[MyL5] Received my Librem 5 (Evergreen)

Worry not, prediction is the nearest big feature on the road map.

8 Likes

For my Pinephone under Mobian, I made a simple script that uses rsync. It’s launched by a systemd timer rather than cron, therefore it runs within 5 minutes of booting and runs daily as well.

I can share it on GitHub or somewhere if there’s interest although it’s nothing special at all

3 Likes

I searched for sources of information. This is what I found so far. Information is doubled sometimes and a bit unclear to me where to search for which information:

Where would you suggest to conserve all those information most likely appearing redundant in forum questions in the future?
How could we as a community support in this activity, being able to guide users when answering to the according information? (Contributor role?)
Maybe also interesting question(s) for you @mladen and @david.boddie in your roles at Purism.

Maybe luckyBackup will work (it’s Linux after all). It also makes a crontab rsync script for regular resyncs.

I would say that a lot of the tips and tricks should go in the Community wiki. There was talk about using a “proper” wiki instead of that one, but anything that is written there can be moved later.

1 Like

Have requested access to the community wiki and will add it there when possible!

In the meantime, here’s what I will write on the wiki more or less:

I have a simple script, ~/.local/bin/backup.sh:

#!/usr/bin/env sh

cd /home/mobian
rsync -a --delete . USER@SYSTEM:/path/to/backup/mobian --exclude=.cache

A service file, ~/.config/systemd/user/backup.service

[Unit]
Description="A script to backup home dir"

[Service]
ExecStart=/home/mobian/.local/bin/backup.sh

And a timer file, ~/.config/systemd/user/backup.timer

[Unit]
Description=Run backup daily and on boot

[Timer]
OnBootSec=5min
OnUnitActiveSec=1d
Unit=backup.service

[Install]
WantedBy=timers.target

Activated with:

systemctl --user daemon
systemctl --user enable backup.timer

And tested with

systemctl --user start backup.service

Verify logs with

journalctl --user -u backup.service

It will output something like:

-- Logs begin at Fri 2020-10-16 06:48:42 JST, end at Sat 2020-11-21 22:18:09 JST. --
Nov 21 22:18:09 eyes systemd[494]: Started "A script to backup home dir".
3 Likes

RE: Charging
I’ve noticed that the red charging light goes out when the battery gets to about 70% charge.

From early morning to about early evening, that charge drains to approximately 25-30%, constantly on wifi, with me frequently playing around with the phone (scrolling, installs, uninstalls, investigating all the app menus, checking the web, testing a couple of calls, sending a text or two, etc.), and idling.

Once suspend is implemented, I expect the battery life will improve a lot.

Edit: To clarify, I unplug the phone when the charging light goes out, so I haven’t attempted to charge it beyond the 70% range.

11 Likes

I started it here and briefly explored how to edit. More to come. Site is under construction.
@amarok: Would you also support here? Think you would be the ideal person, since you are ahead from all of us and experienced some knowledge gaps that have been filled during this thread. You can post your learnings here and I document them for all of us. Thank you in advance.

Sure, if I can. Also, everyone remember that the video walk-through covers a lot of stuff.

Battery fuel meter needs some adjustments for the percentage readings to be accurate: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/linux-next/-/merge_requests/198

Battery charger doesn’t use the fuel gauge readings and manages charging on its own, so when the light goes off you can assume that the battery is now full.

9 Likes

Cool… Thanks, Sebastian!

And actually, my battery indicator shows a higher reading this morning than usual, so I may be mistaken.

3 Likes

Hi amarok,

Firstly thanks for all the posts, I really appreciate them.

Are you a US customer? I’m keen to know if anyone from the UK has the L5 yet?

Also you said previously that cellular calls work but are muffled, are you aware of how this will be fixed?

I might wait until this issue is fixed as I would like calls to work out of the box.

Thanks in advance

LinuxNew

Yes, I’m in the US (California). Purism provided information on the phone call issue; it’s in the works. Please see the separate thread about that issue.
Happy to provide answers here… Cheers!
https://forums.puri.sm/t/evergreen-librem-caller-sounds-muffled-to-the-recipient/10900/7

6 Likes

Awesome thanks amarok :+1:

1 Like

Edit: Disregard…I need to do some research…

2 Likes

Closing in - I contributed 19 September 2017. But I’m in Europe so I suppose I have to wait a bit longer. But I hope for a happy Christmas (or Yuletide (juletid) as we say) ! That would be the perfect present and I do not need anything else. Probably I will have no time for anything else :-).

8 Likes

Did not see another thread so far, so I reply here. This is maybe interesting for you. Looks like automount is coming soon …

1 Like

@amarok, btw do you use Nextcloud? In case yes how does syncing (calender, contacts, files, etc.) work?

I don’t use it, nor any cloud service. I see that Nextcloud is listed in the L5’s Online Accounts settings.