Translations and virtual touch keyboards - tracking localization

So, updated. But I could not produce Ç+^ or ç+^ (is that even possible, only found Ḉḉ) - did I misunderstand or can you put it here for copy paste?

views:
    base:
        - "a z e r t y u i o p"
        - "q s d f g h j k l m"
        - "Shift_L   w x c v b n ç   BackSpace"
        - "show_numbers show_eschars preferences         space        , period Return"
    upper:
        - "A Z E R T Y U I O P"
        - "Q S D F G H J K L M"
        - "Shift_L   W X C V B N Ç  BackSpace"
        - "show_numbers show_eschars preferences         space        ? period Return"
    numbers:
        - "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0"
        - "@ # € % & - _ + ( )"
        - "show_symbols   , \" ' colon ; ! ?  BackSpace"
        - "show_letters show_eschars preferences         space        ? period Return"
    symbols:
        - "~ ` | · √ π τ ÷ × ¶"
        - "© ® £ $ ¥ ^ ° * { }"
        - "show_numbers   \\ / < > = [ ]  BackSpace"
        - "show_letters show_eschars preferences         space        ? period Return"
    eschars:
        - "â Â à À æ Æ ä î Î ï"
        - "ê Ê è È œ Œ ë é É ö"
        - "show_numbers   ' ÿ ù û ü ô Ô  BackSpace"
        - "show_letters show_eschars preferences         space        « » Return"

No ahah. I was talking about the âÂ, êÊ, îÎ and so on, as I didn’t see it on the @uzanto’s screenshots.^^

Your last proposition is the best that we can achieve for now in my opinion.

EDIT: actually, the çÇ is not useful anymore in the fifth panel in my opinion. But it’s also a thing of habits. Maybe another french speaker could tell us if it makes sense for him.

I edited it again [to the last version above] and removed çÇ from the eschar view because they were already used. Also, because I had miscalculated (one too many characters in that row), and replaced with " ’ ". It’s a double as well, but might speed up writing when you don’t have to search for it from another view… or would some other character be even more useful (this may go to the area of “over optimization” at this point - can be changed later depending on feedback)?

@JR-Fi: Thank you very much for this overview!

One of the things we will be missing very soon is some kind of “best practices”. ATM we can take a look at the other layouts to learn how to make a good layout, but as things get more fragmented (with more layouts), it’s getting harder to find the “best” way to create a layout and have a consistent UX over different layouts (of similar kind).

For the German layout, it was quite easy as it doesn’t need a lot of special characters. I just had to take an existing layout and modify it a little bit. But even in this simple case I had to decide if I wanted to keep the German umlauts in a special layer (with “äÄ” as the switch key) or put them on the main layout. I decided to keep them in a special layer to avoid cluttering the basic view and avoid shrinking the button size. But that was just my personal opinion! It’s probably neither good nor bad - just a thing of personal preference.

Some small points I noticed as I made the German layout (and that should be consistent over all layouts IMO):

• Do we want the switch key between numbers and letters to be upper case letters “ABC” as in the original US layout or lower case letters “abc” as we have it in some layouts now?
  • The preferences key (globe symbol) should probably be consistent over layouts and use the “special” outline
  • The view/button named “eschars” comes from the Spanish layout. For German I renamed it to “dechars”, but maybe we want a more generic name there? What about “accchars” for accented characters?

Are there other things I missed?

My general understanding of the key color in the layouts is this: All keys that produce a normal character/letter output are “light grey” and other special keys as the “settings” key, “bachspace” key and keys that switch to another layers like “ABC”/“123” are “dark grey”. I hope that this inference I made is correct.

The only very different layout at the moment is the Japanese Kana layout. I tried to add some comments in the YAML file to document some of the special things done there - hope that helps a bit.

What do you think? Discussion welcome… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent points. They may not seem relevant to individual user or at the moment but later one they might start to irk, so it’s good to get them settled now. I’m happy with your points being here and agree with them, but I think a copy should also be submitted to somewhere in git and/or dev mailing list, maybe(?).

(and btw. I thought “eschars” was from extra or especial characters… :wink: )

1 Like

Good idea - but let’s wait a bit until we have some more comments in this thread and can make a list of initial “best practices”. @dcz: What do you think about a “best practice” document in the git repos?

Interesting… that’s an example of how different people interpret the same code in different ways… then I’ll take a note to correct this in the next MR for the German layout. Your interpretation seems reasonable :wink:

1 Like

Best practices would be useful, and I started an issue on the documentation repository: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/developer.puri.sm/issues/143 for the general idea of keyboard docs.

What I think would be even more useful than best practices is a basic introduction and format description. As I’m putting all my effort to pack new features in, and you guys have figured it out already, it would be extremely cool to have such a document.

If anyone is already working on best practices, tutorials or whatever, please make a MR in the keyboard repo. If we later decide to use the main docs, we can move the files there.

I took a look at Zanata just now: someone has translated phosh to latin :nerd_face: :+1: :amphora: :classical_building:
… now that’s old school :sunglasses:

(I’ll update the table again this evening)

1 Like

eschars was for ‘especial’ and I did the change from ABC to abc because you are going to lower case when you press there really.

I think it’s a good idea to do the best practices entry and then everybody can suggest any change in there.

1 Like

Thanks for making that clear - then it’s OK for most layouts and I will patch mine (back to “eschars”) to be in line with the rest :sweat_smile:

With your explanation, I vote for the lower case version “abc”, too :+1::smile:

For me it’s ok like this.

I’ve started using it as a way to take breaks from other work. :slight_smile: I’m working on Chatty now.

It’s been years since I studied Latin, and I’m by no means an expert, so if any of the translations seem incorrect, I’m open to feedback.

1 Like

I’ll try to pound out Pure Maps Japanese translation this weekend. Note that Japanese is mispelt in the screenshot for ‘Languages’ col (Japanise)

1 Like

Corrected and updated: Turkish among others previously added. Next update to the table during the weekend, maybe.

Merge request for fr.yaml done

2 Likes

Table updated.

Gnome translations collectively increased +10% but not much happened to L5 apps last week. Participation is appreciated, I would imagine. Only a few words here and there, is all that’s needed at a time.

I did a quick check and a few cases, layouts need only tweaking of a few characters, after which they can be copied and renamed layouts for another language. Catalan, Danish, Esperanto, Basque and Czech, to name some. They still need native-level to verify that most used characters are in logical places or where they are commonly used on a layout.

I would love to add Arabic to the keyboard layouts, but I don’t know where would I find the files to translate, can someone guide me please?

I already discovered how to translate Phosh and Chatty (in Zanata), but I have to idea about the keyboard layouts.

Thank you.

It’s long overdue to write a comprehensive guide how to add a keyboard layout from start. But unfortunately, I don’t have much time left ATM. A lot of information can be found in this thread.

So at least I will try to start writing a short how-to here and edit this post as I find the time. Hope this helps a bit - comments and corrections welcome.

Get one of the existing keyboard layouts

• You can get one of the keyboards from the squeekboard git repository : https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/squeekboard
  • The keyboard layouts are located in the subdirectory data/keyboard/ in the .yaml files
  • Take a look and try to understand them :slight_smile:

Fork your own copy of squeekboard

• Best way would be to start with a fork of the squeekboard repository: Create a user account at https://source.puri.sm/, go the the squeekboard git repository, press “Fork” in the web interface. You can find further instructions here.
  • Clone your fork locally with git clone and use the uri of your forked repo there

Workflow to edit your keyboard and get it merged

• A generic guide how the workflow to contribute works, can be found at https://developer.puri.sm/Librem5/Contact/Contributing.html
  • Create a branch: Name it “keyboard-layout-mylanguage” or whatever
  • Checkout your branch, edit your keyboard layout and commit your changes
  • Push the local changes (to the branch of your fork of squeekboard)
  • Create a merge request for the branch to get your changes merged to the official squeekboard git repository

Compile squeekboard

Running squeekboard

• Follow these instructions to run squeekboard: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/squeekboard/blob/master/README.md#running
  • Additionally take a look at https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/squeekboard/blob/master/HACKING.md#testing
  • You can either test it locally on your Linux system or use the QEMU Librem 5 image
  • To test squeekboard locally, you need phoc. Either compile that from the sources as well or use the CI repository ci.puri.sm for Debian based systems:
    deb [arch=amd64] http://ci.puri.sm/ scratch librem5
    Squeekboard can be installed from there as a Debian package, too (that’s what I often do). But beware - there be dragons! You could bork your system with these packages and you should probably disable this repository again after installing what you need - these packages are not meant for production systems (or so I heard :wink: )

Creating the keyboard layout

• To be written: For the time being, take a look at Using non-latin language on Librem 5
  • The correct name of the .yaml file can be found with the command gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.input-sources sources
    The output should be something like this: [('xkb', 'us'), ('xkb', 'de')]
    So f.ex. “de.yaml” would be the correct name for the German keyboard layout.
  • The translations for the keyboard layout names in the different languages can be found at data/langs/
  • Don’t forget to add your newly created layout or translation to src/resources.rs and the layout to tests/meson.build (that’s for me, because I always forget it)

Testing the layout

• Copy your yaml file to ~/.local/share/squeekboard/keyboards/ for testing purposes. From there it should get picked up by squeekboard
  • To test the translations in data/langs/, you have to compile squeekboard
9 Likes

This is awesome. Do you mind if I take it and put into the official keyboard docs? (and possibly developer.puri.sm ?) If yes, then I’m going to bump providing good documentation a little on my list.

2 Likes

Sure, please do if you think it’s OK. I just thought this wasn’t in a state to do even a MR yet. But I wanted to provide something for newcomers… :blush:

1 Like