Profesional Office Productivity Software

I run only open source software. Therefore Apple Keynote is simply not eligible for comparison, no matter how “good” it is - unless it’s open source and available for Linux.

As has been suggested previously, the effort expended to reach 60 posts in this topic might better have been used to write up a problem report for e.g. LibreOffice explaining what task you are trying to do, how it works (better) on Apple Keynote and how it works on e.g. LibreOffice (if it can be done at all).

I personally have found that by the time that a product, whether closed or open, reaches the stage of being able to do anything and do it magnificently, it depends more on the user than on the product i.e. there are a few zillion features and you need to really know the product. If you use it every day then it works very well. For the occasional user, not so well. (In other words, give me Apple Keynote and I wouldn’t be able to create all the examples from your œuvre that you have posted anyway.)

2 Likes

For blocking the “phone home behaviour of software” we need to have tools like OpenSnitch. Sadly that it is not available yet for the L5

1 Like

My son said thanks for telling him about obs, turns out he had it, but it kept bothering about the GPU and graphic drivers. So he passed it on to his cousin who got it done and passed it back the last day of the semester.

It is, just not as easy as next Debian release (next PureOS). But with Crimson we all can install this easily.

2 Likes

Looks good!

1 Like

I’ve been providing bug reports about font kerning on LO Writer for decades. The fact is that kerning has bee a regression in LO and it’s actually better on OO Writer. I agree with OP that the results from LO just do not look as good as other proprietary office software. i.e. Any situation that requires “polish” may be problematic. Thankfully, I was in an area that if something required “polish” it went to our graphic design/arts department (where they had custom corporate color palettes, various logos, and actual design experience).

I had been giving up on anything except for UI improvements in LO until recently when they fixed a 15 year old bug in LO Calc that was absolutely block LO Calc from use for university level engineering classes (the “Solver Bug”).

1. Word Processing & Spreadsheets
    1. LibreOffice
    2. LibreOffice Calc
2. PDF & Scanning
    1. PDF Chain
    2. Simple Scan
    3. Document Viewer (Xreader, Evince)
    4. Xournal
3. Mailing
    1. Glabel
    2. DYMO Twin Turbo
4. Office Basics
    1. Calendar
    2. Calculator
5. Document/Image/Do-all Editing 
    1. GIMP
    2. LibreOffice Draw
6. Photo Editing
    1. RawTherapee
7. Presentations
    1. LibreOffice Impress
8. Web Browsing
    1. Firefox
    2. Chromium
9. Sound Editing
    1. Audacity
    2. Ardour
    3. VLC
10.  General Computing
    1. Gparted

I use some non-opensource tools that I do not think I will share as I already feel somewhat nervous sharing that kind of information. I hope that helps somebody.

3 Likes

Well, I think this thread could benefit from such discretion, so I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

1 Like

I don’t think that really counts as “document editing”. You might as well add “emacs” (or another text editor) since it could be used to edit the raw PDF file too.

Did you mean “Xournal” (no J)?

1 Like

Yes, post modified.

1 Like
  1. Enterprise Architecture Design (TOGAF)
    1. Archi The Open Source modelling toolkit for creating ArchiMate models and sketches.

It’s my favorite toolkit. Below an (old) example:

2 Likes

Most of those examples I’m seeing that you’ve made in Apple thingy look like vector graphics. I’d use Inkscape to make similar things.

3 Likes