Phosh Update -- Good & Bad

I asked about package version.

Package: phoc
Version: 0.25.2-1pureos1
Priority: optional
Section: x11
Maintainer: DebianOnMobile Maintainers debian-on-mobile-maintainers@alioth-lists.debian.net
Installed-Size: 392 kB
Depends: gsettings-desktop-schemas, mutter-common, dconf-gsettings-backend | gsettings-backend, libc6 (>= 2.29), libcairo2 (>= 1.2.4), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.63.1), libgnome-desktop-3-19 (>= 3.17.92), libinput10 (>= 1.2.0), libjson-glib-1.0-0 (>= 1.5.2), libpixman-1-0 (>= 0.25.2), libwayland-server0 (>= 1.14.91), libwlroots10 (>= 0.15.1-2pureos1~oct2), libxcb1, libxkbcommon0 (>= 0.7.0)
Recommends: phosh, xwayland
Breaks: phosh (<< 0.25.0)
Homepage: https://gitlab.gnome.org/World/Phosh/phoc/
Download-Size: 111 kB
APT-Manual-Installed: no
APT-Sources: https://repo.pureos.net/pureos byzantium/main arm64 Packages
Description: Wayland compositor for mobile phones
Tiny wayland compositor based on wlroots for use on mobile phones like the
Librem 5.
You likely want to use Phosh (the phone shell) with it.

I have a millipixels packages installed that is not released yet with some of the autofocus, etc functionality:

Version: 0.20.0-1+librem5ci82275.93a4476

Also i am using the up to date stock kernel 6.1.0-1-librem5

You guessed right i also had a chatty pre-release installed:

Package: chatty
Version: 0.7.1+librem5ci81720.c2436f3f
Priority: optional
Section: net
Maintainer: Mohammed Sadiq sadiq@sadiqpk.org
Installed-Size: 2,049 kB
Depends: dconf-gsettings-backend | gsettings-backend, libc6 (>= 2.25), libcairo2 (>= 1.2.4), libebook-1.2-20 (>= 3.17), libebook-contacts-1.2-3 (>= 3.16.2), libedataserver-1.2-25 (>= 3.17), libfeedback-0.0-0 (>= 0.0.0+git20200305), libgcc-s1 (>= 3.0), libgcrypt20 (>= 1.8.0), libgdk-pixbuf-2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.65.1), libgnome-desktop-3-19 (>= 3.17.92), libgspell-1-2 (>= 1.8.2), libgtk-3-0 (>= 3.21.5), libhandy-1-0 (>= 1.5.0), libjson-glib-1.0-0 (>= 1.5.2), libmm-glib0 (>= 1.12.0), libolm3 (>= 3.2.1), libpango-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0), libphonenumber8, libpurple0 (>= 2.6.0), libsecret-1-0 (>= 0.19.1), libsoup2.4-1 (>= 2.44.0), libsqlite3-0 (>= 3.7.15), libstdc++6 (>= 5.2)
Recommends: mmsd-tng, purple-xmpp-carbons, purple-lurch, purple-xmpp-http-upload
Suggests: calls
Homepage: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/chatty
Download-Size: unknown
APT-Manual-Installed: no
APT-Sources: /var/lib/dpkg/status
Description: SMS, MMS and XMPP messaging
Chatty is GTK based chat application supporting SMS, MMS and XMPP.
It works on desktops but also adjusts to small screen sizes like smart phones
and other mobile devices

Not exactly sure why but upon purging this chatty version and installing normal chatty 0.7.0 the power button behaves as intended.

When changing the volume with volume buttons and settings panel unfolded, the volume overlay does not need to be shown, as it would be redundant.

When locked similarly with settings unfolded and pushing volume buttons settings panel should not fold instead just show volume change inputs. Instead it folds the quick settings panel.

I think there also lies an opportunity to regigger the volume buttons to do different things depending on use case, change volume when listening to music, or reducing volume of an alert, but how about when selecting the brightness slider and then pushing the volume buttons could use up down volume to change brightness while brightness function has focus, or say select a scroll bar and push volume up down buttons now scrolling a browser page up and down, or when reading and pushing volume buttons page left and right - just an idea to hook these up to all sorts of UI elements, it seems wasteful for them to only control volume (and setting phone to flash mode)

Small nitpick overamplification missing from quick settings slider.

One other observation. With LUKS eMMC whole disk encryption on boot the OSK is shown to de-crypt the drive. This might also be related to uBoot not sure but once the display is on and OSK shows, after pressing the HKS power button the screen does not turn off and stays on.

What it should be doing is on boot load the functionality that enables the power button to also turn on or off the screen on press regardless where the phone is in its boot cycle. Also the screen just remains on and arguably would drain your battery faster if you didn’t pay attention and continued decrypt process. Similar to iOS you can turn on and off the screen, even when the device is not booted, but shows you the charge level.

6 Likes

Where you get the librem one

Thats the Purism Librem One subscription service family plan including VPN access.

https://docs.puri.sm/Librem_One/Generic.html#librem-one-generic

BTW the weird behaviour of the screen turning on and off and on and off repeatedly still exists, though not as common. Today for example i plugged in the phone to charge and the display would not turn off, so i pushed the power button, then pushed it again, then pushed it again, and the screen remained on (some race condition?).

Also something else less noticeable but when turning on the screen there seems to be a slight flickr in the display brightness as the screen turns on to full brightness, the fading in does not happen when turning the display off, just on. I don’t think that used to be present either.

After a while it started turning off, then on, then off repeatedly. So something is still buggy.

2 Likes

With phosh/phoc 0.27 on receiving a notification (or when the blue LED is lighting up) and when trying to wake the phone using the power button, i notice that the screen backlight turns on slightly, or is already turned on, but the UI, or lockscreen does not come up, and or does not show anything often times.

This may also be related to suspend. But that didn’t used to happen. Only workaround is to re-start, rarely if you push the power button and wait say 2 minutes the UI comes up with a big delay.

Other items related to the volume overlay when pressing volume buttons causes the entire UI to lock and cannot be interacted with which could be improved.

Not sure if this is related to phosh, but on restart you always have to toggle the modem using Mobile Data settings toggle, while the WIFI appears to come up without any toggling required after restart (and using Open VPN).

With phosh/phoc 0.28 I loooooove the repeating volume control with volume switch!!! I configured my first custom SMS, Ringtone!!! Using ffmpeg mostly to convert mp3 files downloaded online to oog. The volume output of files also needs to be boosted since it tends to be quiet for L5 for some reason. Another thing i think has changed is that the LUKS decryption password entry screen on phone restart is now showing max brightness (which it didn’t do before), this is great!!

Some of the same issues above still apply:

1. don’t show volume overlay when top control/status bar is unfolded showing volume bar,
  2. don’t lock entire UI when changing volume with volume keys and instead allow touch, swipe, shell and app interaction while volume is changed, shouldn’t that be possible to do in parallel?
  3. the screen turning on and off repeatedly has gone away since 0.27 phosh/phoc on power button press, however the behaviour of waking the screen backlight after suspend but shell not coming up (unlock screen with pin, or last shown shell, if lock hasn’t engaged yet) happens, phone restart is required afterwards (I get that every day ~2 times or so)
  4. wifi connection to 2.4GHz, or 5GHz networks is reallly slow with Open VPN, mobile data is 20 times faster to connect, so something is going on, when further away from wifi router (two rooms)
  5. on reboot wifi does connect right away with open vpn oddly enough, but mobile data does not, always showing the “!” mark, and toggling 4G mobile data is required to restore data connection
  6. when launching apps like geary nothing happens, and or shows for a while, it would be nice if the app either launches in the background and indication is provided like in Ubuntu that app is now ready to use when it is ready (instead of switching to it), or launch app immediatelly and show an app card based on last known screen with some sortof loading indication
  7. with Apple iOS the volume buttons actually do not wake the screen (they may still change the volume when playing a song, but with L5 volume buttons behave like a power button and always wake the screen, I wonder if why the difference in implementation or benefits/downsides to each
  8. allow wifi and mobile data to connect through single open vpn connection at the same time, multi threaded / multi plexed? (not sure network manager can support something like that)
  9. firefox youtube embedded windows show strange line artifacts sometimes:

1 Like

Is that a phosh bug or did it come with the Firefox updates?

there were a bunch of updates phosh, default phone settings, uboot, kernel… maybe included firefox not sure, these all happened over last ~4 days

Firefox had definitely an update that broke my modifications (UI-fixes). I just replaced it with my backup and everything worked as expected again.

1 Like

whats your current FF browser?

Youtube? There will be an issue between Browsers and Google, its known that it often try to change code to hassle humans which try to use the service with Adblock, privacy respecting / anonymous settings.

So i would prefer some VPN or tor connection to watch some content.

If you have a Youtube Plus Subscription and pay for that stuff you can try to write the support too and ask fore some Firefox-Support on a DRM-Linux Computer.

Edit: About Firefox Modification. I have the Screen Setting (150 percent, instead of 200 by default) and Webpages Zoom Adjusted (75percent by Firefox Plugin.) to display a higher resolution on a small screen. Its fine, like a Desktop but you need good eyes to read small fonts and Information. I just love it.

I saw somewhere that firefox will enable hardware video acceleration for linux computers, not sure that will benefit the L5, but if it uses the same Vala type driver it would be huge.

Is phosh 0.28 out yet?

1 Like

Yes it is though when each user receives an update not sure if that is timed somehow so not every device updates at the same time and crashes server.

2 Likes

@guido.gunther Is there a way to set more emergency contacts(beyond 911) in the newish emergency calls window?

The numbers are read from the SIM. If that is incorrect for your country please file an issue at https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/calls/-/issues

“Custom emergency contacts” are a different matter (see the emergency info plugin in phosh for that) as they need an unlocked SIM, etc.

Also https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/calls/-/issues/?label_name[]=emergency%20calling might be of interest.

4 Likes

is anybody running phosh 0.29 already, it has not been pushed to my device yet :-/

1 Like

No, mine is 0.28.0-1pureos1.