Purism Launches Librem 14, Successor to Security-focused Librem 13 Product Line

Besides other methods, for safety reasons, I always start with:
$ sudo fdisk -l
Pick up my drive, to make sure this is the one I need to work with:
$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/NVMe_PRO
Proceed when sure, run the intended command(s):
$ sudo hdparm -t /dev/NVMe_PRO

P.S. M2E1BMU31C with ASM2362 might be cheaper if bought in Europe, but this Super Early Bird looks tempting (to me).

Hi,

I am also looking into buying one of your laptops and while luckily (and hopefully :wink: ) the keyboard layout will not be an issue with the Librem 5 Evergreen version I am eagerly awaiting, it is an issue when it comes to the new desktop replacement I am looking for. Even more so as this laptop will be a lot more expensive than comparable Clevo barebone-based “Linux-laptops” sold by competitors.

Privacy is important but it doesn’t make much sense to buy a product that I can’t use efficiently in my environment.

Because of this, it would be great if you could let us know whether and how you would like to collect the info regarding demands for specific keyboard layouts ?

3 Likes

@Quarnero and everybody interested

i started a new thread

https://forums.puri.sm/t/g-disks-benchmark-partition-linux-5-4-0-40-nvme-pcie3x4-m2-s970pro512gb/9619/1

Is there a any change that we get a US international keyboard with the Librem 14 instead of only a US one? That way you could give other regions the possibility to buy a new Librem 14. I need the characters öäü please! I don’t want to copy it from the browser any more. :slight_smile:

Does any one know how big the keyboard keys will be for the Librem 14? 14x14 mm ? Unless we get a US International keyboard I need to install a keyboard overlay. I am really excited for the new laptop.

You should at least enable the compose sequence. öäü. Easy.

On my computer, “compose” is “right-alt”. So press and release right-alt, press and release ‘o’, press and release " (as shift-’).

1 Like

Regarding keyboard layout… Even if other layouts might appear later, could you consider either making available in the shop sets of vinyl keyboard overlay stickers or at least make pdf(s) for printing them? Correct size and shape, correct mat/glossyness, correct font, correct positioning etc. would be easiest coming from Purism, of course…

1 Like

Small request: Now that the Librem 13 is no longer offered for sale, I note that it has been removed from the “products” page. Would it be possible to have a link on that page to a page for obsolete / end-of-life products with their final specifications?

1 Like

The US international keyboard uses the same key layout as the US keyboard, so there is no difference in the hardware. You can switch from US to US international keyboards in GNOME Shell.

Or are you thinking of some other keyboard layout?

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I need a German layout, but I will use the US international layout with some stickers for extra characters I think.

Hi Kyle, can I ask if there is any schedule for the Librem 15 version 4 to also have a successor/replacement? I seem to recall having seen somewhere that there might be a Librem 15 Version 5 coming out later in the year. Is that correct? Appreciate any feedback. Thanks Kyle.

1 Like

I see more people would like to have some kind of European keyboard layout. For me it is not big deal.

But I would appreciate EU based support/warranty service and shipping. Dealing with customs can be … time consuming, complicated, etc. It’s main thing I would warn people when recommending Librem 14.

Going through the ordering process, the following warning appears:

the customer is responsible for customs clearing/duties, and local taxation. International shipments may be subject to customs processing and additional charges, customs policies vary from country to country, therefore you should contact your local customs office for more information. When customs clearance procedures are required, it can cause delays in arrival.

Many people can attest to the accuracy of the above (talking about imports in general, not specifically from Purism). There is only so much that any company can do about it. If Purism had enough EU sales to justify handling as much of the above itself as it could then that would be a good problem to have.

I remember buying from a US company where it was the transport company (FedEx I think) who was dealing with customs. So at payment time on the website, I could see the price of the product and the delivery price including the customs fees, so I could see the final total price directly and not have to deal with customs myself.

1 Like

That can be an option … but you will probably pay for that, directly or indirectly. There’s no free lunch.

1 Like

Last February @nicole.faerber said where preorders of L5 came from: 40% USA, 40% EU, 20% rest of the world.
Market distribution for laptops is different, anyway EU should always be in the second position after USA.

2 Likes

@kieran, please calm down, we understand your firm ground approach! Anyway, @Honza was requesting, kind of, one or simply one EU trusted point of purchase that automatically, sort of, takes responsibility for all “EU based support/warranty service and shipping” (and able to cover most of simple local language and/or English language requests, replacements, etc). I think I know one very fine Linux laptop company in Spain, few of them in Germany, etc. so I do not need to look forward, somewhere overseas, if I might expect to get headache if any of potential issues arise. And yes we understand that international logistics are doing very complex job, that they need to earn money too, that they are professionals, that we are able to track our overseas deliveries, but perhaps, a lot of people just don’t want to be bothered with such behind the scene work (and not something that you would like to recommend to someone that you care of, simply because there is smell of something unknown to them), trust me, they want to have more transparency. Perhaps is at plain American English hard to understand that EU customers would like (appreciate) to have one shop, meaning one address to contact, that is located within EU borders, punkt. L5v1 and L14v1 are so very fine products that nobody can buy them in Europe, because they are handmade (HW/SW proofed/finalized for sure) somewhere else, if I’m right. And, this time it is not necessary to correct/interpret what Honza wrote as you, nether I, know if he is offering, perhaps, his facilities within EU to Harley-Davidson or to Purism. Or at least I understood his post here as helping hand and not as something that bothers me.

If things are easy to organize or not, we don’t know, but if small smartphone company from Switzerland knows how to reach EU customer: "Deliveries with a destination in countries belonging to the European Union are provided by Punkt.’s EU representative: … ", explain to them (provide details) how this/things work, as @LJD already wanted to say in his plain text (explanation) post, I guess. And, why should Honza provide any information to someone that don’t want to understand Purism delivery politics (read none, but only if you like such taste), make things up front untrustworthy (from EU customers’ point of view on purchases that he or she is accustomed to) or doubtful, as they actually are (at the moment). Please allow me this free kind of translation (from another perspective or just flag this post): “You (postal service will make this kind of “favor” for you) should inform your customs and VAT authorities that you are about to receive product that is not intended to be sold within EU”. Is this called privacy (within EU)? I don’t think so.

2 Likes

I’m happy to announce we are now confident enough that we can fit two SO-DIMM slots into the Librem 14 that we have updated the specs. You can read more in our Librem 14 Launch FAQ we just published:

Q: How many RAM slots are there?
A: Two. There is a small chance during final mechanical design testing that we have to drop back to one, but we are confident from our early MD testing it will work so are offering two RAM slots, up to 64GB of RAM.

11 Likes

is it also dual channel RAM ? or just 2 slots with a single channel config ?

1 Like

Should be dual channel, as to my understanding there’s quite a performance boost to be had there.

6 Likes