[Squeekboard] Ancient Greek layout : diacritics problem

Πρῶτον χαίρετε ὦ ἀγαθοὶ ἄνθρωποι

I would like to make an Ancient Greek layout for squeekboard but I have a big problem: the huge number of diacritics combinations: there are 2 breathings, 3 accents and the iota subscript which combine themselves for 7 vowels.

I am making a layout by noting all possible combinations in different views but it’s really a lot and it’s not practical at all. On my PC I use this layout (in french) : https://debian-facile.org/doc:environnements:x11:disposition-grecque-polytonique it has a very interesting system of composition of the diacritical letters: there are keys which encode the diacritical sign (breathing, accent or iota subscript), this one is then recorded in memory and comes out on the vowel which is then typed.

I would like a similar system for squeekboard by placing a line at the top (similar to the terminal layout one with Ctrl, Alt…) that allows to encode the diacritics that will then appear on the vowel typed after.

Is it currently possible on squeekboard ?

Thank you

1 Like

Χαίρε! (hope I did that right…)

This system is called dead keys and I use it all the time on my laptop for Dutch input (keyboard layout “US International with dead keys” – this is basically the standard input method for Dutch users). I don’t think Squeekboard supports that, but it would be really interesting to have on a mobile keyboard.

1 Like

Χαῖρε !

Ah ok, I’ve heard about the name “dead keys” but didn’t know what is it.
In the terminal layout of squeekboard, aren’t Ctrl, Alt… dead keys ?

Yes, I would also like to have an international English keyboard with dead keys. I regularly have to type characters like äñé¿¡ even when most of the message is in English.

Dead keys can be implemented using separate views. Make the dead key switch to a view that contains the modified letters, and you’re done. The Polish layout is something like that.

You can also directly input Unicode characters, but then you need to enter the unmodified letter first, and then a modifier accent. But messing up is easier, so I don’t recommend.

1 Like

Heh, but ancient Greek is brutal, for example it has:

ᾊ - U+1F8A GREEK CAPITAL LETTER ALPHA WITH PSILI AND VARIA AND PROSGEGRAMMENI,

This would require going through 3 intermediate views. Just by naively going through unicode table of greek diacritics, gave me a total of 33 views, and 9 (sic!) dead keys to go from “unadorned lowercase letters” view.

Things might get cramped.

Edit: not saying this is impossible, but prepare for quite an undertaking.

That’s a lot of views, but they are mostly copy-pasteable (at least for the unaffected characters). I don’t rule out some implementation of dead keys, but I’m going to be more positive towards it if it can’t be implemented using the current system or if it could only with serious shortcomings.

Even better, designing a way to add them without making everything a special-cased mess would make me happy. I failed so far.

dcz: That would be going back to the first system: making several views that contain all possible combinations, but that’s really a lot of views