PureOS Crimson (Debian 12) on Librem 15 / Librem 13 (x86-64)

Hello,

am currently running PureOS 10.3 (Byzantium) on my Librem 15v3. Have been following the PureOS updates (here) and now see that Crimson (based on Debian 12) is available.

I read that Librem 11 (armx86-64) is shipping with Crimson pre-installed.

Someone here is running Crimson x86-64 on a USB drive, but not sure which device they are using. Someone here is using on a desktop.

However, many of the issues being raised, and discouraging upgrades, are related to the Libram 5 (arm), and I understand that the delays in the release of PureOS Crimson are due to the fact that it needs support two architectures.

Is anyone running Crimson on a Librem 15 or 13? If so I assume these instructions are applicable to upgrade from Byzantium to Crimson by replacing the version names.

1 Like

Librem 14 v1, although I just reflashed the USB drive with Byzantium as well: I was experiencing random freezes on Crimson when attempting to reflash my Librem 5 USA.

2 Likes

thanks for the quick reply. good to know.

1 Like

NB: Librem 11 is x86_64, not ARM.

3 Likes

Not sure it constitutes a “delay” per se, but in the case of the Librem 5, I think they have posted that it requires more development because it has the added complexity of mobile functionalities, not applicable to the desktop version.

3 Likes

Sure, I mean delay as per the Amber/Byzantium releases which seemed relatively faster when they did not have the LIbrem 5 to contend with.

I guess things will speed up once more arm devices run on Debian-based linux flavours and more people contribute to the project.

2 Likes

Ah yes, my bad. I am so used to seeing tablets running on arm processors that I automatically made the connection :slight_smile:

1 Like