Status of Suspend for Librem 5

What you want to look at is /sys/bus/i2c/drivers/tps6598x/0-003f/power_supply/tps6598x-source-psy-0-003f/current_max

or even /sys/class/power_supply/tps6598x-source-psy-0-003f/uevent - easier to remember with some help of tab-completion :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for clarification

This is only 1500000 on Vention Type-C (USB-C) to HDMI / 3x USB3.0 / RJ45 / SD / TF / 3.5mm / PD 0.15M Gray.

When power adapter connected directly, then it is 3000000. The question is, if the limit is given by Librem 5 or the dock has its power pass-through limit or dock knows that it has some own consumption and lowers rating to not exceed power adapter capability. I am not sure if it can be checked if the dock internally negotiated higher voltage with adapter. Purism adapter provides 18 W only at 12 and 9 VDC. On the other hand dock does not include stepdown converter to 5 VDC (only acceptable for Librem 5 for now) so probably choice of 5 VDC, 3A (15W) is only option. Question is, if it can declare for example 2.0 A to pass-trough a and use 5 W for itself. Gigabit ETHERNET is power hungry. HDMI should not be so big problem.

It’s what the dock offers to the phone at 5V.

Yes, I understand, but question is why the dock it lowers rating from 3A @ 5V to 1.5 A @ 5V. 7.5 W is a lot but on the other hand if it should have reserve to drive up to three own USB ports and ETHERNET, than it is in the fact right decision… But I have ports empty by now…

1 Like

I have tried experiment to power dock from 112 W power supply and Librem negotiates 1.5 A @ 5 V only as well. When I try to use I-TEC USB-C Metal Low Profile 4K Triple Display, Power Delivery 85W docking station with its its 112 W power supply, I gen only 0.5 A on Librem 5 side. When I use the same dock with Librem 5 adapter, I get again only 0.5 A. But this big dock is generally designed for big laptops, where it is able to power my DELL Latitude, so may it be on 5 V it uses only some basic minimal pass-through.

You might want to do few tests with providing power to Venton or other docking station from some power bank (preferably from USB-A port, especially if used power bank is not of 5V only type) and get negotiated 2000000 there (10W).

EDIT: As well, the same amount of 10W from some docking station we have reported here:

I tested today the suspend so the autosuspend or manualsuspend or appsuspend always wake up my Librem 5 all time. As i still not using L5 as a daily driver so the test was without modem ON.

Would you have a clear visibility (roadmap) on this subject please?

This is not a troll, but honestly, knowing that the Librem 5 is sold to companies, how can we convince them to buy a phone that can’t come out of standby?

Thanks for your feedback.

2 Likes

Hi,
What do you mean by “appsuspend” ?
How do you enable this ?

1 Like

I tried today if the Librem 5 would wake up from suspend by an incoming phone call. It did not, and after manual waking, the phone soon had no cellular access any more at all. I use the Librem 5 as my daily phone, so I cannot use suspend (yet).

4 Likes

It is temperamental. I have had it work for me, but only on a specific network and in a specific location. Like the MNT Reform which uses the same SoC, suspend works but can be buggy. Sometimes it will freeze or crash when resuming, and the Librem 5 with the cellular modem as an additional component that needs to be added back when resuming the issue is even more complicated.

I use suspend almost exclusively on mine, but I am not worried about getting phone calls on it. For me, I am using the cellular modem as a data connection only.

That said, I do hope that we make continual progress on the stability of suspend on the Librem 5.

3 Likes

It is also my experience, unfortunately. But I understand that suspend is an experimental feature, so we can just keep waiting for an update, I guess it is not something trivial to fix!

1 Like

I did a little test between the Librem 5 suspend and PinePhone Pro Suspend (using Manjaro).

I fully charged the Librem 5, unplugged it around 6 PM and left it overnight with suspend enabled. When I tried reviving it in the morning (around 9 am) it was dead.

I fully charged the PinePhone Pro (which was much faster than the Librem 5), unplugged it around 11 am and left it. I checked it again the next day around 11 am (24 yours later) and it still had 61% left.

1 Like

Would be interesting to know how long PinePhone Pro with PureOS would survive without plugging. This way we can better compare what’s software related and what’s hardware related. But I guess, it’s too much work for you, isn’t it?

But if someone else uses PureOS on Pinephone Pro per default, please post your results here.

Would be interesting to know when it died i.e. was suspend actually working at all?

I had suspend turned on with a 2 minute timeout, that’s all I can tell you.

PureOs does not have a forum at the pinephone forums site (about a dozen OS do have a forum there).

Megi removed it from his multi distro SD card image in November 2020, allegedly because of lack of maintenance.

1 Like

That doesn’t sound normal. 12-15h of battery life is what I get with no suspend enabled at all.

PureOS has never supported any other phone than Librem 5 so far.

1 Like

Is this using stock settings, or do you have a bunch of things tweaked on your phone? Because using standby and only having the phone out of stand by and in use for maybe 20 minutes used in conjunction with a mini X laptop dock, I am barely seeing 11 hours. (6am to 5pm) I think without standby and just on, I would be seeing around 5 hours.

3 Likes

I am more inclined to say that 12-15h of battery life doesn’t sound normal. I have two Librem 5’s and have never been close to a stamina like that on any of them. The best I get (no suspend) is when I am on my home WiFi all day (BT off but cellular on), but not even then I would get more than maybe 8 hours of use. If I leave the house for more than a few hours I always carry a power bank or a spare battery with me.

@dos Please share your settings and conditions when you get 12-15h of battery life on the L5.

4 Likes