Phones coming tomorrow; final shipping emails via u/kop316 & u/Azdle (Pictures in thread)

Wow the phone looks amazing - easy accessible modems and changeable battery.

Can’t wait to see more videos / fotos and unpacking videos :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And then sending and receiving an SMS. These are the basics expected of a phone.

Then connecting to the customer’s wireless access point.

Then web surfing.

That might be harder to arrange given the current L5 density in the world - unless two friends / associates / colleagues, both based in the US, happen each to have one.

1 Like

SMS will work w/ Chatty, Calls will work to make/receive calls but whether audio works will depend on when Birch folks try it–there’s an audio routing issue that we discuss in this post and that we are hoping to have fixed via a software update in a few days:

12 Likes

Be prepared for a tsunami of negativity from the haters then.

2 Likes

I doubt much would change that regardless. All we can do is continue to work on issues and continue to report on our progress. I think the Breaking Ground post does a good job of describing just how difficult a task this is: https://puri.sm/posts/breaking-ground/

24 Likes

Indeed, both last news posts do a good job at reporting progress and hilighting the difficulties the project faces. Out of curiosity, is there an issue report for the audio issue to follow?

You don’t have to convince me. :slight_smile:

It would be good if blog posts were duplicated in this forum as some of us only read the forum.

Edit: For clarity, I mean content of blog post duplicated in forum. I understand that noone has time to automate that right now.

1 Like

Something I saw recommended a while ago was to get an RSS reader and have it check Purism’s blog feed: https://www.puri.sm/feed/

I used to check the blog constantly, but having an app do it for me is much better!

3 Likes

huge thanks, I didn’t even check (silly me) they have an rss.

tech might have a bright future ahead

2 Likes

from u/kop316 on reddit

9 Likes

Happy to see this finally happening! I can’t wait to see some field tests, and first impressions from people that have received their phone. I mean, people outside Purism.
I am still following this project with interest, it’s important for everyone to have an alternative like this.

3 Likes

This is awesome. From the reddit post (in the comments), it sounds like the software is at the alpha stage, but it will only improve from here. And as more and more of the community get our hands on these devices, we should be able to help out with the software as well.

Gnu/Linux phones are becoming a reality :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I just got mine a short while ago too! I’ve posted some basic unboxing photos here: https://azdle.net/2019/11/librem-5-unboxing/

And now it’s time to play with it. :smiley:

19 Likes

Thanks for the nice photos and the friendly license! I’ll put some in my next video.

7 Likes

Hi all! Here is a video of me opening the Librem 5 and turning it on.

I hope to have time eventually to film some software running. (I cut the rest of the video where I go through setup and open a web browser because the bright screen washed out of the video.)

I measure the phone at about 15cm tall, 7.5cm wide, and about 1.6cm thick (about 1.3cm thick at the side of the phone, plus a bevel angled toward the back of the phone). I can’t weigh it unfortunately.

22 Likes

That reminds me so much of the Openmoko phones. I can’t remember exactly where I saw it, but I distinctly remember them having trouble getting sound to/from the modem as well.

I wonder if that’s an inherent curse of this kind of project.

2 Likes

if it is possible to connect them in PA - should’n be a big deal to make a script with pactl shuffling around the modules and inputs/outputs to manually reroute it during the call. I mean not for purism (as they are working on automatic routing) but for someone like me as a quick and dirty workaround. alas when mine would arrive that most certainly will be fixed.
edit: and if the call connection generates dbus event the script could even be hooked up to dbus activation

1 Like

Aye, if the hardware and driver are working, making it work in userspace should be trivial (hopefully, I detest pulseaudio, so I’ll be writing some udev scripts for exactly that).

1 Like

I’m so excited to actually see these phones in users hands, it’s amazing.

2 Likes