New Post: Opportunistic Word Completion

Check out this alternative on screen keyboard for Phosh

• Opportunistic Word Completion
  • Character popovers on long press to reduce the amount of layer and language switching necessary.
  • A emoji widget (pretty much based on what GTK does):
  • Cursor movement via long press on space
16 Likes

This Guido Gunther guy is where it is at.

4 Likes

:woozy_face:
makes me sleepy.

1 Like

How do I heart this post a second or even third time… new favorite blog post from purism.

3 Likes

I would not use this myself, but I am glad it exists as an option for others to consider.

4 Likes

Wow, this looks really cool!

I have some questions:

1. Is this keyboard compatible with Squeekboard-Layouts and other themes for Squeekboard? Custom YAML and GTK styles?

2. How can I make my own keyboard? Where do I start?

Out of all the different keyboards that I’ve used on android and iOS, I think that the MessagEase keyboard was the best, and I would like to make my own version of it for the Librem 5.

Currently, I only know how to write basic bash scripts and css code; regarding more complex projects, I don’t know where to begin.

Seeing this new keyboard by @guido.gunther that has swipe support to move the cursor gives me hope that it should be possible to make what I want with the current software available. But as I said, I don’t know where to begin. Any help would be appreciated.

5 Likes
1 Like

I read that, but it looks like it’s written for people that already understand how to build software. I’m not there yet. I need an abolute beginners starting point for what to read and study, as well as what software is needed to start creating something like this.

3 Likes

Okay, here is the resource I fetched:

Welcome to squeekboard’s documentation! — squeekboard documentation

3 Likes

Thank you for the link. I will need to clone the Squeekboard repo in order to read anything provided there, but that should be a good starting point for me to read. Hopefully it is beginner-friendly.

2 Likes

The source code for phosh-osk-stub doesn’t seem to be free. When tryng to load the repo in a web browser or when trying to clone the repo, I am blocked behind an account signin requirement. And the signup page has a google captcha requirement, so that’s out of the question.

Will the source code eventually be freely available? I would like to study it.

Edit:

4 Likes

Use this instead:

3 Likes

Thank you again. You are really good with providing relevant links. Much appreciated.

It’s weird that GNOME would restrict code like this. I thought they cared about Free Software.

And thank you @guido.gunther for your work!

2 Likes

I can’t wait to try this. Even if I switch back to Squeekboard (I am not always crazy about text that I type automatically changing on me), having a new toy to play with on my L5 is one hell of an Xmas present!

Thank you Guido and team, this is super cool.

Question: What is the difference between manual and auto mode for Squeekboard?

• 0 /usr/share/applications/sm.puri.Squeekboard.desktop 50 auto mode
    1 /usr/share/applications/sm.puri.Squeekboard.desktop 50 manual mode
    2 /usr/share/phosh-osk-stub/sm.puri.Phosh.OskStub.desktop 30 manual mode
1 Like

It’s GPLv3 and at Guido Günther / phosh-osk-stub · GitLab

7 Likes

Does anyone know what information is leaked in each direction when someone signs into gnome gitlab via github?

1 Like

No, you can find out if you want to.

Man, even without the auto completion I can type on this keyboard WAY faster and more acurate!

4 Likes

And maybe my millenial is showing, but I do appreciate having a much more complete emoji set :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Joy was short lived… as warned with the beta status, I started having some strange issues and I had to switch back. Oh well :slight_smile:

1 Like