Profesional Office Productivity Software

Take a look below at what I have shared and please feel free to share the same or better quality material produced with LibreOffice anything.

If I wanted to only use PowerPoint I would use LibreOffice because they are about the same.

I could only share screenshots too.

Little short magic shows like this no big deal, but 10,000 plus word research papers I’ve tried 3 of them in LibreOffice Writer it was too time consuming. Deadlines make it hard to use LibreOffice. I want to use ONLY my PureOS box, and if I had all the time in the world no big deal. However, I’m have deadlines that do not allow for time consuming task that can be near automated using other tools.

I fail to see how this is relevant to what I said?

I’m sharing Page 1 here of my quarterly “professional” document (a.k.a. published newsletter) for your perusal. I used LIbreOffice on Mint with a 99 dollar laptop. Note bottom left, I got an ISSN for it. It was only an 8 pager this quarter. (If anyone wants the full issue, it is 7 bucks this issue or 25 bucks for a yearly subscription.)

For citations, didn’t there used to be free web sites generate them in APA or MLA format? Copy and paste plain text into whatever writer you want. Maybe those web sites realized the money in it and started charging. Or like you say, maybe going to a web site is too lenghy a process, especiall if MS Word is doing it for you. (Basically I agree with you but saying yes it can be done, but there are difficulties.)

Another case in point I also agree with you. You can’t make an mp4 video from LibreOffice Impress, but MS PowerPoint will. One of my sons was the odd man out in a college cybersecurity course when it came to submitting a college project, all the other students simply submitted mp4 videos of their PowerPoints. My son who is also only on Libreoffice could not. (Untill I showed him an online service that could do it for him. But he had to give up some privacy, like giving up an email address, he used his librem.one email.)

4 Likes

Why did you do this? The point of Libre software, at least in theory, is that it is supposed to be modifiable by the user. You identified a problem in need of fixing and then wasted time leaving it broken instead of downloading the LibreOffice source and fixing it for yourself and others.

When you choose to waste time like this, aren’t you letting yourself and everyone else down?

1 Like

There is a major quality difference that Libre software produces or can produce and what Apple Keynote that is also free on a MAC produces.

As previously stated I work on deadlines thus didn’t have the time to mess with it.

I won’t fix it because I’m not the one who fully understands what is missing. It sounds like you are the one who better understands that.

Did you file an issue on the LibreOffice issue trackers, at least? Maybe I could read more about it if I was going to think about implementing it some day during downtime.

But it sounds like you were operating on a deadline, so I think if you automated your work to make sure you met the deadline surely that would’ve gone faster than clicking a button a gazillion times repeatedly.

It’s been filed for years yes I looked it up and then abandoned that project and went back to MS Word.

Sounds like all the more reason to fix it for oneself, but maybe that’s just my perspective.

On PureOS, use sudo apt install obs then during the setup wizard, tell it you are recording and not streaming. Then add a window recording to record the Impress application, go into settings and tell it to save as mp4, set a hotkey to record in obs, then tell Impress to start slideshow. Once the slideshow is fullscreen, press the record hotkey, click through the presentation at your natural speaking rate, then press the end recording hotkey at the end before closing the presentation. The two hotkeys can be the same key for on/off – I often set this to F9.

This way, you can make an mp4 of your presentation without exposing your data to an unknown third party online.

1 Like

You made the statement that 1. Libre produces professional outputs and 2. that I could use office online. Libra cannot produce the same level of quality as Apple Keynote and PowerPoint produces the same low quality result as LibreOffice Impress. So my reply was in fact relevant.

@Dlonk if I had the free time on my hands I would fix it and add the ability to create higher quality output too, but I don’t.

Really, if PureOS wanted to become more mainstream and sell more laptops they would invest the time and money to make or polymorph software to be able to produce higher quality outputs. If there was an office productivity native ability encapsulated in PureOS they could and would gain market share. Moreover, gaining market share is absolutely 100% their goal or they wouldn’t be creating laptops, mobile devices and more.

In the present time, I understand having time. But I thought you meant that in the past you spent a very significant amount of time on a manual workaround, which to me sounded like more time than what it would have taken to write some automation. It’s possible that I misunderstood you.

You have made this quality statement many times, but what is the objective technological difference? Can you explain what function you believe to be missing in libre software, such that then someone with the time could choose to implement it?

Here’s my perspective – and maybe this means I should leave helping you out to folks more knowledgeable than myself, but – I have not used Apple computers for any great length of time as my personal machine since roughly the year 2002. I have never used the Apple Keynote that I recall, and without that experience I currently feel no pressure to use it for anything in particular in my life. Why should that have to be different for you?

https://murena.io/ does in fact provide encapsulated in their OS an office productivity system, but for a mobile OS and only cloud based. It however does provide a much higher quality output than LibreOffice. It is not ideal for a PureOS user at least not for me.

@Dlonk

Thank you for sharing your perspective, and I appreciate your willingness to engage in this discussion. You’re right in pointing out that personal experience with specific software significantly shapes our preferences and needs.

To address your question about the objective technological differences: one key factor often cited is the integration and optimization of hardware and software in proprietary systems like Apple’s. Apple’s ecosystem, for instance, is designed to offer seamless integration across devices, enhancing user experience through features like Handoff, where users can start a task on one device and continue on another. This level of integration is not always as readily available or smooth in libre software environments.

Additionally, while libre software offers remarkable flexibility and customization, proprietary software like Apple’s Keynote often provides a more user-friendly interface and advanced features geared towards specific professional needs, such as advanced animation and graphic options for presentations. These features are not always present, or may not be as refined, in libre alternatives.

However, this doesn’t mean that everyone requires these specific features or that libre software is inherently lacking. It’s more about finding the right fit for individual or organizational needs. For someone deeply entrenched in the Apple ecosystem or requiring specific advanced features, the switch to a libre alternative might indeed feel like a compromise.

In your case, since you haven’t felt the need for these specific features in your work or personal life, it’s entirely valid for you not to feel compelled to use proprietary software like Apple Keynote. Everyone’s requirements and preferences are different, and what works for one may not be necessary for another.

I hope this clarifies the situation. Your assistance and input are always valuable, regardless of the software preferences we individually hold.

Why does every hardware company have to be a software company? PureOS is based on Gnome, and Gnome is contaminated with surveillance as mentioned in other threads. If you sudo apt install tcpdump on a Librem 5 or Librem 14 right out of the box after connecting to internet, then run sudo tdpdump -i any to listen for internet traffic on any interface, both devices will call home to an amazonaws endpoint to report their device location every few seconds. Why? Purism people probably don’t even know. They’re a hardware company.

Trying to tell Purism that the pie charts on some program that Purism folks didn’t write are inferior charts and should offer the option of a radial gismo sporting three dimensions instead seems like a distraction from getting a base system that works free from ridiculous spyware and garbage when there are probably bigger fish to fry.

@Dlonk
Absolutely, your point is well-taken. Debating the merits of different operating systems can often lead us into a cycle of comparison without productive outcomes. Instead, a more effective approach would be to focus our collective energies on enhancing the Linux ecosystem. By developing more user-friendly software that rivals the professionalism of Apple Keynote and MS Word – something that current Open Office based software may lack – we can work towards making Linux more mainstream and appealing to a broader audience. This is not just about matching the features of existing software but about innovating and possibly surpassing them, leveraging the unique strengths and community-driven nature of Linux. Let’s channel our discussions and efforts into tangible developments that elevate the Linux experience for all users.

Moreover, it’s evident that the current financial challenges being faced are, in part, a reflection of the system’s user-friendliness, or lack thereof. The ongoing need to raise funds suggests a deeper issue – that if the system were more intuitive and user-friendly, it might attract a wider user base and, consequently, more financial stability. By focusing efforts on enhancing the user experience, the need for external fundraising could potentially be reduced, leading to a more self-sustaining model. Addressing this aspect could be a key strategy in resolving the financial constraints being experienced. Do a simply search on the web you will find that money is an issue for them.