Phone calls broken

Just when I thought the Librem 5 was starting to become fairly stable and mostly working, I’m suddenly back to phone calls being broken.

If someone phones me, it rings on their end (so the call connects to the modem), but nothing happens on the phone at all. Problem persists after reboot. My last logged phone call in the app is the 23rd September, so it’s failed just in the last week.

The support email no longer seems to respond to any messages, so wondering if anybody knows anything about this. Is it possible there’s another firmware update I need (I remember updating the firmware to get suspend working, but don’t remember the steps)? It’s the European modem version.

1 Like

Does anything happen if you try to call someone from the Librem 5?

1 Like

Yes, you can check your modem firmware by installing bm818-tools, restarting your Librem 5, then opening the app. If one of the values shown is YCSN0_M100E_1BAD_3117_V1.0.0.2_20220930_BM818-E1, then it is up-to-date.

You could check what journalctl shows for the time when someone tries to call you. If that shows nothing, then you could try running ModemManager in debug mode to get more detailed info.

1 Like

Seems I can’t make calls either. I’ve only got SMS and data working.

bm818 just says “Failed to get Modem FW version” and “Can’t get LTE status”.

It’s looking to me like it’s been corrupted and needs reflashing. Anybody got the instructions for reflashing? I recall another package for that which had to be installed manually…

1 Like

have you tried a different sim card or put that sim card in a different device?

1 Like

How would that relate to the modem being broken? The SIM card has nothing to do with what bm818 is reporting, right?

Frankly, I’ve seen these kind of errors in the past, when I was trying to figure out why suspend didn’t work (I didn’t have recent enough firmware, buit it also reported that error message about the firmware version back then, until I flashed the new firmware).

1 Like

I was having the same problem. I flashed the modem to the latest version and it seemed like it was working. Maybe a day or two later, I couldn’t make a call with 3 bars of signal strength. I checked the bm818 tool and got the “Failed to get Modem FW version” .

1 Like

Pinging @dos in the hope that he may know something about this.

1 Like

Got the instructions for that?

1 Like

I used this post.

1 Like

Weirdly, the firmware flash shows my current version before flashing, even though bm818-tools does not…

Reflashed and calls are working again. It’s re-enabled VoLTE, which I had to disable last time as it would just cut out. I’ll see if it continues to work properly this time…

2 Likes

That can be a permissions problem (search for existing discussion), particularly if you installed the tool a long time ago (before it got fixed) or you installed it in a non-standard way or in an unusual environment (as happened for me).

You should be able to get the firmware version directly using an AT command and that might get a better error message!

1 Like