pureOS updates?

sudo apt install cups
Should do the trick😐

1 Like

missing destination file operand after ‘cups’.

Im guessing it didnt install.

It was I imagine intended to be sudo apt install cups

It returns ‘cups is already on the newest version’.
Is there a way to downgrade it?

I have had issues with more recent cups versions where things like choice of paper tray and paper size was handled differently (compared to older cups where defaults worked). At least in some cases I was able to make printing work by making certain choices, such as selecting “auto” for paper tray and/or selecting a particular paper size, or “auto” there too, or the other way around, anyway fiddling around with those settings.

It is, for me, always annoying that there seems to never be any decent error handling when it comes to printing. If anyone knows how to debug printing issues in a meaningful way (such as getting an actual error message or even a log showing in more detail what happened), please share how to do that!

The driver in POS 9 is Gutenprint or something, in POS 10 its Foobar. So how can I get gutenprint to be the driver thats installed?
I bought tons of ink for my printer and i dont really want to be buying a new printer, because, that is sooo Windows!!

Yes. sorry, missed that

I think printers are inherently write-only as far as the host is concerned. So it is difficult to get any error back from the printer. Some printers will print an error on the paper itself.

Sometimes when I stuff up and set the quality / resolution to something that is not supported (not supported somewhere in the software stack) I do get an error in syslog. (This is all HP though, so may not help the OP much with a Canon printer.)

Printing has always come in two pieces (either of which can fail):

• Converting the document into a “language” that the printer understands.
  • Communicating the result of the conversion to the printer.

Maybe see whether there is any discussion on the internet of any known problems with the new driver and a Canon printer (or your specific model of printer). Sometimes it is better to go forwards rather than backwards.

1 Like

Isnt PureOS locked though? So non free software cant be run on it? I say this because Ive soent a few hours trying to get it going by researching Debian 11. There is a gutenprint software package in the snapd repository but it wont install on POS. Ive added the snapd to pureos software application but it doesnt help. Looks like im gonna have to go back to windows.

PureOS isn’t locked and won’t prevent you from running any software by any technical means. It’s made without non-free and its repos do not come with non-free software, sure, but that’s not a measure of locking or prevention.

I’m not sure what snapd has to do with this whole thing either, that’s another package management technology which is mostly included with Ubuntu. I’ve never heard of anyone willingly installing it on Debian :dotted_line_face:

1 Like

Is this by any chance *foomatic* ?

You might consider exploring other Linux distros first. What happens if you just live boot the latest Ubuntu release?

Ummm yes foomatic. Foobar must be my brains interpretation of thestruggle to get the printer going.

The whole reason to use pureos is it doesnt report home. Ubuntu does in some situations so if I cant have an OS that is pure then I might as well not bother at all.

I cant stand when OSs update and junk our perfectly good hardware. It should be made a crime to not support stuff that works. Forcing it into landfill. All while the climate emergengy is going to destroy all of us! (Sic)

Not so. I only said “live boot” it (not install it for use). If it works with your printer then you can ask it what package version(s) are in use - so it would give you guidance as to what might work on PureOS.

I have ubuntu on an nvme drive. I installed it as a development system for lineageos but never got round to using it. Dont i just need to go from foomatic to gutenprint. I dont get why debian has changed it.

As I already opined, sometimes it is better to go forwards rather than backwards.

To elaborate on that, yes, maybe that can be made to work … for a while … but at the end of the day if a distro changes from one way of doing things to another way and you are fighting the distro trying to use something that they have ditched, it can in the longer term mean that it just can’t be made to work any more … unless you yourself decide to take over maintenance of various relevant packages.

This is probably the wrong forum to get insight into that decision. There are lots of reasons why, in the general case, this kind of decision is made but I have no information as to what applies to this specific decision.

@irvinewade Really? How does someone get access to Crimson?

ARM or x86?

Both actually. I have an L5 and an L15. I’m more interested for the L15 right now.

So for x86 …

The crimson repo is there now. I have no idea whether it will successfully upgrade from byzantium to crimson.

The crimson .iso is there now.

(Librem 11 tablets are shipping with crimson pre-installed now.)

It should go without saying that if you are thinking of putting crimson on your Librem 15

• you have a bootable Live Boot USB, and
  • you have a suitable backup of the current contents which you know how to restore if you have to

and of course since you would be on the bleeding edge, you would have a Plan B.

I would guess that if you have a spare external disk, it may also be an option to install fresh on the external disk - as a way of testing things out.

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah, your points all make sense. What I was thinking of also. Hadn’t thought of the spare external disk though. That is a good idea.

It’s nice to see work is happening on Crimson. Just wish it would be faster, but I also know resources are tight.