Unable to boot on PureOS Live USB from Librem Mini v1

Hello,

I want to install the last version of PureOS on my Librem Mini v1, unfortunately, it seems the device is stucked during the boot of the live USB.

From the PureBoot BIOS UI, I can access the USB boot menu and start the ‘test_or_install_pureos’ item. But, past that selection, the screen remains blank and go to sleep mode after some times.

PureBoot is at release 29 and I create the LiveUSB device using fedora media writer.

The Live USB works because I can boot on it from my other hosts.

1 Like

@jonathon.hall

What happens when you use a different USB port? What about a different monitor?

1 Like

Good suggestions above - it’s probably either an issue initializing the display, or a problem communicating with the flash drive causing boot to fail at an early stage.

What flash drive are using? If you’re using a USB 2.0 flash drive, try a USB 3.0 flash drive, or vice versa (and be sure to plug a USB 3.0 flash drive into a blue port).

What display are you using, and which port is it connected to (HDMI or DisplayPort)? Can you try another display or another connection? If it’s a TV, try a PC monitor.

If you have an installed OS, does the display work when booting the installed OS?

2 Likes

Hello,

I have tried at least one port in each column of USB port.
I have tried with 2 brands of displays, acer and LG, on HDMI port.

According to the output of the lsusb command below, the USB stick is a USB 2.0.

Bus 001 Device 008: ID 8564:1000 Transcend Information, Inc. JetFlash
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.10
  bDeviceClass            0 [unknown]
  bDeviceSubClass         0 [unknown]
  bDeviceProtocol         0 
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x8564 Transcend Information, Inc.
  idProduct          0x1000 JetFlash
  bcdDevice           11.00
  iManufacturer           1 JetFlash
  iProduct                2 Mass Storage Device
  iSerial                 3 15J0V04NK4WHAKUK
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength       0x0020
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0 
    bmAttributes         0x80
      (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower              300mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
      bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
      bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk-Only
      iInterface              0 
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
Binary Object Store Descriptor:
  bLength                 5
  bDescriptorType        15
  wTotalLength       0x0016
  bNumDeviceCaps          2
  USB 2.0 Extension Device Capability:
    bDescriptorType        16
    bDevCapabilityType      2
    bmAttributes   0x00000002
      HIRD Link Power Management (LPM) Supported
  SuperSpeed USB Device Capability:
    bLength                10
    bDescriptorType        16
    bDevCapabilityType      3
    bmAttributes         0x00
    wSpeedsSupported   0x000c
      Device can operate at High Speed (480Mbps)
      Device can operate at SuperSpeed (5Gbps)
    bFunctionalitySupport   2
      Lowest fully-functional device speed is High Speed (480Mbps)
    bU1DevExitLat           4 micro seconds
    bU2DevExitLat           4 micro seconds
Device Status:     0x0000
  (Bus Powered)

I have an OS installed, but I don’t remember in which state it is, which is why I want to re-install everything. I will try to boot on the thing, thou.

As a side question, is there a way to see the progress of checking the signature of all files PureBoot is scanning at start up. I do recall I have installed GUIX on the Librem Mini and by design the kernel and its assoiated files are not stored on a separeate /boot partition, so PureBoot needs to scan the whole FS, which can take some times.

1 Like

I can’t even boot on the installed OS or sign the content of /boot, because PureBoot can’t find /boot. So it means the installed system is pretty broken.

1 Like

According to the writings on the USB stick it is a USB 3.0 peripheral, and not USB 2.0.

1 Like

Sounds similar as here … USB ports of mini not working ?

1 Like

PureBoot currently requires a separate /boot partition. That’s why it can’t find /boot on your system. coreboot/SeaBIOS can boot an OS installed this way, but PureBoot currently cannot. I don’t know offhand if Guix can be installed with a separate /boot partition.

From the lsusb output, it’s a USB 3.0 device, but it is most likely plugged into a USB 2.0 port (one of the black front ports). I know you mentioned that you’ve tried each column though, so you’ve tried a USB 3.0 port as well.

Do you have another USB flash drive that you can try? It seems that it must have worked once (possibly with a different flash drive) since you were able to install Guix at some point in the past.

It does sound similar to the USB issues that a few users have mentioned like @howil , those range from “a single particular device not working” to “almost no USB 2.0 devices work”, so it is worth trying another flash drive to see if we can work around it that way while the issues are investigated.

1 Like

I have made big progress with identifying the root cause. It looks like an issue with PureOS and PureBoot and possibly the librem mini.

I burnt the PureOS image on the same USB stick with both fedora media writer and etcher, with the same result when I try to boot on it. I also tried with a fedora workstation 39, burnt using etcher and fedora media writer. In both cases, I manage to boot on the USB device, with no issue and I can access the hardware of the host.

As stated in my initial post, I am able to boot on the PureOS image from the USB stick on a host with coreboot, so it looks like PureBoot and PureOS are not the best friends in town.

2 Likes

Thanks @montaropdf , I’m glad you were able to boot!

Were you using the image from here? Download PureOS

I boot PureOS with PureBoot several times a day, and we ship that combination, so if I can identify this problem I’d like to get it sorted out.

2 Likes

i, indeed, download the image from that location.

Did you boot on a librem mini v1?
It is still not impossible some peculiarities of the device, gets in the way.

1 Like

I do boot that on Mini v1 often, and I just tried again today to make sure, and also tried downloading the image again. It still works on mine, so I don’t have an explanation for the failure.

It could have to do with some peculiarity of the device / flash drive / something. Since it’s solved for you though, I don’t want to take up more of your time troubleshooting it, unless you really want to :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like