Questions about Dogwood and phone calls

Maybe it’s just radiowave harmonics, then it could be the carrier’s problem. Does it go away when you’re in another area?

Or maybe the echo is just NSA’s repeater after they’ve retransmitted your call back to their servers? (Did they forgot to fit a feedback diode?)

[Edit to add comment on delay length.]

Tele2, Sweden. Had no issues with them using other phones.

Ah, forgot about GPRS… But nowadays that would be about the same as no data connection :wink:

Thanks for the explanation. I’ll investigate, but I do doubt there would be no 3G signal.

That’s excellent news! (I didn’t mean to start a support issue in a forum thread, but I guess it’s good more people get to see it anyway.)

The delay is so long, that it doesn’t disturb the conversation the way a short delay does. It’s annoying, for sure, but at least you don’t get interrupted by yourself 100 ms after you started talking :wink:

That terse post left out important information. So, while I think you’re right, in this case it doesn’t help. Switching to HFP/HSP drowns my ears in deafening noise. No conversation can be heard through that. Perhaps not what you referred to, but atrocious describes it well…

BTW, this issue - like so many other - is being worked on. We may be worried about not getting enough official news from the trenches, but Purism are hard at work and things improve.

4 Likes

I’m a bit busy, but I’ll check in regularly and try to respond to questions. Please be patient :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, when I said atrocious I didn’t mean “I am an audiophile and it sounds bad” but actually mean that it sounds horrible.

I just found a PR fixing this. There implementation is quite controversial however as it removes a feature (ofono) to be able to easily implement this new feature.

It’s not Purism who has made the PR, but I can see a comment from a Purism employee in the discussion so they do seem to track it at least.

1 Like

Anyone with a Dogwood and the new battery and a caliper: can you measure the physical specs of it: height, width, length and placement and size of contacts? Pics? I’m looking at chargers…

Let me add to JF-Ri’s request for Dogwood owners. Please measure the weight and the dimensions of Dogwood.

Chestnut weighed 230g and measured 150 x 75 x 15.5 mm, and I would like to know if anything has changed in Dogwood for the Comparing specs of upcoming Linux phones table.

CC: @lipu, @dos

1 Like

I added your cellular provider to the Community Wiki:

Please add info there if you know what bands you have tested.

1 Like

Can’t find my caliper right now, but using a ruler yields “the same” measurements as for Chestnut. I’d say any changes are pretty small.

The phone weighs 240 g, out of which 62 g is the battery alone.

4 Likes

I will, if I get around to do more specific testing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great. I added that info.

10 g more weight is the tradeoff of having a bigger battery. I love the idea of a modular phone and using separate components, but the L5 isn’t going to win any fashion awards.

1 Like

Are the battery measurements somewhere? And the contacts on them?

Pssst. Measure three Triple A’s. (Humor.)

Caution though, it was specifically stated that Evergreen will be 3 mm longer than Dogwood: Blog Post: Librem 5 Evergreen Update: Mold and Milestones

3 Likes

As viewed from the back side of the phone:
Battery measures 57.2(w) x 51.5 x 10.5 mm.

Contacts are located centered left/right and at the bottom of the top narrow side of the battery. There are three of them and they occupy an area approx. 4 mm high and 6 mm wide. Polarity is - to the left, + to the right.

(Sorry for taking almost a month to reply.)

2 Likes

@Tracy: AAA size is 44.2 mm length, and 10.2 mm diameter. You could fit five of those, and still have a wiggle room for a contact adapter and a charger chip. Cheers! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

One of us should take a pic with them duct taped together on the back and post it as if it were real. (We can wait for April Fool’s day.)

3 Likes

I think, 4 would be more realistic, as you need some room for a bracket to hold them (as I expect you want to be able to change them without using tape). A special back-plate could be made to allow access to the battery compartment without removing the whole back (bracket could be part of it - 3D print as one). It’s nice that the size allows it… almost like it was planned… :thinking:

And about that picture… You mean like this?

Thanks @lipu - it’s not like we don’t have a month and a half to kill (at least)…

2 Likes

I don’t know if this has been discussed elsewhere yet, but with no voLTE capability, that means that in the U.S., the phone won’t work on T-Mobile as of January 2021, or on AT&T as of February 2022, right? Verizon already requires voLTE/HD voice, so it’s out of the picture, too.

Edit: And T-Mobile has already started disallowing any non-voLTE new activations on its network (since August).

How is that in Europe? I can’t find any mention of a voLTE capabilty being required over here.
If such a restriction would exist, this would be pretty serious - as in leaving the L5 dead in the water.

Any thoughts on this from the Purism offices?

Exactly, that’s the picture I was hoping for!