Newbie: PureOS for Beginners Resources

So how do I know when I need to put sudo if they don’t tell me like on the flatpak website?

I saw that page at some point but wasn’t sure what to do with the downloaded file. So am I all set you regardless?

If I do it this way, will I still be able to check for updated for the app in the Software center and have it tell me when one is available?

Somebody suggested using the Snap manager for installing applications:
Snap:
App manager
https://snapcraft.io/search?q=what
sudo apt update
sudo apt install snapd

Can anyone tell me if this is ok for PureOS or if there is a reason I should not use this? Thank you.

You’ll get a feel for it quickly. In general, in Linux, any command that involves installing a package or modifying the file system itself will require sudo. In any case, if you try a command without sudo when it does need elevated privilege, you’ll see the “permission denied…are you root?” message. Then you’ll know to try again with sudo.

Incidentally, in the terminal, you can use the up and down arrows on the keyboard to cycle through past commands you’ve entered. That makes it easy to go back and insert sudo or change the command slightly without having to type it all over again.

Another terminal tip: You can do copy and paste actions from the terminal menu. If you want to do it from the keyboard instead, these are done with Control+Shift and the letters “c,” and “v,” unlike in other applications where you use only the Control key plus the letter.

This introduction to the command line is written for Ubuntu, but it applies to all Debian derivatives, such as PureOS: https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/command-line-for-beginners#1-overview

1 Like

If you’re able to install flatpaks now, then you should be good. But maybe @fsflover can advise whether to revert everything and start over, based on their comment above…? I’m not sure.

Update notifications should appear in your panel (taskbar) as soon as they’re available. No need to open the software store and go searching; the Update Manager (at least that’s what it’s called in Linux Mint) handles notifications and allows you to apply updates from there.

That doesn’t apply to flatpaks, though. For those, execute the command flatpak update (no sudo required). I think they can also be set to update themselves automatically.

I’ve never used Snaps and don’t know much about them, but some think they’re not optimal: https://ostoday.org/linux/why-is-ubuntu-snap-bad.html

Yes you can

I am not so knowledgeable to answer that unfortunately. I do not have extensive experience with the Flatpack and I don’t know how it works under the hood. I guess if it works for you, everything should be fine.

1 Like

Well, I am pretty new too. It is taking me long enough to go through the tutorials on each feature. I am super hesitant to download anything Purism did not give me. I am so tired of the censorship and cannot wait to be off of the computer I am on. I want to be a part of this thread so I can soak it all up like a sponge.

4 Likes