Purism Launches Librem 14, Successor to Security-focused Librem 13 Product Line

Going through the ordering process, the following warning appears:

the customer is responsible for customs clearing/duties, and local taxation. International shipments may be subject to customs processing and additional charges, customs policies vary from country to country, therefore you should contact your local customs office for more information. When customs clearance procedures are required, it can cause delays in arrival.

Many people can attest to the accuracy of the above (talking about imports in general, not specifically from Purism). There is only so much that any company can do about it. If Purism had enough EU sales to justify handling as much of the above itself as it could then that would be a good problem to have.

I remember buying from a US company where it was the transport company (FedEx I think) who was dealing with customs. So at payment time on the website, I could see the price of the product and the delivery price including the customs fees, so I could see the final total price directly and not have to deal with customs myself.

1 Like

That can be an option … but you will probably pay for that, directly or indirectly. There’s no free lunch.

1 Like

Last February @nicole.faerber said where preorders of L5 came from: 40% USA, 40% EU, 20% rest of the world.
Market distribution for laptops is different, anyway EU should always be in the second position after USA.

2 Likes

@kieran, please calm down, we understand your firm ground approach! Anyway, @Honza was requesting, kind of, one or simply one EU trusted point of purchase that automatically, sort of, takes responsibility for all “EU based support/warranty service and shipping” (and able to cover most of simple local language and/or English language requests, replacements, etc). I think I know one very fine Linux laptop company in Spain, few of them in Germany, etc. so I do not need to look forward, somewhere overseas, if I might expect to get headache if any of potential issues arise. And yes we understand that international logistics are doing very complex job, that they need to earn money too, that they are professionals, that we are able to track our overseas deliveries, but perhaps, a lot of people just don’t want to be bothered with such behind the scene work (and not something that you would like to recommend to someone that you care of, simply because there is smell of something unknown to them), trust me, they want to have more transparency. Perhaps is at plain American English hard to understand that EU customers would like (appreciate) to have one shop, meaning one address to contact, that is located within EU borders, punkt. L5v1 and L14v1 are so very fine products that nobody can buy them in Europe, because they are handmade (HW/SW proofed/finalized for sure) somewhere else, if I’m right. And, this time it is not necessary to correct/interpret what Honza wrote as you, nether I, know if he is offering, perhaps, his facilities within EU to Harley-Davidson or to Purism. Or at least I understood his post here as helping hand and not as something that bothers me.

If things are easy to organize or not, we don’t know, but if small smartphone company from Switzerland knows how to reach EU customer: "Deliveries with a destination in countries belonging to the European Union are provided by Punkt.’s EU representative: … ", explain to them (provide details) how this/things work, as @LJD already wanted to say in his plain text (explanation) post, I guess. And, why should Honza provide any information to someone that don’t want to understand Purism delivery politics (read none, but only if you like such taste), make things up front untrustworthy (from EU customers’ point of view on purchases that he or she is accustomed to) or doubtful, as they actually are (at the moment). Please allow me this free kind of translation (from another perspective or just flag this post): “You (postal service will make this kind of “favor” for you) should inform your customs and VAT authorities that you are about to receive product that is not intended to be sold within EU”. Is this called privacy (within EU)? I don’t think so.

2 Likes

I’m happy to announce we are now confident enough that we can fit two SO-DIMM slots into the Librem 14 that we have updated the specs. You can read more in our Librem 14 Launch FAQ we just published:

Q: How many RAM slots are there?
A: Two. There is a small chance during final mechanical design testing that we have to drop back to one, but we are confident from our early MD testing it will work so are offering two RAM slots, up to 64GB of RAM.

11 Likes

is it also dual channel RAM ? or just 2 slots with a single channel config ?

1 Like

Should be dual channel, as to my understanding there’s quite a performance boost to be had there.

6 Likes

that’s good to know. indeed the performance should be a significant upgrade compared to the last 13v4 …

1 Like

Are orders able to be upgraded in light of this new option?

Also if 32gb was ordered will that now be 2 16gb sticks to take advantage of the dual channel now possible?

Excellent news and thanks for sharing!

1 Like

For existing orders, the default will be for a single stick, but you can contact ops@puri.sm and work out the details on how to change your order. I believe 2 sticks are a bit more expensive than a single stick.

1 Like

Which sticks are installed defaulty?

one more option

• use a projection virtual keyboard

then the keyboard face of the laptop just has to be a plain white surface.

Example existing device: https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Projection-Virtual-Bluetooth-Keyboard/dp/B00LFJBP0Y

BUT with the intention that it is

a) integrated within the laptop (and hence not separate and wireless and battery powered), and
b) completely customisable (I get the impression that existing devices on the market only do one layout).

2x4GB costs $9.00 more than 1x8GB
2x8GB costs $10.00 more than 1x16GB
2x16GB costs $10.00 more than 1x32GB

1 Like

@Julie21 welcome in this forum!
Basic configuration of L14 is with 1x8GB.

1 Like

I7-10710U supports 2666MHz DDR4 memory. Should we expect that L14 would support/come with 2666MHz memory?

It will support 2666Mhz RAM (along with a range of frequencies) but we don’t explicitly state or guarantee which exact RAM modules we will include in a particular order (outside of capacity) because it varies over time based on availability.

I started a poll regarding demand of keyboard-layouts: Poll: Keyboad-Layout Librem 14

2 Likes

FWIW I’m glad existing orders will use a single stick. Since I ordered the 32GB version, I can just purchase a separate 32GB stick to max out the device. If it shipped with 2 sticks then I’d end up having to replace them both.

This machine looks definitely interesting. How long will the Librem 14v1 be available for the special pre-order price?

1 Like