Screen doesn't come on after power-on

Yes, it seems to happen randomly for me now. The problem disappeared for a while, though.

2 Likes

Does anyone know it there has been progress with fixing this problem?
The L5 cannot be considered reliable for an emergency call! Meaning … the battery won’t last that long so if shut down it takes sometimes as many as 5 times or so to start up.

Would be nice if it would be addressed in a timely manner!!

2 Likes

Agreed!!!

It’s time to have this bug resolved.

1 Like

Thats already fixed time ago, but not pushed to byzantium tree. However you can update LNX manually.

Purism is working to get more powersave in S2R and AM.

1 Like

Strangely, I don’t think that I have ever had this problem (after 3 years+ of use and across both amber and byzantium, the former without encryption, the latter with). I wonder what the difference is / what the trigger is.

Is it fixed in crimson (@carlosgonz ) and, if so, are you (@amarok) willing to flash crimson?

2 Likes

No, not until it’s ready, and I couldn’t even if I wanted to.

1 Like

This once happened to me after a quick and easy shutdown from the terminal (a bad idea). Your fix is easier than the one I used, although I don’t know if it will work in every case.

Later, I turned the phone on and when the display didn’t come up, I thought the phone was off. So I set it down and didn’t pick it up for a few weeks. By then, the battery was totally drained. After charging the battery for several days, it stayed dead. So I pulled the battery out, left the power plugged in, and booted the phone that way. With no competition between a very dead battery (a big electrical load) and the phone, the phone booted normally. Then while booted, I pushed the battery in, hoping that the intelligence in the phone would regulate the rate of battery charging. That worked. The phone stayed booted and eventually the battery took a full charge with no damage done.

2 Likes

It happens to me very often.
Then, out of the blue, booting is no problem. After a week or so, that bug is back.

3 Likes

@carlosgonz

Thats already fixed time ago, but not pushed to byzantium tree. However you can update LNX manually.
How can we do this?
Does it afect regular updates?

2 Likes

Just want to say: me too. I have experienced the same problem (for months). I power off my device every night to save energy (plus the security benefit). The next morning, I sometimes have to try 5 times to get the screen on.

2 Likes

I feel like I have never encountered this problem after a year of using L5 (~6 months L5, ~6 months Liberty Phone).

Is the difference that I try to keep battery charge above 40% as much as possible, and usually battery swap to an externally changed battery when it falls below 40%?

For the first several months I didn’t know to battery swap while plugged in and would frequently power off the device to so the swap, so its not as if I was avoiding on/off cycles.

1 Like

I do this religiously, too.

1 Like

I suspected this as well, but after keeping the L5 charged near 90%, I noticed that the boot issues where still there.

So now I drain the battery again before charching.

1 Like

@lakei

https://source.puri.sm/sebastian.krzyszkowiak/linux-next/-/jobs/435091/artifacts/download?file_type=archive

Install thats binaries and reboot
then sudo apt autoremove, sudo apt-mark hold linux*

Purism

2 Likes

My auto-warn level is set to 30% (and has in the past been set to 20%). And invariably the phone is going on charge after the first time it asks me to put it on charge i.e. with an even lower charge level.

So, as neither of us experiences the problem but we have different charging strategies relative to “40%”, I don’t think that’s the difference.

Other factors to consider:

• whether one uses suspend (I don’t or at least I haven’t enabled it myself)
  • Is there a firmware update for the touchscreen controller? (but it is not clear that that would affect the display itself) In any case I have not performed any update in respect of this firmware.
2 Likes

Thank you. When I’m back home I will test it and keep you updated.
Meanwhile I’m visitging your country. It is hot at the moment.
:hot_face:

1 Like

Thanks, but I don’t like to update the kernel to something I don’t fully understand (phone is my daily driver and I need it to work). I’ll wait until an official patch is released. Thanks anyway for thinking along!

2 Likes

In what part of the country are you that is hot?

2 Likes

Aragon: +30°C

1 Like

I guess that you are at @flanders51 country, like Aragon Spain. I am from Central America.

2 Likes