Today is April 30th. Dogwood expedition begins tomorrow

Let’s not exaggerate, I trust purism and the goal they want to achieve and absolutely of the employees who write and also make wonderful articles here.
I am critical of the way society communicates which, in my opinion, is far from optimal.
Regards

1 Like

or maybe it’s the lockdown smell getting the best of us :mask:

60 ghz 5G FTW !:scream::crazy_face::weary:

So it is a “society communication” problem. I don’t know why but that brings Fred Flintstone to my kind. On the other hand, do you know how things are going with Ubports and Postmarket people regarding the L5? They were supposed to be working on this project as part of a community. We were told to be free of running UT or Postmarket OSes if not comfortable with PureOS. I am afraid we’re going to be stocked with PureOS for a long while wether we like it or not, unless we are savvy enough to make the move ourselves. I am not that good so… am I exaggerating? Maybe is just me…

2 Likes

the thing is we’re facing a major economic disruption and some of the things happening behind the curtain are disturbing to say the least … would you really blame them if some of those “savvy enough” decided to take a step back ? and tend to other more immediate dangers ? what if - what if ? …

That’s for Purism to say. It is a communication issue, an eternal one. You are in the “what if” mode and there’s no need for it. I strongly believe Purism owes información to the crowdfunding community when there is a need for one. It is not unrealistic to expect information about critical issues that are coming my way like that question or yours if I am not mistaking you: what battery are we getting with Dogwood or Evergreen? You wouldn’t have to ask that question if Purism took the time to keep us up to date about the battery issue. BTW this one is a horrible problem. People who got Chesnut were supposed to get a more powerful battery but something happened and I am afraid they are stuck with the wrong one. I didn’t see any communication saying to these people the battery is going to be replaced by Purism. The other thing is the heating issue. I wouldn’t like to get my phone having that problem still to be solved. I would prefer to wait but I need to know what to expect. About the savvy ones I mean supporters like me who get their way around Linux but cellphones are a different world. I wouldn’t care if I knew enough to kill PureOS and make that phone work with UT or something else. I don’t feel comfortable with the idea of depending on Purism. Not with its communication problems.

1 Like

Here great updates about battery issue:

5 Likes

this is very good :muscle::muscle::muscle:

1 Like

Has Dogwood started shipping? If no, is there an updated ship date? and are the delays mundane or more troublesome?

It has not started shipping yet. Unfortunately, I’m not able to give you an update on the release schedule. You will have to wait for an official update from someone who can provide that information and any other related details. Sorry about that. :frowning_face:

7 Likes

that was me being silly and lazy at the same time :sweat_smile: i seem to have vaguely remembered something about it a while back but couldn’t quite remember if it was in a video pre-overview or here on the Purism forum … so i ended up basically just bumping the thread and making people remember about it …

this is quite funny since the whole world seems to have this problem these days … but yeah it would be nice if it was NOT a problem …

I agree that this is a problem, and I would rather that Purism be less optimistic in its timelines and use more approximate dates like “Q2” instead of “End of April” in its announcements.

I used to work at tech company where this happened all the time. Every software update and every new feature always took longer than we expected. The clients hated us because every date we gave them was wrong.

3 Likes

So Purism aren’t refunding money? I bought into this with the hope, and expectation, that for me in Australia that the L5 would ship with a modem that would give me what I need in regional Australia. As it is now I don’t have that confidence. Did I not read when I paid that a refund was possible up until when the phone ships?

There have been no reviews singular to Australia to let me know if it will work where I live. This is very distubing for me as I have been waiting for some news regarding a suitable modem (they did say ages ago that the required variant being available was a " high probability"). My current phone is just about fucked and Evergreen, where I am, is being shipped who knows when. I had been considering getting a refund and going with any number of available alternatives.

I did read that about the refund didn’t I? I’m worried about what appears to be changing rules that could land me with a $1000 aud phone of limited use. How us this behaviour ok?!

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I’ve only seen it stated by a (or maybe multiple) forum user(s) that they’re not giving refunds/accepting cancellations. If you are dead set on cancelling I would reach out to them via email for an official statement over hearsay on the forum.

I’m not saying the user(s) is(are) lying, but rather that it may not be a simple yes/no answer that applies to everyone, also a pre-order is, to my knowledge, different than backing a crowdfunding campaign so there may be different rules depending on when/how a person gave money to Purism regarding the Librem 5.

Just a thought.

2 Likes

I don’t intend to get a refund and I don’t even think about it :slight_smile: but I would like to understand where you saw this news, the sources please?
Regards

1 Like

I presume you mean where it has been said that they’re no longer offering refunds. Most recently (only?) Here in this thread.

Note this is from a user not a Purism employee which is why I say to reach out to Purism in my post.

Being as admsjas mentioned being a part of the original crowdfunding campaign that may impact their ability to request a refund as opposed to someone whom pre-ordered at a later date. Or maybe there’s other specifics that come into play that I don’t know about… For the most relevant information for your own circumstances emailing Purism is likely the best way to go.

1 Like

Just look at the FAQ. They update it from time to time, so it’s worth it to check it regularly:

Can I get a refund on my phone pre-order?

Per our policy, we can not provide refund for orders that are in the pre-order status.

Now that we have placed the “Evergreen” batch order, your funds are locked into that order. We can’t refund those funds until the phone goes from “pre-order” to “shipping now” status. Once the phone (final, mass production build batch) pre-orders start shipping and we reach your order in the queue, we will refund the full amount you paid, unless you change your mind.

9 Likes

But what is the reason for such a policy? I understand that it is more expensive for Purism to refund if Purism have already ordered hardware for that order, but why would a refund be possible later in that case? I don’t understand this.

1 Like

It may be a logistics thing (pure speculation). It may be that they need to have X number of phones because they have X number of preorders, but the paperwork involved would be too much of a hassle if the number they needed or said they needed were to change all the time, arbitrarily. Once the acquisition process is complete and they have X phones in-house, they can then more easily refund and just add the excess to their stock.

Just a guess. Either way, its a tough situation to be in, but its their policy, which means its written down somewhere, which means orderers had access to the information before ordering. I won’t argue if you gripe about it, but sometimes it bes that way.

1 Like

It also sharpens focus about why a person wants to cancel an order.

Is it because of concern that the phone will never be delivered? In that case, the rules as quoted above would make the person’s decision illogical - particularly as a later, second change of mind is likely to lead to a more expensive (full price) phone, as compared with the pre-order or backer price.

Is it because of concern about functionality? By the time they get to you in the queue, the questions may have been cleared up.

Is it because of change of circumstances?

2 Likes

Proof for my heretical statement.

1 Like

That sounds reasonable enough from Purism whatever their reasons. It fits with what I had read and provides me with reassurance. For now I’m thinking of getting a Fairphone perhaps and putting my L5 back to Fir where hopefully it will be getting to be pretty slick and ready.

Thanks for the clarification.

3 Likes