New Post: Librem 14 Update: Freed EC, Shipping Beginning in March

Well their last delay update came about this time last month, so one has to wonder…:thinking:

2 Likes

The title post need a modification for ‘Shipping Beginning in April’, i think…

3 Likes
𝙼𝙰𝚁𝙲𝙷 – 𝟸𝟶𝟸𝟷
𝚂𝚞|𝙼𝚘|𝚃𝚞|𝚆𝚎|𝚃𝚑|𝙵𝚛|𝚂𝚊
-------------------------------
--|XX|XX|XX|XX|XX|XX
XX|XX|XX|XX|XX|XX|XX
XX|XX|XX|XX|XX|XX|XX
XX|𝟸𝟸|𝟸𝟹|𝟸𝟺|𝟸𝟻|𝟸𝟼|𝟸𝟽
𝟸𝟾|𝟸𝟿|𝟹𝟶|𝟹𝟷|--|--|--

giphy

Yep, exactly, 8 business days left in March. I’m not getting any warm fuzzies about my grubby hands getting a hold of this mythical beast this month (“ships in” doesn’t necessarily mean “delivers in”, especially for folks across the pond).

Also, sadly, I think it’s been pretty well established that updates happen only at the end of the month due to a delay, which is an awesome pre-order customer experience…

4 Likes

Its the last straw for me. I’ll be calling VISA on April 1st to start the charge-back process if shipping notifications haven’t been sent out.

3 Likes

I pre-ordered L14 back in July the last year and paid with BTC. I’m fed up with waiting any longer and consider canceling the order if they don’t ship this month. Since I paid with BTC will I get the same amount of BTC back?

So what is the plan? Does it include shipping products this week?

Since many here seem to be blissfully(?) unaware of the current supply-line disruptions due to covid, I thought that they might appreciate being made aware of them:

as an fyi, I too am waiting for an L14.

2 Likes

Sure but COVID did not start 5 days ago when we got a confirmation that shipping is according to plan, which as far as we know means shipping this month.

Sure but the problems in the supply chain are constantly expanding and may get worse every day.

2 Likes

Well I think at this point it would be good to get more transparency, as in number of products manufactured / number of products in production / number of product waiting on supplier etc. I understand the no updates unless something changes policy when things aren’t changing, but clearly they do as you point out possibly daily. I don’t mind the wait, but I do mind having no way of even guessing when the product (I already paid for) might be shipped other than very likely not when it was promised.

So your issue is transparency, not delivery date?

Much more so to be honest. (Wouldn’t complain getting it early of course)

I doubt the suppliers are being as transparent as purism. They can’t report what they don’t know.

As far as the other information you mentioned, who else reports that? If you know how to find that information from any other manufacturer, I’d be very interested to know (honestly).

1 Like

Well I can at least see for Dell their production material / work in process / finished goods inventory values as they are public. Obviously my and maybe some other’s worry is if it turns out that the company is in financial difficulty and that is the cause of the delay, that is, I will never receive the product and this is why they should strive for as much transparency as possible, because people will start pulling their payments and that will surely cause problems. I really appreciate what purism is doing with their products and services and I am a bit baffled by privacy oriented product being such a small niche in this day and age, I want them to succeed and I want to use their products, but they need to understand that hardware shipment deadlines are not the same as software delivery deadlines and not being able to deliver on the agreed upon schedule is a big deal that needs to be addressed even if it’s “not their fault”.

Thank you for this detail. While I have been aware generally, this information adds to the current understanding. I dropped my car off for repairs the other day and the dealer noted they are down to 150 cars on the lot out of usual 700 due to transistor shortages. And I understand Honda shut down their lines for similar reasons.

It’s my opinion that remote work may be partially responsible for an increase in demand even as supply dips.

It certainly is. The US consumer has saved almost $2 trillion dollars in the last year, money that would have been spent on services such as going out to dinner, going to bars, movies, concerts, etc. The US consumer spent money on the only things that were possible, cars, electronics, stuff for the house. Layer on top of that a problem with water in Taiwan (semiconductor manufacturing is apparently quite water intensive) and hold ups in shipping and slim supply lines get broken at multiple places.

1 Like

I ordered a bike. Estimated delivery time: 2 years.

1 Like

:open_mouth:

As I said last week, as of right now everything is going according to plan, which is to start shipping in March. Nothing has changed those plans as of yet, so there’s nothing new to post, until we can announce shipping has begun, or some unforeseen problem comes up between now and then (this year has been full of those) that changes things.

But again, so far, things are still going according to plan.

15 Likes

The last delay posted by Purism in February was not because of supply chain (they solved CPU supply and 4-cell battery supply), but because of evaluation step after an LCD false-alarm “ghosting” issue and because of to free EC firmware before shipping.
If they are now confident about shipping deadline, I guess that at least one of these two issues should be already solved.