Purism Launches Librem 14, Successor to Security-focused Librem 13 Product Line

Thanks, I didn’t know that page existed.
SATA M.2 is half a GB/s.
NVMe M.2 is 3 GB/s read and 2/3 that for write.
The Pro has both read and write speeds above 3 GB/s and lasts longer for enterprise.

2 Likes

So on your NVMe PRO 3D MLC-based disk average write rate is 614,5 MB/s (128 samples), coming from your current PCIe Gen3(?) motherboard. Isn’t this going to change with the new one? L14 is going to support PCIe® Gen4 NVMe™ SSD controller for sure :thinking:, or not? Or at least have NVMe PCIe Gen3 ×4 M.2 connectors onboard, if not there already? I just want to be informed of what generation the PCIe slot will be there (to probably avoid getting ×2 in Q4, 2020).

@reC, thanks anyway! In addition, could you please post output from: $ sudo hdparm -tT /dev/NVMe_PRO (nvme0nX), just for general comparison, hoping that with L14 sequential write speed max. might eventually result in something closer to 2,700 MB/s. As, for example, brand new NVMe PRO PCIe 4.0-based M.2 SSD is promised to be able to manage data with r/w speeds of up to 6,500/5,000MB/s.

And, not to forget, another official/important: “Stay Tuned” link is here:

1 Like

unfortunately the CPU used in the new Librem 14 does not support PCIe Gen4 so the highest level might be PCIe 3x4 for the NVME Interface.

But I think there is still some gain to be had by installing a PCIe Gen4 NVME into a PCIe Gen3 Port since the Storage Driver on the NVME SSD is designed for more transfer-rate and might use the PCIe Gen3 Lines to their max data-rate.

1 Like

Thanks @Manuel, appreciate! I’m not lost any more.

thank you for asking !

since i’m not familiar with this command could you maybe explain what you expect this command to reveal ?

note that marketing jargon is - sometimes, if not most of the time - intended to confuse people so that products can’t be criticized post-market …

also note that the marketing BS states that the Read and Writes are coalesced into the total bandwidth so it’s entirely possible to get lower ACTUAL rates than the ones EXPECTED …

however look at the average access time - it is IMO one of THE reasons why a boot drive is so fast with nvme compared to other SSDs/HDDs …

yes my desktop mother-board is capable of pcie gen 4 but the 970 pro is only pcie 3 x4 max …

higher “sample size” (MiB) MIGHT be able to give better seq write speed at the cost of a longer benchmark time … want me to try it out ?

I do think this laptop will work with Windows 10 out of the box though. Of course we’ll see.

1 Like

That was my point, same as yours, getting real R/W speeds of your own personal computer configuration, by installing hdparm and not relying on max. manufacturer’s numbers blindly as they depend on your computer CPU + type of PCIe M.2 connector, IMO. Your proposal to use GNOME Disks impressed me, as result was in real numbers/data terms and therefore appreciated from my side. And therefore, I just wanted to propose to look at hdparm from CLI output, to compare, nothing else. Repeated results might differ, yet they should stay with you (it was just another recommendation, similar if not the same).

Another point of mine was that dreaming of putting most expensive PCIe Gen4 NVMe SSD on poor motherboard configuration, in short, will not help much either. Third point was that by choosing expensive variant of 3D MLC-based NAND someone like you knows it is investment into long term reliance. But also, just having relatively small SATA MLC memory based SSD for my /home partition on second M.2 slot might be relevant option to invest into, if type of memory known. If customer is not having feeling of being king, right to play with more options than seller/manufacturer might fail to find broader pre-order audience, even though that this have nothing to do with my own point of view. Or should I invest in something that is nice to have, but doesn’t serve the intended purpose (buying more food than I can eat or other way around)?

thank you for clarifying … it’s less confusing now … i’m quite reluctant to run CLI commands that i’m not familiar with in my BASH terminal for obvious reasons but now i think i’ll give it a try.

on my next visit i’ll post some screen-grabs with higher sample size and the same with a similar 970pro running in an external m2 to usb3(10gb/s) enclosure.

damn ! ShanSung needs to pay up for this plug …

2 Likes

Besides other methods, for safety reasons, I always start with:
$ sudo fdisk -l
Pick up my drive, to make sure this is the one I need to work with:
$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/NVMe_PRO
Proceed when sure, run the intended command(s):
$ sudo hdparm -t /dev/NVMe_PRO

P.S. M2E1BMU31C with ASM2362 might be cheaper if bought in Europe, but this Super Early Bird looks tempting (to me).

Hi,

I am also looking into buying one of your laptops and while luckily (and hopefully :wink: ) the keyboard layout will not be an issue with the Librem 5 Evergreen version I am eagerly awaiting, it is an issue when it comes to the new desktop replacement I am looking for. Even more so as this laptop will be a lot more expensive than comparable Clevo barebone-based “Linux-laptops” sold by competitors.

Privacy is important but it doesn’t make much sense to buy a product that I can’t use efficiently in my environment.

Because of this, it would be great if you could let us know whether and how you would like to collect the info regarding demands for specific keyboard layouts ?

3 Likes

@Quarnero and everybody interested

i started a new thread

https://forums.puri.sm/t/g-disks-benchmark-partition-linux-5-4-0-40-nvme-pcie3x4-m2-s970pro512gb/9619/1

Is there a any change that we get a US international keyboard with the Librem 14 instead of only a US one? That way you could give other regions the possibility to buy a new Librem 14. I need the characters öäü please! I don’t want to copy it from the browser any more. :slight_smile:

Does any one know how big the keyboard keys will be for the Librem 14? 14x14 mm ? Unless we get a US International keyboard I need to install a keyboard overlay. I am really excited for the new laptop.

You should at least enable the compose sequence. öäü. Easy.

On my computer, “compose” is “right-alt”. So press and release right-alt, press and release ‘o’, press and release " (as shift-’).

1 Like

Regarding keyboard layout… Even if other layouts might appear later, could you consider either making available in the shop sets of vinyl keyboard overlay stickers or at least make pdf(s) for printing them? Correct size and shape, correct mat/glossyness, correct font, correct positioning etc. would be easiest coming from Purism, of course…

1 Like

Small request: Now that the Librem 13 is no longer offered for sale, I note that it has been removed from the “products” page. Would it be possible to have a link on that page to a page for obsolete / end-of-life products with their final specifications?

1 Like

The US international keyboard uses the same key layout as the US keyboard, so there is no difference in the hardware. You can switch from US to US international keyboards in GNOME Shell.

Or are you thinking of some other keyboard layout?

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I need a German layout, but I will use the US international layout with some stickers for extra characters I think.

Hi Kyle, can I ask if there is any schedule for the Librem 15 version 4 to also have a successor/replacement? I seem to recall having seen somewhere that there might be a Librem 15 Version 5 coming out later in the year. Is that correct? Appreciate any feedback. Thanks Kyle.

1 Like

I see more people would like to have some kind of European keyboard layout. For me it is not big deal.

But I would appreciate EU based support/warranty service and shipping. Dealing with customs can be … time consuming, complicated, etc. It’s main thing I would warn people when recommending Librem 14.