Squeekboard user survey 2020-01

I’d like small hdog (haptic motor) feedback to be considered #166 #24 . I’d like word/spelling options presented in a helpful manner #54 #99. I’d like special characters accessible #93, I’d like emoji quantity to increase to near full support (so I don’t have to answer the question of “where is the _____ emoji” with the sarcastic “do people use emojis?”) #95. I am shockingly happy with the terminal options, the only area is key modifiers (esc + .) type stuff #170.

• Birch, Chestnut
  • Matrix (Librem One), SMS (Texting), XMPP (Librem One), Browsing (URLs), and various keyboard pop-up needs throughout (Settings, Contacts, etc).
  • Convenience, compatibility, and productivity.
  • I file tickets :slight_smile: and I test :slight_smile: I haven’t pulled source to contribute code (for this sub-project).

Todd.

8 Likes

And please make it possible to disable it too ;-). I dislike it when my phone moves whenever I type.

6 Likes

I agree, I would probably disable it too :slight_smile: but with the ability to fine-tune it I may find the right setting.

4 Likes

Does Ctrl+Shift+u hex… work? Will it work? Is the query about keying or availability of the underlying characters?

4 Likes

I would like to be able to use the long press in keys

Yes, qemu, awaiting for my Evergreen device.

Testing purposes, I will use it for almost everything I use in my Android phone, e-mail, chatting, browsing…

To use special characters that will reduce the time to type in my language.

I’m not programmer but I’ve been helping with the Spanish layout and some other ones.

Thanks to ask to the community.

2 Likes
  • QEMU.
  • Swiping.
  • Convenience (it’s the only big thing I’ll miss from my Android keyboard).
  • I’m not a programmer, but I’m willing to translate the keyboard and probably the whole OS when I get the phone.
1 Like

Something to start with: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/squeekboard/blob/master/doc/tutorial.md and https://developer.puri.sm/Librem5/Development_Environment/Boards/emulators.html

2 Likes

:slight_smile: did i just read the word “emoji” wrapped in quotes ?

couldn’t resist > https://lbry.tv/@Luke:7/minimalist-software-prevents-this:4

there’s a non-snoople link for every p2p in all of us … #lukememe

look for the download button … it’s small :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hi all,

your requests have resulted in the release of 1.9.0.

Stuff that got changed because you mentioned:

• easier to find “/”
  • more emoji

Things that are started but not there yet:

• ctrl/alt on the terminal layout
  • bigger terminal layout
  • text prediction

Thank you all for reporting, and I will start another survey once everyone’s familiar with the new updates.

9 Likes

Nice job thanks!

1 Like

Out of curiosity, does text prediction change with the terminal layout?

For example text prediction prioritising words in chat but commands in terminal?

2 Likes

I’m designing text prediction as a plugin system. I’ll take your suggestion as a consideration for the interface.

5 Likes

+1
… at least in the long run (I‘m also no programmer)

• Text prediction and dictionaries also checking other selected languages
  • simple possibility to switch languages
3 Likes

What do you mean?

You can click on the globe button.

1 Like

Like if I type “senor” it would guess “senior” and “señor” if I had Spanish language installed.

2 Likes

My mother-tongue is German but I (have to) use a lot of English words/expressions. So it would be good to have checked both dictionaries with priority on German when the German keyboard is selected.
This is for sure a ‘nice to have’.

3 Likes

Because last post is older than 4 years, let me try here: due to my big hands and big fingers, is it possible to enlarge keyboard?

1 Like

Let’s not necro this old thread, use the more recent ones on this topic (@irvinewade howabout lock this).

Yes, it’s possible to make you own custom layout. For info for making your own, see thread Librem5 - A custom squeekboard keyboard tutorial (similar thread Librem5 squeekboard) and the manual Welcome to squeekboard’s documentation! — squeekboard documentation

2 Likes

Yes, I have a topic focusing on a custom Squeekboard layout for accessibility purposes:

@dcz listened to my feedback and created GitLab issues for it.

3 Likes

Too late really now. :frowning:

1 Like