Sometimes key presses don't work

I just got my new Librem 14 and excited about it. But I’ve noticed that when pressing keys, sometimes they don’t register at all. After a little testing, I’ve confirmed that this doesn’t happen with the same key, or even consistently. It happens with random keys–sometimes they work, and sometimes they don’t. But if I keep pressing the key a second, third or fourth time, it’ll finally work. Has anyone else had this problem?

I should also note that I’ve tried installing different OSes to see if it were a software issue. But the issue persists, so seems like it must be hardware related.

1 Like

@tovadiratum I see you made a comment here about keys possibly not working when being pressed on the edge vs the center. I may just type to fast to notice when pressing keys on edge. Do you think that may be the case here?

I think you’re the only one who can answer that question.

Ofc but pressing the edge with my fingernail still depresses the whole key. How am I supposed to confirm that I’m pressing the “edge” of a key? I thought that person was using some sort of tool or took the keyboard a part to test. Which is why I was asking.

If you press the edge and the whole key goes down, then it isn’t applicable to you. Some keyboard keys are sloppier than others.

You’re making assumptions and it’s not helpful. If you dont mind, I’d like to wait until the person I actually mentioned can respond. Or from someone who actually has the problem and can reproduce it. Thanks.

I’m not stopping you from waiting for anything. I also am operating off the information you provided. Didn’t realize “physics” was an assumption, though.

At any rate, I’ll happily eff off.

Noticed the same. Keyboard is awful overall.

1 Like

I do notice that some keys don’t press as expected when fast typing. While working through the day, about 2-3 times a days, I have to press the key again to make it work. That is tolerable to me, as long as the keys do not degrade with the time.

2 Likes

Yes, Librem 14 keys are less responsive when pressed at top-left corner (or corners in general) and sometimes there is no hit. It is issue when not looking at keyboard when typing if one is not used to this layout. When looking at the keyboard when typing, responsive key areas are always hit.

3 Likes