Well the debug kernel I have been using/testing for the past 2 weeks has been pretty rock solid. It has taken modem connectivity to about 90% with the remaining 10% just being the time it takes to reconnect when it does sometimes (rarely) drop.
My hope is that the effort that went into this debug kernel will continue to improve, because it really feels like Purism is on to something here. The Librem 5 is such a better Linux phone than all the others currently. That is something to be proud of.
I have two Librem5 phones. Installed the debug kernel above on the one I am not daily driving, and it worked well. Resume from suspend was much, much faster than before and it also wakes up on incoming calls and sms.
With that experience, I installed the same kernel on my primary L5. Resume from suspend is similar although wifi is slower to connect.
I did the following tests with automatic suspend after 1 minute on both and wake up through power button press:
One disturbing observation is that the despite being much slower, the Redpine card establishes a wifi connection in about half the time compared to the Sparclan card. This is of course not a major issue, just slightly annoying as the Sparclan card has up to 10x the speed of the Redpine card.
However, the mysterious issue that my primary L5 still doesn’t wake up on incoming calls or sms is more disturbing. Both phones have the following:
Yes i say uboot, ok if both has same uboot version, then next step is to tell purism upgrade the firmware of the modem that does not work, if after upgrade the firmwre the issue persist, then you need to tell purism send to you a modem hardware that it work, as far i know some modem has hardware issue to wake up from suspend.