SUSI.AI smart speaker release work on Debian

It could work on Librem5
https://www.preining.info/blog/2019/11/susi-ai-smart-speaker-release-20191105/

imo any kind of release to the public of this kind of system should be postponed untill the www infrastructure problem is resolved and 100% open-hardware/free-software is the standard for all things PUBLIC.

it’s not a bad thing that people independantly work on these kind of projects it’s just that the moment of deployment has to be opportune …

Sorry but what do you mean by that?

the first step is this …

the second is the mesh p2p decentralised internet (very expensive with current technology and patent/copyright issues that are present in the server and monster-server-farms out-there)

1 Like

Apache is FLOSS, nginx is FLOSS, so I’m not sure what do you mean.
Decentralized web - yes, that’s how it started and how it was till google, facebook, amazon and others came. But it was made centralized by users, it users which are using centralized services. The web itself is decentralized. I’m running my own instances of services I need, including mail, chat, web, vpn, pim. So - the problem is in the heads, not in the technology.

3 Likes

indeed.

quite true. and the surveilance-capitalist head is saying … moar data !

What is FLOSS? Or did you mean FOSS?

Free/Libre Open Source Software, which helps distinguish between free as in freedom and free as in gratis.

4 Likes

or just gnu/linux-libre for the free-software-foundation respect-your-freedom certification for acredited distributions. not all of them are … with the exception of Debian that has a so-so software distribution policy that resembles the RYF but not quite (if you need unofficial non-free firmware packages to load into some of those weird-hardware drivers). the RYF is not-compliant with this type of compromise at the kernel level.

I wanted to just say “thanks” but the forum software won’t let me post anything less than 20 characters.

1 Like

thanksabunchguysgals

(above was twenty characters)

Just so you know, you don’t have to host a skill on AWS (you can use your own server) . Also, it takes alexa about 10 - 15 seconds to reinitialize when powered on (at least on my home wifi) so it’s not that much of an inconvenience to use a dot or echo with the clapper (remember:Clap on, Clap off…The Clapper!). See, I think the FSF missed a golden campaign opportunity because when Amazon switched over to Apache 2 licensing, they could have had the slogan “Give Alexa the clap” ! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I was saying about decentralized web and own services - I run them on raspberry which lays somewhere… i don’t even remember where. And i never used alexa or dot or whatever so I didn’t understand what did you mean by that clap thingy :slight_smile: I have another raspberry with 7" touch screen which serves as home controller and runs fhem.

1 Like

@ruff

Ah, I thought you were talking about something like GNUnet or I remember vaguely Eben Moglen was on about some sort of freedom box appliances which were essentially ad hoc network nodes years ago (but they never came to be :frowning: )

Oh, {sorry, youtube link =>} the clapper’s got nothing to do with amazon and I’m not sure I’d feel the same way if it were(?) because it is an independent way of controlling her power.

Oh that old one clap to rule them all :slight_smile: I didn’t see that particular commercial but I knew others with the same meaning. I thought there’s some new clap sequence to drive electric brains nuts :slight_smile:

As for DHT-based services - it has some merits in some cases but it’s rather corner case. Eg non-interactive bulk-file transfer - yes it may save bandwidth on international links and yes it’s harder to control. But that’s about it. Eg I’ve tried to use LBRY which is kind of distributed content network for real-time interactive content delivery - it doesn’t work for me. And i fully understand why - because of limitations of this concept.
More reliable optimisation is being achieved now by CDN - but that is again yet another centralized service with distributed delivery :slight_smile:
Ether way I don’t want to access my server via either DHT or TOR network. This is real decentralisation which was in the concept of internet creators - different services provided by different nodes. But people have tendency to coalesce into the crowd. so decentralisation is agains human nature :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agreed and most likely why we’re seeing a “return to the mainframe” now :frowning: I’m not entirely sure straight advocacy is the answer this time round though. We’re different as a culture (at least here in North America) and people are generally selfish fu#ks now :frowning: I think this time Freedoms and defensive rights are going to have to be bundled with something people want too. Kinda like persuading a kid to eat green beans by slathering them with cheese sauce (ok, ok, I’m actually talking about myself here :wink: ). The trick is going to be finding out what those, ethical, wants that can be bundled are…

1 Like

but how would we preserve accountability in a decentralised internet ?

if you are walking in a crowded street and someone stabs you by surprise how would you know who did it ? or how would the police find out who did it ? i think we are down the rabbit hole either way …

1 Like

If you’re speaking about torrent/DHT - you don’t because you have no idea what you are getting until you get and see. That fact was heavily abused on eDonkey network where thousands of fake peers and seeders were hampering the downloads and injecting malware into them. You have only possibility to integrity check the piece that it does belong to the torrent you’re trying to download. But as for the torrent itself… only your own judgment.
If you speaking about web - you know where you are connecting to explicitly (except redirect case but that also could easily be avoided).

2 Likes