PureOS Codename Questions

Hello all Purism community! This is my first day in Purism forum.

I kindly ask for your answers:

1. How is codename scheme of PureOS?

2. What are “Prometheus” and then “Hephaestus” as we see thoughout time on pureos.net front page?

3. What are “amber”, “byzantium”, “green” as we see in sources.list?

4. Are names in (2) codenames for ISO images while names in (3) codenames for releases?

5. Where is link that explains these stuffs? For example, Ubuntu is very clear about this, Trisquel is also [clear](see Wikipedia).

6. What is lifespan of every release or every “Hephasteus”-like naming? For example, Ubuntu is normally changing its name every 9 month (but once 2 years for the LTS editions).

I have difficulties figuring out these topics after I read Wikipedia, puri.sm website, pureos website, and also doing search in this forum. I am an author and currently writing short review about PureOS so I want to be precise in the naming. Please give me explanations. Thanks in advance and I really admire works of you all Purism people.

1 Like

Here is a suggestion, when they get to the letter “T”: The Torquemada release!

The main purpose of that release will be to root out FOSS and FLOSS heresies!

(No one expects the Spanisn Inquisition!)

1 Like

Hello tracy. Thanks for your concern, but I do not see relation between your answer and my question. Could you please elaborate more?

No concern at all, it is pure humor.

You need to be at least 60 years old to appreciate the references.

2 Likes

The posts tagged PureOS should prove helpful.
Especially the latest on mobile PureOS, but also the rolling stable of last September.

Repos: Green was the old stable, I think it no longer exists. That should now be amber.

If the codenames actually make sense, then they probably change it whenever the Debian version changes that PureOS is based on. That’s currently Buster.

1 Like

Funny, Buster was the nickname of the suite of software my military tech buddies would use when they needed to sanitize PCs for disposal or transfer.

2 Likes

or was it the “ex-wife” ? LOL

Repos: Green was the old stable, I think it no longer exists. That should now be amber.

Thank you @Caliga.

whenever the Debian version changes that PureOS is based on. That’s currently Buster.

Makes sense, @Caliga. Is there an official reference about this?

Hi!

Our community is awesome so you have some good answers already, I’ll provide my official answers here FWIW;

How is codename scheme of PureOS?

Officially we use color names in alphabetical order.

1. A = Amber = Stable
  2. B = Byzantium = Rolling release.

What are “Prometheus” and then “Hephaestus” as we see thoughout time on pureos.net front page?

These are just fun code names. They are the names of Greek gods from Mythology.

They are the actual code names for our releases. It’s an easy to remember shorthand. (See above.)

Are names in (2) codenames for ISO images while names in (3) codenames for releases?
Yes.

We should create a more detailed page. I’ll take that as a “To do” item.

Amber is, well, frozen in Amber aside from updates and fixes. It doesn’t really change. Byzantium is a rolling release. They don’t really have a planned lifespan or end-of-life yet. Amber probably has a two year span until its EoL but we don’t have a formal proposal for that.

4 Likes

I think I’ve found the bug. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber#/media/File:Amber2.jpg

2 Likes

That is so Jurassic Park :smiley:

1 Like

Officially we use color names in alphabetical order.

A = Amber = Stable
B = Byzantium = Rolling release.

Thank you very much, jeremiah. This made me want to research more about Purism. My apologizes for replying too late.

1 Like

Byzantium is rolling nicely … updates each day :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wonder if the next release will keep the naming convention of fallen empires?

(Which one would be next that starts with the letter “C” ?)

Carthago delenda est

2 Likes

I was just thinking of Carthage as I walked down the hall.

Wikipedia to the rescue
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_empires (mostly fallen ones)
My favourite is Commonwealth [of England]

1 Like

@tracy I’m hoping that that was a joke: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantium_(color)

Carmine, Cerise, Cerulean, Champagne, Charcoal, Chartreuse, Chocolate, …

Why would it be a joke? Byzantium was the Roman Empire before it was a color. (Which I never heard it as a color until now.)

But then wondered about Amber. I guess it wasn’t Zelazny’s sci fi world then.

2 Likes

Because a Purism employee specifically says above: Officially we use color names in alphabetical order.

Because before there was Byzantium, there was Green. Maybe you can find an empire for “Green”, fictional or otherwise. :wink:

1 Like