP lookup.

2 Likes

It’s registered to the same organization as purism.org not to puri.sm and has been this way since at least 2006

2 Likes

Maybe they really wanted purism.spc

My philosophy is that you want customers to find you and to have their URLs work … so the more domains that work, the better.

1 Like

.spc is not a valid TLD.

https://data.iana.org/TLD/tlds-alpha-by-domain.txt

2 Likes

While a simple oversight, it’s not a good look when the people near the top with director level titles can’t get these details correct. Especially the marketing director posting a piece of marketing material and no less posting the wrong url when the correct URL is in the title bar of the browser they’re using to make that post.

While it may be a simple mistake to make it’s also simple to avoid.

2 Likes

Yep, well aware of that - but for the right amount of money it could be. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Based on the ICANN New gTLD Program: Next Round, applicants can apply for their gTLD(s) sometime in Q2 2026.

https://newgtlds.icann.org/en/next-round

2 Likes

Thank you for pointing out the mistake. We are a small team of human beings so errors happen. Just like bugs or regressions can happen in software development, there can be typos in blog posts or website pages. We do our best to avoid them but they happen, so we correct them when we are aware of them.

Regarding the content of that blog post and some previous posts, I know that it may be boring to read for free software experts but it is also important to explain the advantage of free software to people who are not aware of if. The goal of Purism has always been to expend its message outside of the core audience of free software enthusiasts and to develop freedom respecting devices for everyone. Which is not an easy task but what we have accomplished so far with mobile and convergent technologies is amazing! And we keep moving forward.

5 Likes

I may have missed it, but I haven’t seen that criticism raised.

This would be nice to see more of in blog posts, the latest ones the most recent two are basically repeating the same thing and are benefits of nearly all linux distros and hardware independent.
Before that was the post about the change in wifi cards which had started taking effect months before.
Continuing back is an advertisement about saving 350 on the librem 5.
Then a third post that’s the same topic as the mosr recent 2 (so now we’re at 3 of 5 recent topics are the same basic topic) with an advertisement and a single update that an old change is now complete mixed in.

To me that looks more like trying to fill the gap in progress with noise. The SNR is not great from my perspective.

That’s not to say to never write a puff piece, but there is something to be said for exploring more topics and expanding the message beyond just repeating yourselves.

2 Likes

Then you will want to refund your customers first: Purism is more infamous for not honouring their policies; dismissing refund emails; and offering store credit instead.

No amount of regurgitated blog articles is going to obfuscate the broken trust between you and them. Those betrayed customers could have generously praised Purism if it were not for such flagrant disregard of their funds and your own promises by tampering with the return policy.

1 Like

Which is fine considering that most of the world’s desktops, laptops and phones do not run Linux (and please, to everyone, let’s not rerun the discussion “Android is Linux”). So there is a large market to be introduced to the libre ethos, who may not have considered Linux.

You do know that you can, you know, not read the posts. :slight_smile:

Just call it GNU/Linux and those nerds are happy. This way you can save the long side note. :wink:

Sure they might not currently and might not out of the box, but that doesn’t mean that they can’t and in turn this in no way counters my point raised.

You do know client side filtering of noise doesn’t change the SNR and in turn this doesn’t impact my point at all…

2 Likes

Yes, but the world is full of noise and we have the knowledge and power to filter it or not. It is now a privilege to block advertisements, use a Linux phone, and retain our attention in spite of adversarial forces.