Screen doesn't come on after power-on

Hi Christal,
Thanks for your suggestion.
However, I use the software button (upper right corner) to switch off my L5 and I do not have bread crumbs on my finger while doing so :smile:
Iā€™m convinced that itā€™s a bug and Iā€™m sure it will be resolved. I just need to be patient.
Read my messages as a feedback to Purism (this message is linked to Issue 494).

1 Like

January 18 -

1. A new upgrade this morning
    175% display still reverts to 100%.

2. Start up behavior is still the same, push til green let goā€¦ no start. No green light holding same amount of time! Press again and count to 10-12 sec (approx) then press again produces green light ā€¦ hold til light goes off and release then screen keyboard opens.

1 Like

Is there a place to see progress / fixes applied to new kernels etc?

1 Like

Yesā€¦ power ON or Shut down, for me are the same. Physical One, no software. So i was talking about the Boot Process. But you and shopping4purism are right about the software one.

@ASwyD2
Buy a USB-C to USB Adapter, attach a Keyboard and try to free some Space on /boot
I think you got lost in an update Process and if you push the shout down Button before the update Script was finished ( or till not enough space on /boot), you have a chance to fix that loop. Otherwise get in touch with support or send back you phone. However i think you could flash your phone or have enough space during that update too.
On Linux you have that option to use a ttty prompt/Console to login with alt + ctrl + 1 (up to 9) to connect to your system, even if the graphical Desktop/Interface do not start properly - to fix things.
I think you have not enough free space on your boot, cause you apply updates and new Kernels on your Boot, without drop not used installations with apt - it tell you to run some command after update to free space, and remove obsolete packages.

2 Likes

Follow the various links in this blog post:

1 Like

Maybe Iā€™m lucky or maybe someting has changed
So far, booting the L5 went OK the last 2 weeks.
I do hope it will stay that way. :pray:

2 Likes

I knew it this would happen. After writing the message in this thread I have these booting issues again.
So nothing has changed.
I guess itā€™s back to the ā€˜waiting for a solutionā€™ queue. :pensive:

1 Like

Yes, it seems to happen randomly for me now. The problem disappeared for a while, though.

2 Likes

Does anyone know it there has been progress with fixing this problem?
The L5 cannot be considered reliable for an emergency call! Meaning ā€¦ the battery wonā€™t last that long so if shut down it takes sometimes as many as 5 times or so to start up.

Would be nice if it would be addressed in a timely manner!!

2 Likes

Agreed!!!

Itā€™s time to have this bug resolved.

1 Like

Thats already fixed time ago, but not pushed to byzantium tree. However you can update LNX manually.

Purism is working to get more powersave in S2R and AM.

1 Like

Strangely, I donā€™t think that I have ever had this problem (after 3 years+ of use and across both amber and byzantium, the former without encryption, the latter with). I wonder what the difference is / what the trigger is.

Is it fixed in crimson (@carlosgonz ) and, if so, are you (@amarok) willing to flash crimson?

2 Likes

No, not until itā€™s ready, and I couldnā€™t even if I wanted to.

1 Like

This once happened to me after a quick and easy shutdown from the terminal (a bad idea). Your fix is easier than the one I used, although I donā€™t know if it will work in every case.

Later, I turned the phone on and when the display didnā€™t come up, I thought the phone was off. So I set it down and didnā€™t pick it up for a few weeks. By then, the battery was totally drained. After charging the battery for several days, it stayed dead. So I pulled the battery out, left the power plugged in, and booted the phone that way. With no competition between a very dead battery (a big electrical load) and the phone, the phone booted normally. Then while booted, I pushed the battery in, hoping that the intelligence in the phone would regulate the rate of battery charging. That worked. The phone stayed booted and eventually the battery took a full charge with no damage done.

2 Likes

It happens to me very often.
Then, out of the blue, booting is no problem. After a week or so, that bug is back.

3 Likes

@carlosgonz

Thats already fixed time ago, but not pushed to byzantium tree. However you can update LNX manually.
How can we do this?
Does it afect regular updates?

2 Likes

Just want to say: me too. I have experienced the same problem (for months). I power off my device every night to save energy (plus the security benefit). The next morning, I sometimes have to try 5 times to get the screen on.

2 Likes

I feel like I have never encountered this problem after a year of using L5 (~6 months L5, ~6 months Liberty Phone).

Is the difference that I try to keep battery charge above 40% as much as possible, and usually battery swap to an externally changed battery when it falls below 40%?

For the first several months I didnā€™t know to battery swap while plugged in and would frequently power off the device to so the swap, so its not as if I was avoiding on/off cycles.

1 Like

I do this religiously, too.

1 Like

I suspected this as well, but after keeping the L5 charged near 90%, I noticed that the boot issues where still there.

So now I drain the battery again before charching.

1 Like