New Post: Opportunistic Word Completion

Works as expected.

3 Likes

Thank you for the screenshot! Looks like that bar is missing for me :thinking:

2 Likes

If you are on Byzantium, you need to add byzantium-updates-proposed to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Once opened, add this line:

deb https://repo.pureos.net/pureos byzantium-updates-proposed main

Then:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install phosh-osk-stub

If you already installed the package, use sudo apt upgrade phosh-osk-stub for the second command instead.

Here are the possible valid strings for the keyboard shortcuts:

So, as an example:

gsettings set sm.puri.phosh.osk.Terminal shortcuts "['Mail', 'Calculator', 'Documents', 'Tools']"

This allows you to conveniently launch Geary, Calculator, GNOME Files/Nautilus, and Settings, respectively. Note that not all values from the list are properly mapped to a function at this time.

4 Likes

Thanks! Now it works, and emojis in fractal works as well :grin:

2 Likes

Just a word of caution: enabling byzantium-updates-proposed gets you less tested software (including kernels). So I’d either enable apt pinning (to only selectively pull packages from there (Document apt pinning configuration (#173) · Issues · Librem5 / developer.puri.sm · GitLab)) or remove it after fetching the package.

5 Likes

After some intense experimentations, I have a few terminal shortcut configurations I like. This one is used for documents:

gsettings set sm.puri.phosh.osk.Terminal shortcuts "['Cut', 'Copy', 'Paste', 'Undo', 'Redo']"

This one is an application launcher based on the prior post I made above:

gsettings set sm.puri.phosh.osk.Terminal shortcuts "['WWW', 'Mail', 'Calculator', 'Explorer']"

If you want to combine them, along with “Tools” to split the shortcuts into two distinct sections:

gsettings set sm.puri.phosh.osk.Terminal shortcuts "['Cut', 'Copy', 'Paste', 'Undo', 'Redo', 'WWW', 'Mail', 'Calculator', 'Explorer', 'Tools']"

Currently, Shift, Alt, and Control cannot be created as standalone terminal shortcuts, as I suspect it has to do with them normally being toggle buttons.

5 Likes

I am a millenial if I recall according to how they classify people, but I find autocomplete text very annoying. Before moving to Librem 5, my Android had all the auto completes turned off so that it showed a keyboard, and each screen tap of a letter would put that letter on the page. I find this to be more wholesome and sensible than the alternatives.

Aren’t autocorrecting AIs often used as an excuse to collect user data?

4 Likes

Does this even matter? Who wants to collect data will do it - with “reason” or without.

1 Like

The correction is all local so who would collect that data? Also if you don’t want it, you disable it.

5 Likes

If I’m reading the topic correctly, you could use a remote AI for autocorrection (completion), but if that does not meet your privacy requirements (it certainly wouldn’t meet mine) then … you simply wouldn’t do that. You would use local completion.

In principle, that local completion could be using AI that has been trained on the internet but as long as you are running it locally, you can verify the code and be sure that it is not collecting anything or at least not sending anything to the internet. (It can make sense for it to collect local data in order to adapt the AI to your specific usage e.g. if you keep on using a surprising word sequence that few internet users have used then the AI would ideally adapt to that.)

However this (AI) goes well beyond just “checking a dictionary”, which may still be an improvement over the current behaviour.

1 Like

The option to switch it of is music to my ears :grinning:

2 Likes

It is simply a toggle in the Mobile Settings app, and currently off by default.

5 Likes

I assume you are running Crimson, since my mobile settings app is lacking any of those options.

1 Like

Yes, but that is irrelevant: phosh-osk-stub is required to enable any of these options.

3 Likes

OK, that explains it. Thanks for the info.

2 Likes

This is what I’m using for shortcuts:

gsettings set sm.puri.phosh.osk.Terminal shortcuts "['<ctrl>a', '<ctrl>x', '<ctrl>c', '<ctrl>v', 'Up', 'Down', 'Left', 'Right', '<ctrl>q', '<ctrl>w', '<ctrl>r', '<ctrl>z', '<ctrl>i', '<ctrl>o', '<ctrl>f', 'Delete', 'Menu']"

There are lots of Ctrl commands, as well as Delete, Menu, and all arrows (Up, Down, Left, & Right).

4 Likes

I have read the css code from the repo and modified my custom gtk.css file to properly apply to this keyboard, and it looks great.

The non-css code from the repo is confusing to me.

I don’t understand how to modify the positions of keys on the various layouts. Can this be done in a similar way to Sqeekboard, in which it is possible to modify a YAML file and place it in ~/.local/squeekboard/keyboards/ directory, or is there another way in which to modify the layouts for this phosh-osk-stub keyboard? I see that .json files are used for the layouts, but I don’t know how to apply my own custom layout.

I also wonder if modifying existing files is enough to be able to create the keyboard that I want to create (based on MessagEase), or if I will need to learn how to create code in non-css languages to accomplish this.

3 Likes

As the new year approaches, I know many people are busy with other things (like celebrating), but I want to ask again if anyone has any understanding of how to modify keyboard layouts for the phosh-osk-stub keyboard.

@guido.gunther, when you are less busy, would you please help me to understand some things about your amazing keyboard? I’m really showing my ignorance here, but I am completely lost on how to modify it at all (except for gtk color themes), and I would appreciate any help on the matter.

If anyone else has anything to share about this keyboard, please do.

1 Like

No, but I suspect @Ick may know more and/or has interest in the matter.

1 Like

Note that modifying layouts isn’t one of p-o-s goals at the moment so you’ll be way more happy with squeekboard in that regard. That said you can use G_RESOURCE_OVERLAY (which is a generic glib mechanism to overlay gresources) to overlay your own layouts without recompiling. I don’t have an example at hand but Avoiding notches · Phosh explains how to use G_RESOURCE_OVERLAY for notch information. It’s similar for the osk layout’s json file.

4 Likes